Help Newbee

K

kestrel0222

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and have been doing a lot of research on which MD to purchase for my first machine. I am considering the (3) following machines:

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II - $200.00
Garrett Ace 250 - $210.00
Whites Prizm III - $300

I’m sure this type of question has been asked many times, but I am not sure which is the better machine. After looking at the specs of these (3) machines, they appear to be about the same, feature for feature.

So, putting the features aside, which machine is better in terms of ease of use, depth, and quality?

I will be using this detector on fresh water beaches (dry sand) and grass parks.

Thanks to all for your input,

Tom

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are going to be at grassy parks and dry sand beaches with near $200.00 to spend, the Garrett ACE 250 fits the bill. If you can find it, the Minelab X terra 30 will make you a happy camper.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have never used any of those machines, but just from what I have heard, the Garrett Ace 250 is a great little machine for the money.

Hope it helps.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
As a White's user ( I have 3) I would have to bite my tounge and say the Garrett Ace 250. From what I have read on a few forums, it looks like a great detector for the price.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'll throw in some more options for you also.

The Tesoro Silver uMax is from my understanding one heck of a machine, and the Compadre is a turn on and go cheap machine that is supposed to get real results.

The uMax is around $299 and the Compadre is around $189, but you can find them on sell for cheaper.

Tesoro has some resellers up there in the frozen tundra area too.

Plainwell: Pro/Stock Detectors - (269) 685-1776 Email: [email protected]

St. Ignace: Sit-N-Bull - (906) 643-6672

Wyoming: DM Outstanding Bargain XChange - (616) 531-7571 Email: [email protected]

Alpena: Northern Michigan Treasure (989) 354-6036 Email: [email protected]

Goodrich: RJ's TV and VCR Repair (810) 636-7542

Warren: Beste's Lawn & Patio Supply (586) 776-1794

The last two I don't know if I would actually buy from since they seem to specialize in things that aren't really connected to MDing, but maybe you can go in and take a look at the Tesoro line.

D

diggerbruce

Definately the White's. Better construction and easier to understand and use. I've looked at the others and in my opinion there's no comparrison. A few bucks more now will be money well spent.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to agree with Digger :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread