What's new

Which stores sell digital scales? Not Internet, want it today.

I don't know this for fact, but I would guess that the average corporate office supply store would carry them.

A few years ago, I needed a digital scale, and Office Max, Staples and Office Depot all had them. Those must have been gold plated for the asking prices at all three stores. Ebay was, by far, the cheapest place.
 
i want it to sort 1982 pennies....copper v. zinc
 
According to the beginner's guide aren't all 1982 pennies copper? So wouldn't it just be easier to just check the date? Or is there something I don't know?
 
cdickrun64 said:
i want it to sort 1982 pennies....copper v. zinc

I sort pennies using my metal detector. Much faster than weighing and you don't have to date check any of them. Just set your discrimination to the point where it will beep differently for the copper one's vs. the zinc. 100% accurate with my detector. Yours may be different (I'm assuming you actually have one since this is primarily a metal detecting site).

But back to your original question, Harbor Freight usually has some really nice one's on sale for around $10.
 
HH1972 said:
According to the beginner's guide aren't all 1982 pennies copper? So wouldn't it just be easier to just check the date? Or is there something I don't know?

Some 1982 pennies are copper some aren't.

cdickrun64 said:
i want it to sort 1982 pennies....copper v. zinc

I don't sort pennies myself, but if I did I would buy one of those Rysdale machines or whatever they are. I would go blind reading all those dates one by one. Would seem easier to just dump the pennies into the machine and let them sort themselves out.

Jim
 
I have never weighed a 1982 cent.

Take a known zinc (1983 or later) and drop it on your kitchen table and you will hear a thud, then take a known copper (1981 or earlier) and drop it on your kitchen table and you will hear a light ringing tone to the sound of it hitting the table.

Once you can distinguish between the 2 sounds, whenever you come across a 1982 while you're sorting just give it a quick drop and listen for which sound it makes. Never fails.

HH

Nick
 
And when you're REALLY bored, you can check for copper 1983's. Seen a couple of them slabbed over the years, QUITE A MARKUP!
 
Historyhound said:
And when you're REALLY bored, you can check for copper 1983's. Seen a couple of them slabbed over the years, QUITE A MARKUP!

Friend found one about a year back, which is one of the things that got me into sorting.

As far as telling the difference, I can spot copper 1982's with my eyes at about an 80% success rate. I drop and listen for the ring or thud to double check. I can also feel the weight difference, as crazy as it sounds, with about 95% accuracy. That's what happens when you sort about $100 a week...
 
I bought a digital scale off Ebay years ago. Didn't think much of it at the time but it turned out to be one of my most used tools in CRH. I used it to sort 1982 pennies too.

If you get one, you will find that copper cents weigh 3.0-3.1 grams and zincolns will weigh 2.5 grams. There were some 1982's that looked copper to me but I found out they were zincolns when I used the scale.
 
I don't know if NY is like Fl. but down here you can buy them at the local "head" shop, that is anywhere they sell smoking paraphernalia, pipes, papers and such. Or at the local habib mart if you live in Hollywood.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom