What's new

While Metal Detecting / 2017-2

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2017
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
2,308
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Holidays!!
 

Attachments

  • 20170124_122745-1R1L.webp
    20170124_122745-1R1L.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • 20170124_122728.webp
    20170124_122728.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
A size reference would be nice cause I dont know if its big or tiny but looks like a good one
 
And please, any terminology on this point would be greatly appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • Upper1.webp
    Upper1.webp
    2 MB · Views: 83
  • Upper2.webp
    Upper2.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
A little unsure of the type, but either way, you done good, brother!
 
If its a creek find it will be hard to give it a guess for me. It was probably much longer before you found it. I find a lot of Pickwicks and Ledbetters in my area that have this shape. Yours is a knife to.
 
Congrats on another great looking piece.
 
very nice

I appears to have broad percussion flaking with little to none edge pressure flaking. I cant tell if the base if broken or worked in the area where its angles. I think it would be a Middle Archaic to Late Archaic Lamoka point.

What is the cross section view of the point?
Was this found on the path, without digging?
 
very nice

I appears to have broad percussion flaking with little to none edge pressure flaking. I cant tell if the base if broken or worked in the area where its angles. I think it would be a Middle Archaic to Late Archaic Lamoka point.

What is the cross section view of the point?
Was this found on the path, without digging?

Thanks dognose for the terminology! That helps my research & documentation of the item tremendously!

And yes, found on the path. Both pics show the point as found, before anyone moves it.
Of course I take the left pic with the background to remind me of location. The point is center bottom, about 4:30 to the coffee mug.

However, this find was exposed in a blob of clay that was excavated from the creek bed I referenced in the "2017-1" post.
The landowner dug a portion of the creek out in order to give his ducks a deeper pool to swim in. The clay was moved a couple of hundred yards on to his ATV path to prevent erosion.

Now when you say cross section, should I take pics in to the point & in to the base to show thickness?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom