Which Ikes are Silver???

All Ikes that are silver will have an S mint mark, some will be proof and some will be mint strike.

Easy way to tell if silver, look at the rim. Also clank the coin against a non silver. The silver Ikes look and sound just like big 40% halves. You can't miss one if you look closely at it.

Jim

jim4silver said:
All Ikes that are silver will have an S mint mark, some will be proof and some will be mint strike.

Easy way to tell if silver, look at the rim. Also clank the coin against a non silver. The silver Ikes look and sound just like big 40% halves. You can't miss one if you look closely at it.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

rwb83 said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Thanks Jim.

The mint produced silver ike's in sets from 1971 through 1974 or 75. They are really inexpensive except for the 73 which had
a very very low mintage so if you find one of these that are silver, stash it away for collector's value. The 74 is priced between the 71 and 74 because of its relatively low mintage as well.

Good Luck and HCRH.

CHAINCHOMP said:
i think all silver ikes are proofs (or "S" mint marks), but b sure 2 keep an eye out 4 peace & morgan dollars. good luck!

So if it has an "S" mint mark, does that make a coin proof...any coins? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just getting into coins, when i was initially attracted to this hobby for the silver. But with one the other is comming too. Thanks for all the info. everyone.

HH

rwb83 said:
CHAINCHOMP said:
i think all silver ikes are proofs (or "S" mint marks), but b sure 2 keep an eye out 4 peace & morgan dollars. good luck!

So if it has an "S" mint mark, does that make a coin proof...any coins? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just getting into coins, when i was initially attracted to this hobby for the silver. But with one the other is comming too. Thanks for all the info. everyone.

HH

No, some of the silver "S" coins are mint strikes that were originally sold in a blue envelope that had the coin and a blue "poker chip" looking token that had some printing on it in a plastic sheet. I bought some of these along with some of the proofs (they came in a brown heavy cardboard type box and the coin is inside in a plastic slab holder) a while ago but I have not looked at them since. I was able to buy them for spot so I got a few. Most coin dealers really hate them for some reason and will not pay near spot when you go to sell. I actually bought mine for less than what they sold for when the Mint originally issued them if you can believe that!

The 1973 silver proof is a rarer coin though and these cost quite a bit over spot.

Jim

jim4silver said:
rwb83 said:
CHAINCHOMP said:

HH

No, some of the silver "S" coins are mint strikes that were originally sold in a blue envelope that had the coin and a blue "poker chip" looking token that had some printing on it in a plastic sheet. I bought some of these along with some of the proofs (they came in a brown heavy cardboard type box and the coin is inside in a plastic slab holder) a while ago but I have not looked at them since. I was able to buy them for spot so I got a few. Most coin dealers really hate them for some reason and will not pay near spot when you go to sell. I actually bought mine for less than what they sold for when the Mint originally issued them if you can believe that!

The 1973 silver proof is a rarer coin though and these cost quite a bit over spot.

Jim

Aint that the truth.... :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back