kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHITES 15" COIL. HOW DEEP WILL IT GO?

I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A 15" COIL FOR MY XLT. I HAVE A FEW FIELDS THAT I THINK HAVE BEEN "HUNTED OUT" USEING MY STANDARD 9.5 COIL. IF I GET A 15" HOW MUCH MORE DEPTH CAN I GET? HAS ANYONE USED ONE? I GUESS WHAT IM ASKING HOW MUCH DEEPER WILL THE 15" GO COMPARED TO THE 9.5? IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT.

THANKS

T

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" COIL

IS THE 15" COIL WORTH THE MONEY COMPARED TO THE STANDARD 9.5 COIL. IS THERE ANYMORE DEPTH? PLEASE VOTE AND LET ME KNOW.

T

TheDetectorist

Re: WHITES 15" COIL. HOW DEEP WILL IT GO?

Depends on the target. See other responce.

TD

T

TheDetectorist

Re: 15" COIL

You generally should only post a question in one place on a forum. It gets annoying to see the same person ask the same question in sub-forum after sub-forum. Just a general hint.

TD

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On a coin, you might reach 15 inches. However the extra weight will not make you a happy camper. It is much better to over lap the sweeps by at least half to cover all the ground down to the max depth it will reach. You might be happier with a Minelab for the extra depth or a DFX.

By the way, try not to capitalize. We call it "Yelling."

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Depends on what your looking for. Relics will be found at greater depth but coins are a different question. Being in Europe we search for silver hammered and Roman, both of which can be very small. On the smallest coins depth drops over that of the stock coil. This is especially true on more mineralised ground. In fact I think you would have to be searching for targets well bigger than a quarter to find any depth improvement in almost any soil type.
You do gain the extra detection width but it is a heavy old coil. I think you would do better with a Hot Shot (not Hot Head). Extra depth on all target sizes without much weight gain.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

The larger coil should go at least 1 1/2 to 2 feet on a small size coin purse full of coins.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had the 15 inch loop on my whites classic. The other day when i was out detecting, i felt what I thought was the strap on the armrest slip. It wasn't the strap, the stress from swinging the 15 inch loop was too much on the armrest and bent it in two.Fortunately, i have a parts machine and should be able to take the armrest from that.

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum

I have the 15 inch blue max for the Whites 6000 and i hated it, it was to heavy and for coins was hard to pinpoint. I was not able to find cains that the standard 950 coil could find. I would say do not waist the money for coins you will not go any deeper. i got one thinking i would find the coins that were deeper and i was wrong.

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detector dave said:
I have the 15 inch blue max for the Whites 6000 and i hated it, it was to heavy and for coins was hard to pinpoint. I was not able to find cains that the standard 950 coil could find. I would say do not waist the money for coins you will not go any deeper.  i got one thinking i would find the coins that were deeper and i was wrong.

Well I did end up getting one and did purchase a hip mount for it because it was like swinging a dump truck! I went to one of my worked out relic sites where the last time I found not a thing with my stock coil and to my surprise I did get a really deep piece of brass (knap sack hook) with the 15 incher. We call it the purple people eater! No I dont think I would try to use it for coins but when relic hunting a big field it does do the trick! So I have mixed feelings about it. Coins=Bad Relics=Good. Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

KFB

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
On a coin, you might reach 15 inches. However the extra weight will not make you a happy camper. It is much better to over lap the sweeps by at least half to cover all the ground down to the max depth it will reach. You might be happier with a Minelab for the extra depth or a DFX.

By the way, try not to capitalize. We call it "Yelling."

My apologies on the yelling Sandman it was not intended to come out that way.

KFB

Jan 5, 2008
Re: 15" COIL

TheDetectorist said:

You generally should only post a question in one place on a forum. It gets annoying to see the same person ask the same question in sub-forum after sub-forum. Just a general hint.

TD
I find that if you really want an all around answer on the 15" coil,ask all user's of all different makes and models and see what they have to say.Then judge for yourself if it is worth the money...Just a thought!!!!

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Heard the new White's super 12" coil is light, very deep, real nice on coins too. It's supposed to go 20 to 30 % deeper than the stock 9.5 (just a thought)!!! ;)

HH!!!

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Indasurf said:
Heard the new White's super 12" coil is light, very deep, real nice on coins too. It's supposed to go 20 to 30 % deeper than the stock 9.5 (just a thought)!!! ;)

HH!!!

Those coils will not work on the XLT! ??? >:(

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Sorry, thought it fit most of them. I'd bet in time one would be available as this seems to be the case after they have a new coil out on their detectors!

Are there any other 12" coils (after market) that would fit the bill???

Happy hunting to all!!! :D

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Indasurf said:
Sorry, thought it fit most of them. I'd bet in time one would be available as this seems to be the case after they have a new coil out on their detectors!

Are there any other 12" coils (after market) that would fit the bill???

Happy hunting to all!!! :D

I talked to my local dealer yesterdsay and he got a list from Whites that told him wat machines they are phasing out in the future. I asked him about the XLT and I could not get a yes or no out of him so that usually means yes! I do look for them to quit making the XLT when they produce a machine above the DFX and it is coming soon! So I doubt they will make any 12 inchers for the XLT.

KFB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread