Which ones best for outright depth in wet sand?

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Which one's best for outright depth in wet sand?

Hi, I'm new here but have been a lurker for a while,
Does anyone know which detector goes deepest in wet salt sand? I have an Excal 2 and an Explorer Se, but I want to improve on depth.

I was looking at some of the pi detectors, however, no one seems to use a gp/sd series detector, I have heard they go deep but you would have to compare.

The beaches that I hunt don't have a lot of targets, so discrimination is not important, so I'm just looking for outright depth and stability I suppose as well, although I don't think my beaches are noisy ground, I'm able to use sens 6-7 on my Excal.

Upvote 0

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Re: Which one's best for outright depth in wet sand?

if you dont mind digging junk,nothing will go deeper than a PI.iv used Garrett's and Whites and Tesoro's.my 1st choice would be a Garrett's Infinium LS....2nd White's PI Pro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While the SD's by Minelab will go deep, they are designed for tiny nuggets and wet sand should have you wasting your time on pockets of black sand.

I would rather use the Infinium LS as it is deeper than the PI Pro by Whites. I have the Whites and prefer the Excal mainly because of the tiny bobby pins it doesn't find an I don't have to dig.

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008

Thanks for the advice,
Sandman, that's a good point about picking up pockets of black sand with sd'/gp's, I used them and could certainly imagine them doing that (though the smooth mode on the gpx series might solve that, it's a very powerfull function).

one thing to think about, with the gp/sd/gpx range of detectors, you get a larger range of coils therefore you can choose a big one to go deeper and you can also get salt coils for them. The Infinium it seems, the largest/deepest coil is a 14" mono which is a decent size, but you can also get bigger coils (SEF, WOT) for discriminating detectors.

I would like to think that the Infinium would go deeper in wet sand than a sd/gp/gpx, as it's cheeper! :tongue3:

I don't get a lot of targets at all at my beaches so depth is a worry for me and discrim not so much.

Also, would a pi unit like the Whites or Infinium have problems being noisy in wet sand?

Sorry for so many questions but you must understand, the more I research on this the more confusing it gets! :tard: ??? :tongue3:

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

one of my choices is the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. It's a great PI machine. If your simply hunting the wet sand it's smooth as silk. Due to the weight of the unit I recommend belt mounting it.
Like I said, it's really smooth in the wet sand, but is a bit unstable in the surf. When I'm in the surf, say waist deep, you will get a quick false signal from an incoming wave. Once you learn that signal, though, you work around it and it doesn't affect your hunt.
It is a great deep hunting machine, and does offer some discrimination if you do happen to need it. I always hunt without any discrimination to get max depth.
xXx

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I notice no difference in going from dry to wet to in the water with my beachhunter 300 good luck in what ever you get

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008

I won't be getting one any time in the near future, but I though I'd start me research early as I want to make sure I get the right one for me. I'm looking for something that goes considerably deeper than my Excalibur 2 ans Explorer Se.

So far, these are on my list probably in that order:
Garrett Infinium LS,
Beachhunter Id 300 or the previous model (I read about the coil)
Sea Hunter
SD/GP?GPX if I win something :o

Does the Sea Hunter go as deep as the Infinium?

What sort of depth range could I expect from any of these on say a thin ring or a quarter? (I have one at home).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread