What's new

While I’m being lazy this morning a redux on this one

Unit70

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2018
Messages
34
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked for help on this one earlier and the consensus was....natural rock. I have toiled over that consensus. This “rock” is JUST too smooth. I have spent 50 + years walking fields and wading creeks. Not necessarily in search of artifacts. Please notice the top edge that is burnished to nearly a glass like smoothness and appears black in color. The rock in general is just too smooth for a creek rock....no matter how long it has lain in a riffle. I was found a couple hundred yards from a creek. I understand everyone wants their rock to be an amazing historical artifact but I just want to know what it is. I have added better pictures with different angles. I would appreciate it if you guys would take one more look and offer your truthful opinions.
Respectfully,
 

Attachments

  • F1E5A0ED-8B0B-44F3-AA20-5B2ABC3A453B.webp
    F1E5A0ED-8B0B-44F3-AA20-5B2ABC3A453B.webp
    175.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 15707706-FE7F-4A85-9820-7E156A05DB95.webp
    15707706-FE7F-4A85-9820-7E156A05DB95.webp
    154.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 30DEBBBE-7169-4063-A9C9-E536F1B2B50B.webp
    30DEBBBE-7169-4063-A9C9-E536F1B2B50B.webp
    167.9 KB · Views: 112
  • A5F91AF5-AB0F-40AC-8F49-69D5EB5DE021.webp
    A5F91AF5-AB0F-40AC-8F49-69D5EB5DE021.webp
    184.9 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
Sorry but I think it is a very cool naturally polished rock. I would have brought it home too.
 
Looks natural to me.
 
I definitely see what you're seeing but I still vote natural rock. You've handled it, what would be your best guess as to its use if it is an actual artifact?
 
I also see the darker polished area you mentioned.
If it was not found in a creek, or in an area where it would have ended up in via geological processes, and if it was found on a site where more recognizable prehistoric stone artifacts were found, then yea I would think that man may have been responsible for it being where you found it. There are so many different things that pre-historic people could have used unmodified stones for, that we really have no clue, and probably never will. For example a rock like that could possibly have been used in the process of bending vines, reeds, etc. at sharp angles for basket weaving, or for applying mud or clay to the skin as a sun screen or insect repellent, or for working dyes into textiles, etc. etc. All it takes is some imagination to think of everyday, or seasonal activities that it could have been used for, but therein lies the problem with such items. If you have to use your imagination to see an item as an artifact with a purpose, then such items will never be considered in the mainstream of collectible pre-historic stone artifacts.
 
I definitely see what you're seeing but I still vote natural rock. You've handled it, what would be your best guess as to its use if it is an actual artifact?

Audozer, I am clueless. I simply know a force, man made or natural, caused a polish on this rock that I am not accustomed to. The black areas are smoother than the rest of the already smooth stone. On a side note there have been thousands of artifacts found where this was found. Again, I bow to the knowledge of the experts and am not questioning the opinion of anyone. I also know some items are difficult when your simply looking at poor quality pics.
 
First and foremost, you have to think just what would a stone like this be used for? I see no evidence on it anywhere that says it was used as any type of Tool. I too say natural.
 
took the works right out of my mouth... Folk today or yesterday would not put that kind of effort into working a stone for no reason.
 
I’m not a stone expert. I think natural but different and nice. I have to agree with Steve. I would have brought it home too.
 
I think it's just a rock, one that would have caught my attention, too. Maybe it was a start to make something, I don't know what, but was discarded or never finished.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom