Who has a detector they DO NOT like???

That's not the purpose of the thread.
By eliminating losers (for various reasons), there is a narrower field remaining of possible winners to sift through.

Yes, look on the bright side people, there's at least one looser we can now eliminate. That's a start.

BH Fortune Hunter: Didn't like, good starter, not much depth.
Fisher F2: Liked it, great for the price, very fun machine. I found pinpoint and depth gauge to be very accurate. Sniper 4" coil is a killer with this machine.
Whites GMZ: Liked it. Not real deep, but sensitive to very small gold.
Tesoro Compadre: Liked it, Excellent disc! Great coinshooter decent depth and killer on small gold jewelry. Light as a feather.
Tesoro Vaquero: Didn't like. Disc not very accurate, dug lotsa trash. Could never learn language and tell deeper coins from trash.
Minelab Xterra 505: Liked it, great separation and depth. Very sensitive. Highly versatile and solidly built. Found a lot of clad I missed with my other detectors.

From the detectors I've owned;

Garrett GTAx Ultra 1000 - bought in '98 and was a great first machine. First gold, 14k ladies wedding ring.
Garrett GTI 2500 - It was ok but liked my $400 cheaper GTAx better. Not worth the price tag.
Minelab Explorer SE - Best machine out of the 3 with the biggest learning curve. Found my best finds with this machine.
Tesoro Outlaw - It's in the mail

others I've used;

Garrett Ace 250 - by far the worst machine I ever used. Wouldn't recommend at all.
White's XLT - I liked it but never used it enough to get it down, but has me itching to try the MXT Pro.
Tesoro Vaquero - hands down my favorite detector I've used. Most fun I ever had. This is the first Tesoro I ever tried, wish it didn't take 15 years.
I think Tesoro fits me like a glove. The heck with screens, tune your ears.

I can tell you after 40 years of metal detecting, using Whites, (V3i, Spectrum, Eagle pro, IDX, etc.) Garrett (2500, 1500, 1350 All the grandmasters, CX,etc.) Compass, (Can't even remember all the Compass machines I used! Been too long!) Fisher ( The 1266X and all the other X's!) Tesoro Lobo and Super Trac, Treasure Baron GoldTrax/CoinTrax. And many others that don't come to mind, I have finally settled on one detector, that is super lightweight, very well balanced, uses 4 AA batteries that last, seems like forever! Can use multiple coils from 3 KH up to 21 KH and automatically adapts the coil to the machine! Has all metal and disc., auto ground balance w/manual GB, adjustable grunt on iron, or turn it down, or off completely! Has Algorithms, you can make it sound similar to a Minelab, or just about anything you like! Goes deep, a foot,. or more! And has a meter that tells you basicly what is in the ground! And I gotta tell you at age 65, I love everything about it! Some people will tell me it stinks because it comes from Russia! Some people will tell me I am "un American" ( I am a Vietnam Vet, go ahead, try it!) But, I will tell you this, " in my opinion", it puts all those other detectors, above, I have used all these years (40 plus years!) in their place! It is the Sorex Pro and I am sure there are "deeper", "better" "American made", detectors, out there, but I can't find one that fits me like this one does? Very smooth operation! EMI is not usually a problem, but even if it is, there is an "EMI Filter", also a "Bad Ground" filter! I could go on and on, but I won't. It has, fast, medium and slow recovery too! Before you badmouth it, you guys need to look into it and try it!.....Made by AKA, The Sorex Pro and no, I am not a dealer, nor do I sell them. I just enjoy using it! I think there is a guy who offers them for sale here on TreasureNet? Or Google it, or FaceBook maybe? Worth a look fellas, really!.....Dang good detector! Big Red

Last edited:
I can tell you after 40 years of metal detecting, using Whites, (V3i, Spectrum, Eagle pro, IDX, etc.) Garrett (2500, 1500, 1350 All the grandmasters, CX,etc.) Compass, (Can't even remember all the Compass machines I used! Been too long!) Fisher ( The 1266X and all the other X's!) Tesoro Lobo and Super Trac, Treasure Baron GoldTrax/CoinTrax. And many others that don't come to mind, I have finally settled on one detector, that is super lightweight, very well balanced, uses 4 AA batteries that last, seems like forever! Can use multiple coils from 3 KH up to 21 KH and automatically adapts the coil to the machine! Has all metal and disc., auto ground balance w/manual GB, adjustable grunt on iron, or turn it down, or off completely! Has Algorithms, you can make it sound similar to a Minelab, or just about anything you like! Goes deep, a foot,. or more! And has a meter that tells you basicly what is in the ground! And I gotta tell you at age 65, I love everything about it! Some people will tell me it stinks because it comes from Russia! Some people will tell me I am "un American" ( I am a Vietnam Vet, go ahead, try it!) But, I will tell you this, " in my opinion", it puts all those other detectors, above, I have used all these years (40 plus years!) in their place! It is the Sorex Pro and I am sure there are "deeper", "better" "American made", detectors, out there, but I can't find one that fits me like this one does? Very smooth operation! EMI is not usually a problem, but even if it is, there is an "EMI Filter", also a "Bad Ground" filter! I could go on and on, but I won't. It has, fast, medium and slow recovery too! Before you badmouth it, you guys need to look into it and try it!.....Made by AKA, The Sorex Pro and no, I am not a dealer, nor do I sell them. I just enjoy using it! I think there is a guy who offers them for sale here on TreasureNet? Or Google it, or FaceBook maybe? Worth a look fellas, really!.....Dang good detector! Big Red
Sounds intriguing!

Last edited:
From the detectors I've owned;

Garrett GTAx Ultra 1000 - bought in '98 and was a great first machine. First gold, 14k ladies wedding ring.
Garrett GTI 2500 - It was ok but liked my $400 cheaper GTAx better. Not worth the price tag.
Minelab Explorer SE - Best machine out of the 3 with the biggest learning curve. Found my best finds with this machine.
Tesoro Outlaw - It's in the mail

others I've used;

Garrett Ace 250 - by far the worst machine I ever used. Wouldn't recommend at all.
White's XLT - I liked it but never used it enough to get it down, but has me itching to try the MXT Pro.
Tesoro Vaquero - hands down my favorite detector I've used. Most fun I ever had. This is the first Tesoro I ever tried, wish it didn't take 15 years.
I think Tesoro fits me like a glove. The heck with screens, tune your ears.

Snap, crackle, pop! Ok when eating breakfast but not when detecting. My Vaquero was like the rice krispys of metal detectors

Snap, crackle, pop! Ok when eating breakfast but not when detecting. My Vaquero was like the rice krispys of metal detectors

Really.
I found the V to be so easy to dial in.

Really.
I found the V to be so easy to dial in.

Oh very easy to dial and great in all metal as well especially with the 5.75" dd coil. Great nugget shooter, too. In disc mode in the iron trashy areas I tend to hunt, there was alot of noise and pops that were hard to discern from deep targets. The deeper targets would sometimes give one-way signals or pop/click as well. My lack of learning it may have played a part in that as well, I will admit!

Last edited:
I was told my Tiger shark would be rubbish in the salt water so I feared I would be listing it here but it has performed as advertised in 15 to 25 ft sea water ( so far) found lots of metal, nothing of value yet but still looking, not one false reading yet, go Tesoro.....it found one clump of iron welded in the shoreline I have to go back and dig it out so maybe something good, we'll see

Last edited:
Of the different threads, this one probably was the one that helped me the most on making a decision on my first detector. Even though the lack of display makes me nervous, I am going to go with a Tesoro.

Of the different threads, this one probably was the one that helped me the most on making a decision on my first detector. Even though the lack of display makes me nervous, I am going to go with a Tesoro.

Don't be nervous if you don't have Visual ID. Listen to your machine! If you rely too much on the visual id, you may miss gold! In my early days I had machines that didn't have visual id and it seemed like I found more gold. A display is good for telling you the depth. Visual id can make you lazy if you rely on it too much....Good luck on your choice!

Lack of display does'nt make my nervous its having only one tone for everything that makes me nervous.

its having only one tone for everything that makes me nervous.

Yep it get pretty old listening to one tone over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!

Best to have a variety... Gotta agree with fella there though!

Lack of display does'nt make my nervous its having only one tone for everything that makes me nervous.

Yep, 1 tone is just not enough info for me either.

Before I tried a Tesoro I'd totally agree with you guys. Once I got my Explorer I thought I'd be a Minelab guy for life. I laughed at Tesoro thinking they were out dated low tech. Biggest mistake I ever thought with detectors.
Everyone is different, which is a good thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back