fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I did a test with my V3i today. What I did was bury a silver dime at 8 inches. My V3 would not pick it up. I tried single frequency, adjusted the AC sensitivity, messed with the gain, tried salt mode, the only thing i didn't to was change programs. I hear all these people that are pulling up dimes and silver coins at past 10 inches consistently. Am I doing something wrong? or are those people exaggerating the truth? Or was the dime not in the ground long enough? The set up I'm using is the V3i with the D2, in coin and jewelry mode that is modified to magics program. Also another question I have is would a concentric coil work better in my soil that a DD? My soil in Salt Lake City isn't that mineralized. I read somewhere that in some cases concentric coils do better than a DD coil. Any help in this matter is appreciated!!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mildly mineralized soil and non-trashy sites the concentric, of the same size, will get slightly better depth. I believe the problem you're seeing here is due to a freshly buried coin. While a good detector can hit those 8-10" coins with no problem, they have been buried for a long enough time to allow the ground matrix to realign making deeper coins easier to see for a metal detector. Freshly disturbed ground also has a disturbed mineral bed/matrix which makes more ground noise than ground that has been undisturbed. Trust the V3i, it will find those deep coins.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger said:
In mildly mineralized soil and non-trashy sites the concentric, of the same size, will get slightly better depth. I believe the problem you're seeing here is due to a freshly buried coin. While a good detector can hit those 8-10" coins with no problem, they have been buried for a long enough time to allow the ground matrix to realign making deeper coins easier to see for a metal detector. Freshly disturbed ground also has a disturbed mineral bed/matrix which makes more ground noise than ground that has been undisturbed. Trust the V3i, it will find those deep coins.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that would be most of the problem. I was a little nervous that my V3 wasnt getting the depth that was claimed. The soil in my city isnt bad. maybe a conentric would give me just a little bit more.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I've had my V3i a week. I've had a Nickel buried in the yard for around 6 months at 8 3/4" and I can hit it with some iron around it. Depth is not the problem. My ground is low to low-moderate in mineralization.

I have only had 3 detectors in my life, but the V3i is on another level with depth. When I go to a new site I bury a coin to find the best settings. I buried a dime sized silver coin (thinner but slightly wider) at 9" and I could hit it easily with Rx 10 and Disc 90, recovery at 60. I was also able to hit it with slightly lower sensitivity settings (by around 5) and the recovery delay at 20! BUT, there is like .3% EMI when I do a probe in the air (live menu - press zoom under sensitivity) so the detector is not affected much by the air. Also, do a probe on the ground by going under the live menu - Ground tracking, then pressing zoom. Search on some of the other forums for a description - I don't remember exactly.

Your V3i (as long as the coil is good) will go deep. With low EMI you should be able to turn your Rx to 15 in the air (simple test.)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Yes, a concentric would probably give you a real but slight depth increase, as long as you got the center of the coil over the target.

How deep a freshly planted coin is detected may depend on how hard you stomp on the replaced dirt & grass. Most say freshly buried don't beep as deep, but I stomp on mine real hard & get deeper on freshly planted coins than on coins in unknown locations, as long as my stomping doesn't make them too tilted. Mineralization may have some effect on depth.

You might try reburying the dime at 7" (& use a ruler to be certain). If it still doesn't pick it up, you might want to call the factory for some thoughts as to if you need to send it in or experiment more. Best regards, George (MN)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the suggestions are right on. Another thing you need to think about is the depth these guys report. Some don't pinpoint well and the coin falls from the side. Also and more likely, the depths reported are more like fish stories from fishermen. :laughing7:

CyberSage

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra Vision - Whites DFX - Whites MXT
I routinely get Wheats and Silver Dimes in the 8 to 10 inch range with the V3. These are not just stories. My deepest is a Wheat at 11 inches just a few weeks ago. Try the following to get deeper on your test garden coin. Soils vary, mine is moderate in strength. Use the D2 coil. DD style coils will get better depth than a concentric coil in all but very low mineralization strength soils.

1. Set your filter to 5.0 Hz Band Pass. If your EMI is low then try the 5.0 Hz High (High Pass Filtering) as it will will get you a little deeper.

2. Slow your swing speed down and keep the coil on the ground if possible. This works well in grassed areas like old parks. Your swing must be rhythmic, consistent, and slowwwwww.

3. Use Correlate and set your wrap to -94 or -93. This can get noisy, so adjust accordingly if you have hot rock issues.

4. Adjust your Discrimination Sensitivity to 92 to 94. Set your RX Gain to 10 to 12 (this is the sweet spot for me)

5. Try locking your Ground Tracking down, and Ground Balance Often.

Keep in mind that the above settings are a starting point. You will need to adjust for your environment. If your ground is higher in Mineralization strength you may need a slightly higher Filter setting.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Indian at 10 inches
DeepIndianCloseUp.jpg

Another Indian at 10.5 inches
SecondIndianDig.jpg

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told a black box 5900 di pro, once ground balance can see a undisturbed penny at 14 inches..... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread