• MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 467

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Who and What's it Worth?

A band of Arapaho, the Atsina roamed the plains between the Missouri and Saskatchewan Rivers. This Algonquian-speaking band was sometimes confused with another tribe called Gros Ventre, a tribe of Minitari Hidatsa that lived nearby. French trappers interpreted the sign language for "Atsina" (hands moved along the torso) as the similar sign used for those neighboring Hidatsa. The sign for Atsina meant "hunger," while the sign for Minatari Hidatsa referred to the chest tattoos the men displayed.

A Plains tribe, the nomadic Atsina followed the bison herds, living in tepees and trading with other Indians for the trade goods and produce they needed. Guns and ammunition they had received from the British gave them an advantage over other Plains bands like the Shoshone.

Lewis and Clark often thought they were close to the Atsina or had encountered them. When the Corps met the Lemhi Shoshone, the tribe had been attacked recently by the Atsina, losing about 20 men in the raid. Later, on the return journey in 1806, Lewis mistakenly identified a group of Blackfeet Indians as "Minatarees of the Prairie," another name for the Atsina.

By 1888 the Atsina had been removed to a reservation at Fort Belknap, Montana, which they shared with the Assiniboin. According to the 1990 census there were 2,800 Atsina remaining.

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you take that image out of the frame and see the name Edward Curtis anywhere, it could be worth big bucks.
If not, it's still a wonderful find.

Take care,
watercolor

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

if its an original edward curtis photo it could be big bucks * with that old type frame and looks it just might be one. -- very cool .

Upvote 0

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh my :thumbsup:

Dumpster huh?
I`ve done my share of dumpster diving :icon_pirat:

Awesome find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

watercolor said:
If you take that image out of the frame and see the name Edward Curtis anywhere, it could be worth big bucks.
If not, it's still a wonderful find.

Take care,
watercolor
Thanks Gypsy, water, ivan & Bj for your help. I removed it from the frame but there is no markings on the back. The paper is very thick, brown and looks old. Its 15 x 20.

Here is what it says under the picture in very small print. I had to look with a magnifying glass. It appears to be a copy but maybe an old one. Can anyone judge the age by this? Photogravure?

HEAD--DRESS -- ATSINA

From Copyright Photograph 1908 by ESCurtis

Photogravure John Andrew & Son

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 390
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 399
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 391
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Im trying to find out if I have an old 1908 Photogravure copy or a $10 modern copy. Im sorry I posted in a rush without giving you all the information. Maybe the paper will tell me. I have a very heavy paper, almost cardboard. I found this link. Does anyone know how to ID these paper types or anything about Photogravures that will help me ID this?

http://www.creativephotography.org/documents/findingAid/AG7EdwardCurtisPic.pdf

...Once made, the plates were inked, covered with dampened paper, and
printed, one at a time, using a flatbed press. The images were printed on three different paper
stocks: a Japanese tissue, a rice paper called ‘vellum,’ and a heavier, watermarked paper called
Van Gelder.

Interesting link Blacksheep. My Indian may be in there. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

curtis.JPG

I believe you might have one of the unbound gravure plates that was reproduce in Curtis' 20 volume porfolio series which originally sold for $3,000 back then. . . a complete 20 volume set today goes for about $250,000 and up. I've seen similar individual Curtis plates for sale around $400.

Again, VERY cool :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

watercolor said:
I believe you might have one of the unbound gravure plates that was reproduce in Curtis' 20 volume porfolio series which originally sold for $3,000 back then. . . a complete 20 volume set today goes for about $250,000 and up. I've seen similar individual Curtis plates for sale around $400.

Thanks watercolor. Do you think it is old? I will have to search through the 2500 images in the book to see if my HEAD-DRESS -- ATSINA Indian is there. :icon_study:

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
watercolor said:

Thanks watercolor. Do you think it is old? I will have to search through the 2500 images in the book to see if my HEAD-DRESS -- ATSINA Indian is there. :icon_study:

Yes, I believe it is old.

Your indian most likely was once part of one of these 20 volume sets and
often individual plates were taken out of these volumes and then framed like yours was.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread