Whites DFX 300, anybody have one. what do you think about it ?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I had a DFX about 2 years ago, it wasn't the 300, but the only difference was the coil. it is a very nice machine, that works great even as a turn on and go. the icon feature is nice if you want to look at the screen all the time, it started to hurt my neck I was turning it so much.
but again it's a nice MD that has pretty good depth, even better with the 12 coil, but that does start to get heavy pretty quick

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a DFX. It's got a steep learning curve and I guess if you have a lot of time to play, it gets easier.

Main thing I didn't like was stopping to adjust settings and rebalancing for different places and tweeking settings as I detected. Just seemed to be time consuming to me to scroll thru menus, tweek, balance, go...scroll, tweek, balance, go...

In all fairness, I have very limited time detecting so this just wasn't the machine for me.

I ended up selling it and buying the Vision. Seems faster, no stopping to rebalance every tweek. But I also had the dfx experience which I think made using the Vision easier for me...but a lot less down time fine tuning at sites.

If you get the dfx, get the book.."Digging Deeper With the Dfx" by Jimmy Sierra. Very good, indepth book on using that machine.

Al

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the plain DFX and the lil 4X6" coil for the trash. I found it to be a nice detector which was easy to operate right out of the box. Later as you became more familiar with it you can play with changing the settings for more or less fun. You like VCO, turn it on or off, etc.... Personally I liked it on. There are a lot of coil choices for it too. I am mainly a water hunter now and find the DFX more difficult for me to use due to I need to bend down to retrieve targets and the weight got to me also. For land hunting which I mainly do in the fall I like my Tejon or Sov GT. But the Sov GT is heavier than the DFX I think so I carry it from my neck which you can't do with the White's. I wouldn't like the 300 because of the heavier coil, but this is nice if you are out in the boonies and are fairly young.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a DFX for about 5 years and loved it, had many great finds. I decided to sell it and got a V3i. I like the bells and whistles on the V3i but wish I had my DFX back.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a DFX 3 years ago, and I ran it hot. No depth! I changed brands, but I suppose with a SEF 10X12 coil, it might be killer. Maybe that's why I've kept it.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed more than a few veteran DFX users have started to move on to V3i.

Looks like that DFX is doing a great job though. I couple of guys in my club use them and their finds are excellent. In group hunts, they always do well.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I've had a DFX for about five years now. It has either broke or just stopped working and been back to the shop 4 times. It's being repaired, supposedly, again right now. ::)
And I agree it does not go as deep as everyone raves.
It's a shame because I really like it, but I wouldn't ever buy another one.
I'm shopping around now for another detector so when I get my DFX back and it stops working again I won't be unable to detect for a month.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought the DFX 300 about 2 or 3 years ago. The first thing I did was to get a different coil. I got the 9.5 stock coil. I found a lot with it and I did not find the learning curve that bad. The only thing I did not like was that you had to go thru the programs to set it up the way you want. I mainly hunt relics and will hunt old coins during the hot months. I sold the DFX and got the new MXT PRO and love it. Again I replaced the 12" coil with the 10x12 SEF coil. There is nothing wrong with the DFX. It is still a great machine but you will have to get a different coil. I would get either the stock coil or the 6x10 or the 10" DD coil.

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We bought a used DFX two years ago. Great machine. The stock programs, especially Jewelry-Beach, work quite well, but to take full advantage of the machine, you need to learn how to adjust the settings. This is not simple.

When people complain about it being hard to use, or that it doesn't go as deep as others say, they are really saying, "It takes months or years of experimentation to learn how to adjust the settings properly for a given hunt situation," which is true. That is why the DFX is not for everybody.

The most productive metal detectorist I know, a local club member who travels Northern California and brings home silver every week, has used the DFX with the stock coil since it came out 8+ years ago. He never takes it off the stock Jewelry-Beach program.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've never tried the 300, but I use to have a DFX. I wish I had it back.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I love mine. It goes very deep, I'm not sure why anyone complains about the depth on it. That 12" coil is a beast but I get to china with it on a pre amp gain of 3.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I put a 12 on my DFX and I found a piece of copper wire about 6 inches long, about 12 inches deep

szazulyk

Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Excal , Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX 300 for sale

I've been looking at the Whites DFX 300 and the GMT, also the GMZ. What do you think about the DFX 300? Thank's !

I have one for sale, brand new in the box also including a rain cover and a Eclipse DD large coil. You can email me.....[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread