What's new

Who Collects Cobalt-Blue Bottles? Show us!

Harry Pristis said:
Here's another from my shelf. This Acker's English Remedy is more "cornflower blue" than some bottles we've seen here. I assume that this lighter, more-transparent blue is produced by using less cobalt in the glass batch.

eye water.webp​
I found one of those Hooker bottles years ago in Buffalo N.Y. How about an eye water and a castor oil bottle. DD.
 

Attachments

  • castor oil.webp
    castor oil.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 698
Harry Pristis said:
I agree . . . that eye bottle is unusual. It has the shape of a kumiss bottle. What is the embossing on it? Size?
This bottle is 4 3/8" tall X 1 3/4" across the bottom. The embossing has L O R Co. around an eye. I'm just guessing it is an eye water because of the embossing. Without a paper label it's anybody's guess. DD.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-822F.webp
    MVC-822F.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 675
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
Harry Pristis said:
I agree . . . that eye bottle is unusual. It has the shape of a kumiss bottle. What is the embossing on it? Size?
This bottle is 4 3/8" tall X 1 3/4" across the bottom. The embossing has L O R Co. around an eye. I'm just guessing it is an eye water because of the embossing. Without a paper label it's anybody's guess. DD.
It's counterintuitive, but the embossing is read counter-clockwise: "ROL Co." for "Reading Optical Lotion Co."

In Knapp's 2006 Price Guide, a 5.5" example is listed as selling for $74.00.

How about that! Nice little bottle!
 
I thought I had a bunch of cobalt but :icon_scratch:

I have 2 of these that I found at a bottle dump. The second one is very plain looking with some simple embossing around the bottom.

I generally don't photograph bottles so sorry about the crummy pic, just thought I'd contribute..

BROMO SELTZER
EMERSON
DRUG CO.
BALTIMORE, MD

4 3/4" high - bottom stamp = 28
 

Attachments

  • bromo.webp
    bromo.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 641
Getting here late on this post but wanted to share one that I dug in Albany Georgia. One of the best bottles that I have ever found.
 

Attachments

  • Colbalt Soda (1).webp
    Colbalt Soda (1).webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 533
  • Colbalt Soda (3).webp
    Colbalt Soda (3).webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 540
  • Colbalt Soda.webp
    Colbalt Soda.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 539
Down here in Texas,I've seen people display these blue bottles on trees,homemade trees made out of 2x4's,and displayed outside. :icon_scratch:
 
Produce Guy said:
Down here in Texas,I've seen people display these blue bottles on trees,homemade trees made out of 2x4's,and displayed outside. :icon_scratch:

Produce Guy,

I've seen those here too in S.W. Georgia. Most, if not all of them that I've have seen are recently drank wine bottles. I don't know why someone would display new bottles in the front yard except to advertise "Hey, we are a bunch of drunks over here" :laughing7:
 
this is a bottle tree
 

Attachments

  • bottletree012.webp
    bottletree012.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 998
I've seen those here too in S.W. Georgia. Most, if not all of them that I've have seen are recently drank wine bottles. I don't know why someone would display new bottles in the front yard except to advertise "Hey, we are a bunch of drunks over here" :laughing7:
[/quote]

Actually, I've wondered that too, except some of the wire "trees" are kinda cool. That big, tall one isn't so artsy, though. They're probably along the same lines as "gazing balls" in the midwest. Something purty to look at. Which is why I have new cobalt wine bottles on my kitchen window sills (because I don't have any OLD ones). I haven't put any in my garden yet. I've heard some have upended them and lined them up to make a garden edge. Now THAT would take some serious drinking.

Tigger
 
The Cripple Creek hutch is the only one we have found/seen in 30 years,it is cornflower blue (not aqua) and is darker than the pic show,s ,forgive the pic it was taken looong ago ,sadly I dont have it anymore,one of my digging partners made me an offer that I just could'nt refuse. The cough drop container is the girlfriends ,mom got it for her at the bottle show a couple of years ago
 
PikesPeakCharlie said:
The Cripple Creek hutch is the only one we have found/seen in 30 years,it is cornflower blue (not aqua) and is darker than the pic show,s ,forgive the pic it was taken looong ago ,sadly I dont have it anymore,one of my digging partners made me an offer that I just could'nt refuse. The cough drop container is the girlfriends ,mom got it for her at the bottle show a couple of years ago
What a bonehead !!! I brag about a couple of cobalt items,,,,and didnt post the pic's,,,,,Ahhhh gotta love old age ;D
 

Attachments

  • 100_4204.webp
    100_4204.webp
    97.6 KB · Views: 841
  • cornflowerblue.webp
    cornflowerblue.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 787
Got this poison my first dig this fall. God Bless Chris
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 587
Ran into this at: http://www.squidoo.com/bottletrees
it says, "Southern Spirit Catchers with African Roots --
It used to be that you could see bottle trees scattered all over the Southern landscape. Usually in the country or along the bayous of Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennesee, and Alabama, bottle trees are a colorful folk tradition with the purpose of warding off evil spirits, while at the same time recycling colorful bottles. . . keeping evil spirits out of the house. The spirits become mesmerized with their dancing colors in the sun, and are drawn into the bottles only to be trapped for all eternity. At least, that's the way the story goes."

interesting site, and at least now we know the "why?" of it!
 
I received these two from Puerto Rico. Need cleaning. Any ideas about history, age or era?
 

Attachments

  • Picot-1.webp
    Picot-1.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Picot-2.webp
    Picot-2.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Jarabe-1.webp
    Jarabe-1.webp
    35 KB · Views: 158
  • Jarabe-2.webp
    Jarabe-2.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Jarabe-3.webp
    Jarabe-3.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 166
I only have two so far, which are probably the more common ones.
Milk of Magnesia and Vicks Vaporub. These are likely to be
at least 50-60 years old :

100_4587.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom