austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Any good jewelry store. Just kidding. They say there is gold in the Guadalupe Mtns. in West Texas, but who knows. Geology is wrong I heard. Gold in Sandy Creek right south of Llano, but it is powder(?) gold and it is extremely hard to recover. There are legends like the lost Texas rangers and the deposit they found or the Franklin Mtns. mine above El Paso, but seriously. The Llano uplift area(igneous) is a billion year old rock formation. A UT geology prof told us that any gold in central Texas had washed away or eroded over time, if there was any to begin with. So you are on your own. I can tell you that if you go up to Brady, then east for about 10-15 miles you can find silver in the creeks. Look for black rocks, pebble to hand size, scratch the thing and if you see shiny, well you have pura plata. Those are free for the taking. Good luck and don't chase the legends...

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin is right-in a jewelry store.That's why i'm flying to Phoenix on the 19th to meet with a realtor to look at 3-4 houses in Wickenburg,gonna try that for a couple of years.

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for gold in rivers,the gold underground was mined in 1900's.
Rivers carry many cool stuff,i don't know a lot about Texas even though I've been there a few times.
I am not an expert at gold mining or panning because i am waiting for the time when i can pan for gold.
I do know yet a lot about gold.
To me,Rivers carry gold that never shines.

OP
OP
dan roberts jr
Jul 31, 2012
Ok ill going to try a couple places around here.i do alot of hiking in the surrounding states ill start taking a pan with me.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for gold in rivers,the gold underground was mined in 1900's.
Rivers carry many cool stuff,i don't know a lot about Texas even though I've been there a few times.
I am not an expert at gold mining or panning because i am waiting for the time when i can pan for gold.
I do know yet a lot about gold.
To me,Rivers carry gold that never shines.

Where are you from? There is no gold in Texas. The place it would have been is precambrian rock over a billion years old. Any gold washed away millions of years ago. And gold has never been mined here because it doesn't exist here.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some actual facts.......

http://www.icmj2.com/01Oct/01OctFeature.htm

Gold Mining In Texas

Gold mining has not been extensive in Texas, as the occurrence of the metal is limited. Main production, confined to the Presidio and Hazel mines in West Texas and the Heath mine in the Llano district, amounted to a total of 8,277 fine ounces by 1942 and was valued at $233,499. Most of the gold produced has come as the byproduct of silver and copper ores, but traces of it occur in the Shafter, Van Horn, Allamoore, and Quitman mountains, and in Howard, Taylor, Irion, Uvalde, and Williamson counties with other rocks and ores. Since the closing of the Presidio mine in September 1942 there has been little production of gold.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Thomas J. Evans, Gold and Silver in Texas (Mineral Resource Circular 56 [Austin: Bureau of Economic Geology, 1975]). University of Texas, Texas Looks Ahead: The Resources of Texas (Austin, 1944; rpt., Freeport, New York: Books for Libraries Press, 1968).

You may also want to contact one of the prospecting clubs near you for some first hand info.

Texas

Gold Prospectors Of El Paso (GPEP)
(West Texas and Southern New Mexico)
E-Mail: [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]
Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of every month @ 7:00 PM, 2100 San Diego Street, El Paso, Texas.
Outings: Once every month.
GPEP is a free non-profit locally controlled Chapter of Gold Prospectors Association of America. The purpose is to promote prospecting with individuals and families.

G.P.A.A. of Granbury
North Central Texas, (Granbury, Tx.)
E-Mail: [email protected]
1-817-937-8577
1-817-279-9250
Meets 2nd Sun. monthly 2pm

G.P.A.A. of Greenville
East Texas Chapter, (Greenville, Tx.)
1-903-725-7960
Meets 3rd sat. monthly @ 2 pm

G.P.A.A. of Northeast Texas
1251 Donna Dr.
Richardson, TX 75080 USA
Contact: Phil Caffey (President NE TX GPAA & State Director TX)
1-972-680-0377
Ph: 1-903-725-7960
Ph: 1-903-496-7616

G.P.A.A. of Northwest Texas
Texas USA
1-972-271-1066 or mobile: 1-214-769-0825

El Paso Prospectors Club
3623 Titanic Dr.
El Paso, TX 79904 USA

Big Spring Prospectors Club, Inc.
606 E. "3rd"
Big Spring, TX 79720
Meetings: 2nd Thursday, 7:30 pm, Club Building, 606 E. "3rd" St.

Gold Dusters & Treasure Hunters
El Paso, TX USA
1-915-590-7441

Prospectors Club of El Paso, Texas
El Paso, TX USA
1-915-751-4065

Here is a short list of areas where fine gold and small flakes are currently being found in Texas by panning.......

• San Saba RIver
  • Heath
  • Honey Creek
  • Big Sandy Creek
  • Baby Head Creek
  • Pecan Creek
  • Bull Head Creek
  • Llano River
  • Fredericksburg
  • Harwood
  • Walnut Creek
  • Gazley Creek

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Some actual facts.......

Gold in Texas - October 2001 IssueGold Mining In Texas

Gold mining has not been extensive in Texas, as the occurrence of the metal is limited. Main production, confined to the Presidio and Hazel mines in West Texas and the Heath mine in the Llano district, amounted to a total of 8,277 fine ounces by 1942 and was valued at $233,499. Most of the gold produced has come as the byproduct of silver and copper ores, but traces of it occur in the Shafter, Van Horn, Allamoore, and Quitman mountains, and in Howard, Taylor, Irion, Uvalde, and Williamson counties with other rocks and ores. Since the closing of the Presidio mine in September 1942 there has been little production of gold.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Thomas J. Evans, Gold and Silver in Texas (Mineral Resource Circular 56 [Austin: Bureau of Economic Geology, 1975]). University of Texas, Texas Looks Ahead: The Resources of Texas (Austin, 1944; rpt., Freeport, New York: Books for Libraries Press, 1968).

You may also want to contact one of the prospecting clubs near you for some first hand info.

Texas

Gold Prospectors Of El Paso (GPEP)
(West Texas and Southern New Mexico)
E-Mail: [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]
Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of every month @ 7:00 PM, 2100 San Diego Street, El Paso, Texas.
Outings: Once every month.
GPEP is a free non-profit locally controlled Chapter of Gold Prospectors Association of America. The purpose is to promote prospecting with individuals and families.

G.P.A.A. of Granbury
North Central Texas, (Granbury, Tx.)
1-817-937-8577
1-817-279-9250
Meets 2nd Sun. monthly 2pm

G.P.A.A. of Greenville
East Texas Chapter, (Greenville, Tx.)
1-903-725-7960
Meets 3rd sat. monthly @ 2 pm

G.P.A.A. of Northeast Texas
1251 Donna Dr.
Richardson, TX 75080 USA
Contact: Phil Caffey (President NE TX GPAA & State Director TX)
1-972-680-0377
Ph: 1-903-725-7960
Ph: 1-903-496-7616

G.P.A.A. of Northwest Texas
Texas USA
1-972-271-1066 or mobile: 1-214-769-0825

El Paso Prospectors Club
3623 Titanic Dr.
El Paso, TX 79904 USA

Big Spring Prospectors Club, Inc.
606 E. "3rd"
Big Spring, TX 79720
Meetings: 2nd Thursday, 7:30 pm, Club Building, 606 E. "3rd" St.

Gold Dusters & Treasure Hunters
El Paso, TX USA
1-915-590-7441

Prospectors Club of El Paso, Texas
El Paso, TX USA
1-915-751-4065

Here is a short list of areas where fine gold and small flakes are currently being found in Texas by panning.......

• San Saba RIver
  • Heath
  • Honey Creek
  • Big Sandy Creek
  • Baby Head Creek
  • Pecan Creek
  • Bull Head Creek
  • Llano River
  • Fredericksburg
  • Harwood
  • Walnut Creek
  • Gazley Creek
Seeking gold don't mean finding it. You pull 2 grams out of any of those creeks and I will kiss your rosy red in the middle of IH10 and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd to watch it happen. Sorry to be rude, but I have the feeling you've never tried any of those places.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin,

You are right about one thing, I have not personally tried any of those places. Evidently you have, sorry if they didn't pan out for you. I was merely passing along information related by those who have found gold, along with providing some credible references.

I have a friend who prospects the Llano River and regularaly recovers small amounts of gold from it. Perhaps you should ask some of the 100's of members of the Texas prospecting clubs why they would waste their time and money on equipment prospecting for gold in Texas since according to you there is no gold in Texas.
dontknow.gif

The contact telephone numbers for some of the Texas Gold Prospecting Clubs are posted above.

Here are some photos of gold found in Texas by members of the Roundrock GPAA Club of Austin TX.... http://www.roundrockgpaa.net/txgold.html

AUSTIN, TX
ROUND ROCK CHAPTER
KEVIN GREEN [email protected]
512-310-8111

You can add these creeks to the above list as well.
Comanche Creek, Coal Creek, and Crabapple Creek and for nuggets try dredging the Guadalupe river near Kerrville TX.

Respectfully,
GG~

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Austin,

You are right about one thing, I have not personally tried any of those places. Evidently you have, sorry if they didn't pan out for you. I was merely passing along information related by those who have found gold, along with providing some credible references.

I have a friend who prospects the Llano River and regularaly recovers small amounts of gold from it. Perhaps you should ask some of the 100's of members of the Texas prospecting clubs why they would waste their time and money on equipment prospecting for gold in Texas since according to you there is no gold in Texas.
dontknow.gif

The contact telephone numbers for some of the Texas Gold Prospecting Clubs are posted above.

Here are some photos of gold found in Texas by members of the Roundrock GPAA Club of Austin TX.... Gold Found in Texas

AUSTIN, TX
ROUND ROCK CHAPTER
KEVIN GREEN [email protected]
512-310-8111

You can add these creeks to the above list as well.
Comanche Creek, Coal Creek, and Crabapple Creek and for nuggets try dredging the Guadalupe river near Kerrville TX.

Respectfully,
GG~

Gold? Is that what that is? There isn't enough "gold" there to buy a chicken fried steak at the Hungry Hunter in Llano. If you read the top, I said there was powder gold, but you'll never pay for your gas and beer, not to mention rent, with "finds" like these. But you just pan away and enjoy yourselves. Tough way to make a buck though. God Bless you buddy...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold? Is that what that is? There isn't enough "gold" there to buy a chicken fried steak at the Hungry Hunter in Llano. If you read the top, I said there was powder gold, but you'll never pay for your gas and beer, not to mention rent, with "finds" like these. But you just pan away and enjoy yourselves. Tough way to make a buck though. God Bless you buddy...

That's cool..... wasn't trying to say that you could get rich. Most folks new to panning never make gas/rent money no matter where they go. For most it's the fun of the outdoors.

I was just trying to answer the question from the "OP" (original poster) who just wanted to know where to look for places to pan in Texas.

GG~

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That's cool..... wasn't trying to say that you could get rich. Most folks new to panning never make gas money no matter where they go. For most it's the fun of the outdoors.

I was just trying to answer the question from the "OP" (original poster) who just wanted to know where to look for places to pan in Texas.

GG~

Tell you why my attitude about gold in Texas sucks: Summer of 1982, grad student(me) at Texas Tech. They gave me a job to pay for next years tuition. We had a contract with the state of Arizona to nominate structures to the National Historic Register and I had to do the research. They gave me a van with Texas Tech University on the side, a credit card and $900 a month. Wow, I made it. In Tempe I decided to drive out to see the Superstitions. Across the highway from them I saw a guy in the distance with a metal detector. I drove over to him. He relaxed when he saw TT on the door of the van. He had on jeans, boots ,a Colt SAA and a big Bowie type knife. I asked him what he was doing and he replied that his hobby was to follow creekbeds, ravines and culverts and find gold nuggets that had washed out of the mountains for years. I asked him if he was ever successful and how much could you make? He said,"well,I only do this on Saturday and sometimes Sunday and last year I made somewhere between $70 and $80,000 dollars". I almost had a heart attack. He had a pouch full of BB to marble sized shiny, wonderful gold things and explained that he sold them to a jeweler in Scotsdale who paid him really well for them. That was 1982. I have spent days panning most of those creeks you mentioned and maybe, just maybe made a couple of hundred bucks. So when someone says Texas gold, I just laugh and try to persuade them not to waste their time. True, it's all we have and I guess we have to make the most of it and tell me where to meet you to kiss your you know what. I've always thought that there should be a major deposit around the Llano Uplift area, but I've never found it. I have found quartz with small veins, but not very high quality. There is silver in the creeks out east of Brady and you can sometimes find pura plata, but not much. By the way, I asked the guy in Arizona where the best place to go was. He said around Globe or up in the Wickenburg Mountains. I don't know if anything he told me was true, but his gold was impressive...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem here in Indiana.... Mostly fine glacial drift gold, finding nice pickers here is scarce, and finding a small nugget is rare.
That's why I travel across country to do any serious prospecting and Texas is definitely not on my list of places to go.

GG~

gold4us

Aug 6, 2012
Kingsland, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings everyone.
I guess this is my first post on this forum.
I live in Llano Co. TX on the Llano River. Yes you can find gold in the river and in just about any creek in the Llano uplift area. In the last 14 years of prospecting the area I have seen maybe 10 small BB sized nuggets come out of the area. I found a 9 gr nugget 4 years ago with my modded Minelab SD2200. It took hundreds of hours of searching before I found that one mugget. The most gold that I have ever seen dredged out of the area was 2 pwt. It was found on a private rance with a 6" Keene Dredge. We had a full 6hrs of dredge time and a lot of that gold came out of our tailings. There are small mines all over the Llano Co. most are just small holes in the ground but some are extesive with large tailing piles and rail track laid, but they are all on private property. The Llano river is your best bet for acess to gold prospecting in Texas, there is also a pay to dig place called Longs fishing Camp 325-388-6131 tell them Todd sent you. A state permit is required to prospect on state owned land like the Llano river, but most of the river with acess is already permited out. You should get permision from permit holders before you go prospecting on their area's, some of them have special rules. You can find out who holds the permit on the area you want to prospect from the General Land Office, please be nice to these people because they have been nice to prospectors. You are not going to get rich prospecting in Texas but you can have a good time. If you want to go on an outing I think the Round Rock GPAA group still does a couple a year. Since I have lived here most of my life I am lucky that I have access to some of the ranches in the area and I can tell you there are places in Texas that have just as much gold as New Mexico, but most will not have access to it. If you drive through and see a 4" Keene dredge in the river its probably me or Earl and sometimes you will see an old fart with us and that will be Boo Coo.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You realize that you can pan more gold at Knott's Berry Farm in California than in Llano, or Texas for that matter. But you boys keep at it and maybe you can afford to eat at Cooper's someday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread