Which should I buy? AE or standard bars/rounds?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I had my Choice it would be U.s. silver coins, if you can find them for near melt .
Doesn't matter if they are worn Bad, in fact it's a lot safer then Buying Silver bars
or Rounds these days with all the counterfeits out there.
and as long as you avoid rare date U.s. silver in Mint looking condition.
U.s. coins should be safe

I'm not sure if there is a Big Counterfeiting effort on AE's they may be safe yet

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
f I had my Choice it would be U.s. silver coins, if you can find them for near melt .
Doesn't matter if they are worn Bad, in fact it's a lot safer then Buying Silver bars
or Rounds these days with all the counterfeits out there.
and as long as you avoid rare date U.s. silver in Mint looking condition.
U.s. coins should be safe

Thats what I did even though I do have some silver eagles.Regular silver coinage would also be easier for trading should and when the economy hits bottom,or a SHTF scenerio.Which ever comes first.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. All advice is greatly appreciated. My gut says buy the Eagles, so that is what I will do.
apush

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. All advice is greatly appreciated. My gut says buy the Eagles, so that is what I will do.
apush

just be careful where you buy, Or at least Buy in Person & take a strong Magnet along

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not trying to sound rude, Apush,
But whether you choose coins or bars make sure to educate the kids on what they have so they don't throw it away or give to bank for a dollar bill!
My suggestion would be a mix of Coins and AE's.
Wicka :-)

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you are not rude, but very helpful. I have educated my kids par none. They even know the "sound of silver." There was a post a little while back on this thread that listed reputable coin dealers--that is where I will go.
Muchas Gracias,
apush

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you are not rude, but very helpful. I have educated my kids par none. They even know the "sound of silver." There was a post a little while back on this thread that listed reputable coin dealers--that is where I will go.
Muchas Gracias,
apush

For investment purposes I think generics w/lowest premium are best bet...easiest to come out ahead on.

Premiums on ASE, Canadian Maples and other government silver is far too high...when you pay $2+ per ozt per round you aren't likely to see that money ever again. Your option here is to wait until spot price increases to cover premiums but if you had bought generic you would be in the green not struggling to break even on government minted PMs.

Silver is silver as long as its real. Generics have better/higher ROI overall in my experience and are not difficult to sell at all. If you buy spot+$2 on ASEs then you will have to do some searching to find a buyer paying that premium on the private side.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I will post the contrary opinion and say that a person should have some of their stash in Gov issued 999 or 9999 silver coins, like ASE's, Maples, Onza/Libertads, Philharmonics, etc., assuming a person can get them at a decent premium. There is no argument that from a purely economical standpoint generic rounds/bars have the best buy/sell spread (at least in my area). But, it is not by that much. One good thing going for the Gov minted stuff is you never have to worry about counterfeit/fakes assuming you buy from a reputable source (and get current year coins especially). At my local stores they take them right out of a monster box they got from a national distributor. The same can be said too for most generics if made by a well known private mint and you get them from the source or a trusted coin store. But I have to say personally I always have more faith in the Gov made coins even though I KNOW my generic stuff is real. When it comes time to sell you should get more for your Gov made stuff than for generics, at least that is how it is here locally.

Down the road should silver break 50, or 40 for that matter, is the extra 1.50 to 2.00 more per coin premium going to be recouped? I think it might be. But even if it doesn't will it matter at those prices if you are buying now? I think if/when the masses ever do wake up to PMs, they will favor Gov made coins over generics, which could cause premiums for them to go up enough to recoup or even do better than if you bought generics now. No way to tell for sure though.
I have been fortunate to be able to buy off quality ASEs and Maples for roughly a buck or so over spot. I take those over generic (which cost about the same) anytime I can get them. By off quality I mean spots, excessive toning, etc, but no actual damage to the coins.

I would say have some generic, some junk silver and some nice Gov official bullion if you can get it for a decent premium, even though it will cost more than generic.

Just my opinion.

Jim

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
I would say have some generic, some junk silver and some nice Gov official bullion

Just my opinion.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Agreed

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I buy US silver coin, I make sure it's crisp (fond of Kennedy halves). Sure, silver is silver, but if or when you sell further down the road, slicks will go on the scale and be discounted.

I like a little ASE, US 90%, generic rounds, bars, Zombucks....I like it all!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a personal point here from my perspective. And it is just as simple as this:

If someone wants to sell me silver bullion - bars, rounds, or even AE's - THE VERY FIRST QUESTION I WILL ASK MYSELF IS WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE COUNTERFEIT!

If someone wants to sell me circulated small denomination US silver coins - THE VERY FIRST QUESTION I WILL ASK IS HOW MUCH THEY WANT OVER SPOT!

It is as simple as that.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Just a personal point here from my perspective. And it is just as simple as this:

If someone wants to sell me silver bullion - bars, rounds, or even AE's - THE VERY FIRST QUESTION I WILL ASK MYSELF IS WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE COUNTERFEIT!

If someone wants to sell me circulated small denomination US silver coins - THE VERY FIRST QUESTION I WILL ASK IS HOW MUCH THEY WANT OVER SPOT!

It is as simple as that.

Actually, not so simple. Perhaps you should expand the questions you ask when buying 90%.

Realcent.org ? View topic - Fake 90% Silver

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread