Whites MX Sport vs Makro Racer 2

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am curious.
I hear the MXSport takes 40 aa batts to initialize start up. It may have a hidden generator too considering it's weight..;).
Peace

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just wondering why there Is a much bigger deal being made over the MX sport than the Racer 2? When from what I have seen, the Racer 2 is obviously faster and deeper.....and a better looking machine IMO. FRom what I am hearing it will swing better also.......but I expect any machine with a coil of any size that is designed to not be buoyant to be a little nose heavy....thus a good example is the AT pro with stock coil.
?

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hearing that the Racer 2 is faster but the MX Sport is deeper. Still too early to tell. After a few more months of comparison testing, we should have a solid answer of which is better. I'm pretty interested to find out since I will probably be buying one of these two detectors.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hearing that the Racer 2 is faster but the MX Sport is deeper. Still too early to tell. After a few more months of comparison testing, we should have a solid answer of which is better. I'm pretty interested to find out since I will probably be buying one of these two detectors.

I can only go by air tests but I seen a Keith Southern video where the Racer 2 was hitting a nickel at 20"+.......haven't seen the Whites do this yet.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In another video by Keith Southern, the Makro Racer 2 does a much better job of target separation that the Fisher F75...He states that the Fisher 10 year old platform is becoming more obsolete than the newer technology of the Racer....That Racer 2 looks awesome but still awaiting for more actual hunts to see how it performs...It does seem impressive...Just a waiting game.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think the MX has had enough time in the field by real hunters yet to compare the two. Just my opinion is all

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just watch videos and read reviews.

The Racer is a pound lighter. I personally hate that round meter look. Too busy and wasted space. The recovery and anti masking of the Racer 2 is awesome. With the Racer you can now buy NEL aftermarket coils. The only coils NEL makes for Whites is the Prizm/Coinmaster series. Both carry a wimpy 2 year warranty. I personally like the sounds the Racer 2 makes over the Space Invaders sound of the MX.

I like the Racer 2.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the omega 8500 would compare better to the racer 2.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the omega 8500 would compare better to the racer 2.[/QUOTE

I am on the market for a new detector and it is down to the Omega 8500 and the Racer 2....Difficult choice to make but the better warranty of the Teknetics could be the deal breaker...Just waiting to see more reviews before I make the choice...

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the omega 8500 would compare better to the racer 2.[/QUOTE

I am on the market for a new detector and it is down to the Omega 8500 and the Racer 2....Difficult choice to make but the better warranty of the Teknetics could be the deal breaker...Just waiting to see more reviews before I make the choice...

I'm interested in the Omega or the new Whites. Both light years ahead of the garretts antiquated detectors.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the omega 8500 would compare better to the racer 2.

Don't know your soil. If you have rust spots everywhere (iron), the ground tracking option of the Racer seems the better deal. But I agree, the choice otherwise will come down to more knowledge from "in the field" reviews.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the MX Sport touches saltwater it goes nuts, even in beach mode.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think this is going to be a big fail for Whites.....they should have put a little extra into this machine. Just waterproofing it is not going to do it. The machine has descent depth in most soils, but slow retune, very heavy and just seems "old" for a new machine.....and 8 AA batteries, really??? The AT pro is nothing special anymore, but it is fast enough to hunt trash with and has been out for a good while now.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Even though the Racer is not waterproof/resistant, for a single frequency detector, it handles wet sand without falsing....I have watched a video comparing it to the CTX 3030 on a Salt Water beach it and picks up small gold easily in wet sand...Other videos have shown the same...How Makro/Nokta did that, I don't know..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though the Racer is not waterproof/resistant, for a single frequency detector, it handles wet sand without falsing....I have watched a video comparing it to the CTX 3030 on a Salt Water beach it and picks up small gold easily in wet sand...Other videos have shown the same...How Makro/Nokta did that, I don't know..

I think it greatly depends on the type of beach your at. Can't imagine a single frequency pulling that off at many places.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it greatly depends on the type of beach your at. Can't imagine a single frequency pulling that off at many places.

There is a video on a Florida Beach, and another on a wet beach in ocean waves....Here is the video that demonstrates that....See for yourself...How many VLF detectors can do that?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plenty of multiple frequency VLF's can pull that off, get it in the black sand though and your going to have problems with a single.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had any issues with my old Garrett ADS 3 on any beach i ever hit. Black and white sands of Guam, Sands of Okinawa, the Desert sands of Saudi Arabia and even the Beaches of Florida and Maine were easy. All i had to do was turn the machine on, do a quick ground balance and have fun .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had any issues with my old Garrett ADS 3 on any beach i ever hit. Black and white sands of Guam, Sands of Okinawa, the Desert sands of Saudi Arabia and even the Beaches of Florida and Maine were easy. All i had to do was turn the machine on, do a quick ground balance and have fun .

In the water? Dry sand is a whole different situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread