Where Theres Wheat Theres REALE Silver

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where There's Wheat There's REALE Silver

The wife wanted me to install front brakes on her vehicle today. :BangHead: I told her it will happen this weekend, but I have to go get some dirt fishing in. I drove North of town and got permission to hunt a farm house that was built in the late 1890's. :icon_thumleft: No keeper coins were found there, but I did find two of the original members of the "Village People", the Indian and Sailor. I also dug a cool older junk broach. I can go back there anytime, great people. I left and looked for a couple permissions in town on a few of the properties that I have been eye balling. One is a rental property. I did talk to one of the tenants and found out where the owner lives.

I couldn't go home yet so I went to the football practice field to swing the coil an postulate where I should go next. I dug some clad and then it dawned on me to go do some tree lawns (curb strips). The dog tag came from a church tree lawn and on another two curb strips in front of older vacant houses I dug 7 wheats (1945, 50Dx2, 51D, 55D, 57D & a 58D). I also dug a 1957 Canadian cent and a 1956 nickel. :thumbsup:

Well, since I dug the wheats I figured there just had to be a silver Rosie or something there. Little did I know that I was going to find my oldest coin. I dug a sweet signal and saw a thin silver colored disk, so thin that I thought maybe it was a knock-out of some sort. When I pulled it out I noticed the back of the coin and knew I dug my first Reale. It is very smooth but it has a readable date. 1780 Reale folks, welcome the newest member of the 1700's club. :hello:

Not to bad for an Ohio hunter in a town that was not settled until 1818 I believe. It didn't become a town until the 1830's.

Reale Front & Back

20160604_163257.jpg 20160604_163310.jpg

Today's Notable Finds

20160604_163235.jpg

All of Today's Finds (less trash)

20160604_163019.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH

Upvote 57
OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOCO DIGGER YOU ARE A BAD ASS HUNTER !!
It's not easy to find old silver like that !
Your right you have to think outside the box
Great job can't wait to see you guys I've got s great spot for us to hunt !! Hh gl

Thanks Charlie, I can't wait to hunt with you and Steve soon. Gonna be a blast, never a dull moment with you guys.

holy smokes man big time grats

Thanks Murray, I hope I can get to sleep tonight.

Very nice find Kevin. I did a zoom of the pics you sent me and as I told you, I see an "M" where the Mint mark is, which means although the "o" above it is worn off, it's a Mexico City Mint coin.

So about that visit in a week....I'm taking you to crappy spots now that you found this!!! Lol.

What an great find. Congrats and welcome to the 1700's/1700's silver/Spanish silver/Spanish silver from Ohio clubs

Thanks Steve and thanks for the mint mark ID. I had to send you a pic, it was just that good of a find. Did you mean Scrappy spots? :tongue3: I am looking so forward to heading back East and detecting with you and Charlie. Life is great. :thumbsup:

Hi Loco; Great Find. Welcome to the Club. May you find many more. PEACE:RONB

Thanks Ronb. It's been a job getting into the club. Well worth it though.

OMG!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! :occasion14: :headbang: :hello2::notworthy:

Thanks Terry maybe I'll need a bone to help me sleep tonight ya know, one of the Bogart brand.

Wtg on the Spanish Silver . It must be the yr for them . I know I found my first this year and there was a couple others if I remember correctly . Congrats and happy digging

Thanks 46W, It's great to check one off the bucket list. I believe the Canadian cent and nickel will fill slots in my coin folders. (the folders are only for dug coins). That's 2 more wins today. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - that's a great find anytime in OH, very difficult to get into the 1700s here. Congrats.

Thanks MM, so right you are. I thought I'd have to go to NJ or NY to dig something from the 18th century.

A curb strip real. Thats got to be a first. Well done

Thanks toasted, I still to stoked to ponder the question of how it got there and the history it has.

Congrats on entering the 1700s! (I'm still waiting on my first Reale).

Thanks Dave, you can stop waiting. Like I stated a couple times earlier, just know it's going to happen.

Sweet!!!
That is totally awesome!!! Congrats on your oldest Reale!!!
May you find its friends too!

Thanks Msbpbp. It beat my oldest coin by 32 years. My oldest before the Reale is an 1812 5 Francs from "The Brick House"

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow dude! Congrats on cracking the 1800 barrier with Spanish SILVER!

Thanks JC, now I need to concentrate on breaking into the 17th century. But a Morgan would be sweet too.

That sir is a GREAT FIND, :occasion14: Congrats!!!

Thanks Spede, never thought I'd find that coin there, I was hoping for a a Rosie from the 50's to match the era of the nickel. wheats and the Canadian cent.

Congrats on both counts Loco! I also found a 'holed' 1789 2Reale when I first started metal detecting a couple of years ago right across the street. It was also my first 1700's coin. Some coincidence!

Thanks 2m, Sounds like your reale is much bigger. Man the 1/2 reale is so thin... Maybe I need to change my name to 2Loco-Digger. :dontknow: You think that will help me dig a 2 Reale?

THATS A REAL REALE FOR SURE , AND THE OLE LEAD SOLDIERS ARE PRETTY COOL ,NICE FINDS LOCO..

Thanks sutphin, it's great having you back. The soldiers are going to display nicely in the printers drawer that is dedicated to toys and other kiddie items.

Geez ,I'd a lost a bet on you scratching out a Reale on a curb strip.
Just shows to go us non seventeen hundreds swingers though....:notworthy:

Thanks RC, glad you saved your money. I hope you dig one soon.

There were quite a few Indians in the area, I also know there were a few Indian mounds around the township close to town. I wonder if it may have been dropped by an Indian? Could a reale have been traded to the Indians? Or was it a birth year coin from one of the early settlers?

Big congrats! It's holed making it even more personal to who ever wore/carried it secured.
Now you can wear it while hitting the honey do list.:laughing7:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Loco! I know you've been wanting to get in to that club for a long while now. You deserve it!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HECK YES!! You did it!!!!! :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:

Thanks ZK, Heck Yes I sure did. You gotta love the high from finding a bucket lister that gets you into another century. :headbang:

Lol, this is a coincidence, I got a Real today too! Yours is better than mine becasue you found yours in the ground so it has a historical connection to the land it was in. I found mine in a bin of foreign coins at an antique shop for 25 cents... it's just not as cool finding them this way. Way to go digging it up after it being lost for over 200 years! :treasurechest::icon_pirat:-Pirate club!

Thanks UnderMiner You are so right. Coins like that feed the fire and is one of the fringe benefits of our passion.

village people...thats great

Thanks FR, I try to put a little humor in my posts. Glad you got it, some might not.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Loco! I know you've been wanting to get in to that club for a long while now. You deserve it!

Thanks for the kind words Monster. You gotta have goals, and by reinforcing them here in my posts it helps them become a reality. :icon_thumleft:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, you hit the bucket list instead of the honey do list! That makes it even better. The hole probably explains how that sweet coin made it to the Midwest. I can only dream of a find like that. Way to go

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dedication, imagination and ingenuity.........
You sure put those qualities to work on your hunts!! Congratulations and keep stackin' those old goodies.........:thumbsup:
......oh, and get the brakes done......."happy wife........." :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you getting the good stuff.I always like hearing your input on things always nice things to say . Great job my friend my turn next!!!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thin silver is better than no silver! Old thin silver with a 1700's date is pretty dang good too!
Congratz

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats buddy, I'm very happy for you, I hope you find some more! :-)

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin! I love how it is worn everywhere except the date...perfect! Welcome to the club.

metaldetkid

Apr 15, 2016
Fayetteville NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, and AT Pro, Ace 400
PINPOINTER: Garrett propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question is not where, but when I will get in your fancy club.:notworthy: Great find !!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible find. That "Holed Coin" was probably a piece of jewelry for someone. One thing for sure, it wasn't minted in Ohio.
Congrats

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
What can you say except congrats on being the newest member of the 1700's club! All of your instincts were in play that day:thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on something I'm still hunting for, although its more a Cob I would like, this would do for the time being.

I guess it fixes well with your area, as the 'wear' would suggest a loss in the mid-19th C.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hearty congratulations, Loco! Spanish silver and two old toy soldiers too. What a day to remember. Sub 8-)

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LD!! You found a Reale!!!!! Awesome!! You must be stoked! On my bucket list, I'm still searching. You had me laughing with the village people thing. Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread