What's new

Who Collects Figured (Historical) Flasks?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,315
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northcentral Florida
Who collects historical flasks? You know, the half-pint to quart bottles. often with historical or patriotic figures embossed upon them. These were popular bottles from about 1825 to well after the Civil War.

Many, many such bottles were produced, and they are highly-prized by collectors today. Color variants are available in many cases, and the rarer colors often drive the market for these bottles.

Here is an example of a figured flask from the Willington Glass Works in Willington, Connecticut. This is a pint bottle produced in the 1850s. The McKearin/Wilson number is GII-62.


flasklibertywillingtonGII-62.webp​
 
Here's a double eagle half-pint flask (GII-71) from the Coventry Glass Works of Coventry, Connecticut. This glass works operated from 1813 to 1849. Archeological investigations at the site indicate that this particular flask was produced in the 1820s.

flaskeaglecoventry.webp​
 
Harry,

As a teenager, I always viewed these flasks in my bottle books as the "ultimate" goal. I've never found one...still have my eyes open. :) Were these bottles found by you?
 
Tylocidaris said:
Harry,

As a teenager, I always viewed these flasks in my bottle books as the "ultimate" goal. I've never found one...still have my eyes open. :) Were these bottles found by you?
They are prized by collectors. I found the first one (Willington) at a flea market. I got the Coventry bottle as part of a collection I purchased.
 
I dug up two figured minnies.

1.)Small 'egg'-bottle,showing the 'Prince of Bavaria' and a Iron Cross 1914.
Don't know what for;perhaps a snuff bottle.Height is 5,5cm

2.)A small bottle (fine liqueur?) showing 'Graf Zeppelin' (Earl of Zeppelin)
height is 11cm
 

Attachments

  • DSCN54550019.webp
    DSCN54550019.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN54560020.webp
    DSCN54560020.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN18180044.webp
    DSCN18180044.webp
    43 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCN54590023.webp
    DSCN54590023.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCN54570021.webp
    DSCN54570021.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 482
I have a winnie mae? Airplane whiskey bottle in the shape of a plane in my closet. That is a weird bottle that needs to find a good home.
Nice bottles everone.
 
Erdspiegel said:
I dug up two figured minnies.

1.)Small 'egg'-bottle,showing the 'Prince of Bavaria' and a Iron Cross 1914.
Don't know what for;perhaps a snuff bottle.Height is 5,5cm

2.)A small bottle (fine liqueur?) showing 'Graf Zeppelin' (Earl of Zeppelin)
height is 11cm
Those little bottles are very interesting . . . I've never seen either till now.

Snuff makes sense for the 'egg' bottle with the apparently militaristic/nationalistic theme of the commemoration. (Was there a prince of Bavaria who won an iron cross in 1914?) Such themes are common on the USA historical flasks used for whiskey.

The Graf Zeppelin bottle is collectible anywhere in the world.

 
Harry Pristis said:
Erdspiegel said:
I dug up two figured minnies.

1.)Small 'egg'-bottle,showing the 'Prince of Bavaria' and a Iron Cross 1914.
Don't know what for;perhaps a snuff bottle.Height is 5,5cm

2.)A small bottle (fine liqueur?) showing 'Graf Zeppelin' (Earl of Zeppelin)
height is 11cm
(Was there a prince of Bavaria who won an iron cross in 1914?)


The iron cross was shown only in patriotic sence on this bottle.
I have never seen the two bottles anywhere else.I think i will force digging at this old dump-site this year.All finds were pre-1920 back to 1850.I did a rest for 2 years. :coffee2:
 
I hope you will go back . . . and, I hope no one has beaten you to it in the past two years!

I find European glass very interesting . . . different in many cases from the English/American tradition. Americans quickly developed their own glass-making traditions even though many of the early gaffers were recruited from the Continent, including Germany.

I have a number of French bottles on my shelf, but only a few that I know are German (mostly demijohns, vorratsflaschen, and onions -- waldglas).

Show us some more!
 
Flasks are my favorite type bottle to collect. The only problem is if you don't dig them and have to purchase them they can be very expensive. Most of the nicer ones are out of my price range. Here's a few of the more afforable ones that I have picked up. I payed between $60.00 to $80.00 for all except the olive eagle and the amber westford glass flask which were over $100.00. My next goal is to find a nice cannon flask or travelers companion flask.
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 023.webp
    023.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 018.webp
    018.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    26 KB · Views: 438
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 025.webp
    025.webp
    24 KB · Views: 438
  • 028.webp
    028.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 031.webp
    031.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 451
undertaker said:
Flasks are my favorite type bottle to collect. The only problem is if you don't dig them and have to purchase them they can be very expensive. Most of the nicer ones are out of my price range. Here's a few of the more afforable ones that I have picked up. I payed between $60.00 to $80.00 for all except the olive eagle and the amber westford glass flask which were over $100.00. My next goal is to find a nice cannon flask or travelers companion flask.

Well you have done very well collecting ;D
Even tho I wish I had Harrys collection :hello2:
 
Thank you, Brian. Nice flasks, 'undertaker'! I'd find a place on my shelf for any of 'em!

Here's a Keene, NH, flask that I like. This one is dated to 1832, a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Washington's birth.


flaskGI-31washingtontaylor.webp​
 
I love these things... some of my 1/2 pints. Betcha don't have that unlisted little pikes peak in the middle. Hehe
 

Attachments

  • 2010_0310chaspics0024.webp
    2010_0310chaspics0024.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 2010_0310chaspics0025.webp
    2010_0310chaspics0025.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 306
Everett Mcgill said:
I love these things... some of my 1/2 pints. Betcha don't have that unlisted little pikes peak in the middle. Hehe
I betcha' that most of us don't worry about an earthquake knocking over our botttles! :wav:
 
Harry Pristis said:
Everett Mcgill said:
I love these things... some of my 1/2 pints. Betcha don't have that unlisted little pikes peak in the middle. Hehe
I betcha' that most of us don't worry about an earthquake knocking over our botttles! :wav:

Yep you got that right. We do use a lot of earthquake putty around this end of the country. Luckily I don't live in the S.F. area. I have heard some pretty sad broken bottle stories. Once this stuff is broken it's gone forever. They just aren't making it anymore.
 
I do!

I first picked one up at an auction about a year or two ago and have been lucky enough to find a couple more (with city names on them). I am looking for more in a color other than aqua. I am sure eventually I will run up on a few more in the future. If anyone has any they would like to part with in any color other than aqua, I would appreciate an email at Relicrick@aol.com. for any info. Thanks.......Relicrick
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom