Who doesnt love a good clad coin spill!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who doesn't love a good clad coin spill!

2nd best coin spill (clad), yet. $1.75. I had a $2.21 spill (at a snow cone shack in May) previously.

Funny thing was, it only rang up as a quarter with a bit of a bounce to a nickel. That's what was in the spill, but usually if there's a couple of quarters in there, it'll ring up at a half-dollar or better.

When I dug it, the tool lifted away one of the quarters from the stack. I think the stack originally contained all coins in one group! I pulled the single quarter, then the big group, then another 2 nickels.

FUN FIND!

About doubled the take on my lunchtime hunt.

IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2698.JPG

-Skippy

Upvote 7

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz!

Less than a month ago, I was at a church and found 8 quarters together less than an inch under the surface. I would pull out a quarter or 2, think wow, put my pin pointer back into the hole and it would go off. Rinse, Repeat. It was awesome! I just wish they had been silver! :tongue3:

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a FANTASTIC feeling to find a coin spill like that. Worth about the same as a silver ring, too. :) No melt required!

Congratz!

Less than a month ago, I was at a church and found 8 quarters together less than an inch under the surface. I would pull out a quarter or 2, think wow, put my pin pointer back into the hole and it would go off. Rinse, Repeat. It was awesome! I just wish they had been silver! :tongue3:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet spill. I love spills. Sounds like you experienced 2 big ones for sure.:hello2:

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best spill, or at least the most coins, is where I suspect some kids must of buried a couple rolls of pennies in 1986. When I found them last year the wrappers were just about rotted away but the pennies were still bright and uncirculated. There were close to 100 but not quite. Yes coin spills are nice pennies or otherwise!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best spill, or at least the most coins, is where I suspect some kids must of buried a couple rolls of pennies in 1986. When I found them last year the wrappers were just about rotted away but the pennies were still bright and uncirculated. There were close to 100 but not quite. Yes coin spills are nice pennies or otherwise!

Oh, that's pretty funny! Someone forgot where they buried their buried treasure

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOY SKIP THEM KINDA FINDS ADD UP QUICK ....

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cant beat that gas rebate! great find love those spills!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cant beat that gas rebate! great find love those spills!

It's hard for me to think of it that way. I don't drive very far to do my hunts. I think the farther I go in town is a whopping 4 miles. This one was at the outer limit (all four miles). At 32MPG, that's a quarter of a gallon there and back.. Actually, I just realized at an 8 mile turn around, I DO need to clear $0.80 to break even... That's amazing. Gas rebate, indeed!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you don't need your gas rebate then . :laughing7: Do what I do and use your clad to buy silver at your local Coin Shop

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you don't need your gas rebate then . :laughing7: Do what I do and use your clad to buy silver at your local Coin Shop

I think I've one-upped that. :) I use my clad to by 1800's coins in general. I've got around 45 of the 55 in the type set, so far. Everything from half-cent, cent, 3 cent trime and nickel, nickels, 20 cent piece (I love that one), quarters, halves, and dollars!

I'm down to the coins that all seem to cost $100 or more... :(

But it's a killer collection, none-the-less!

I'm with you all the way, though... if you can't find it, use the clad you DID find, to buy it!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back when I was a rookie detectorist, I found a clad spill in the front yard of a permission, too excited to keep track of the total, if I had to guess it was 2 or 3 dollars.... a week later, another clad spill, again, didn't count the total.... thought this was going to become routine...hasn't happened since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread