vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard mezanala! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider seeing if a member can provide a solution to your XLT Screen Problem (while considering a new MD) by posting a thread on BRANDS > WHITE'S...

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello. I pulled my whites spectrom XLT out today after many years, only to get to the beach and the screen won't turn on. 🤦‍♂️

What is a good brand/model to look at that is an intermediate/advance machine?

Thanks in advance!

Alan
I would look at the Nokta Legend, or the two new Nox that just came out

I personally use a Legend and it is a vary good detector, in fact I like the Legend so much I purchased a second one to try to teach my wife how to medal detect, it is also fairly new to the market and still having updates released to us from Nokta, there is also a new update coming in the near future from Nokta for the Legend

The Legend is your best bang for your buck, and vary comparable to the Equinox 800 in detecting capabilities, the Legend can be had at a better price, the Legend has better build quality then the Nox 600 and 800

The two new Equinox look vary promising they are the Nox 700 and 900

if you want to step up to the next level you can always go with the XP Deus 2 or the Mine lab Manticore, both those detectors are in the $1600 range'
there are some of us that have ordered the Manticore including myself but as of yet mine has not been delivered, and no one can really give an answer as to when those of us that have placed an order for a manticore, will receive our Manticore's
the Legend is just a little over $500 rite now but will most likely be increasing in price in the near future
If memory serves me correctly the Nox 700 is around $650 and the Nox 900 is $1099

The Legend Is a multi frequency detector that has pretty much the same modes and frequencies as the Equinox 800 and 900, the Build quality of the Legend far exceeds the Nox 800 and 600 but from all appearances Mine Lab has corrected that in the build quality of the Nox 700 and 900

The Legend is water proof, and the nox 600 and 800 were supposed to be water proof but there have been numerous reports of the nox 600 and 800 drowning when submerged in water by many Nox users

the Nox 700 and 900 are so new that the reports have really not been coming out as of yet

hope this helps and sorry for the long winded reply

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of choices. Is there a metal detector dealer within driving distance? I always encourage to try a machine before you buy one. I have bought several from several different manufacturers I did not like. Those were expensive mistakes. I can also recommend you try a local club if there is one.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a lot of choices. Is there a metal detector dealer within driving distance? I always encourage to try a machine before you buy one. I have bought several from several different manufacturers I did not like. Those were expensive mistakes. I can also recommend you try a local club if there is one.
I totally agree with this. I bought the "best of the best" a while back, and it never quite talked a language I could understand.

I've got a new model now, and we get along much better.

Notice how there's no brand names here. Go to a good shop and talk to the folks about your are and what kind of hunting you like, and what types other the folks in the area are likely to take you to.

Good advice without brand-pounding is maybe the best.

--Matt

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my experiences with detectors, I found the water machine just didn't like me and was unwieldy and I found out there were "monsters" in the water so I gave that up fast.

The one I just couldn't understand its language but my buddy had one and KNEW what was under the coil before he dug it. (I did generally find more than he did with another brand as I could sense where the house was on a site and got there first.)

The one was just junk.

Another hurt my arm, actually three different machines hurt my arm, so they went.

If no dealer is within driving distance, try a club.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
With my experiences with detectors, I found the water machine just didn't like me and was unwieldy and I found out there were "monsters" in the water so I gave that up fast.

The one I just couldn't understand its language but my buddy had one and KNEW what was under the coil before he dug it. (I did generally find more than he did with another brand as I could sense where the house was on a site and got there first.)

The one was just junk.

Another hurt my arm, actually three different machines hurt my arm, so they went.

If no dealer is within driving distance, try a club.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whenever someone asks this question on T-Net I take cover under a desk and put a pillow over my head.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whenever someone asks this question on T-Net I take cover under a desk and put a pillow over my head.
Nothing a big glass of Wild Turkey won't Cure LOL, I know exactly how you feel though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread