atomicscott
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Aug 18, 2011
- Messages
- 1,570
- Reaction score
- 1,055
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Riverside CA
- Detector(s) used
- Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
From the detectors I've owned;
Garrett GTAx Ultra 1000 - bought in '98 and was a great first machine. First gold, 14k ladies wedding ring.
Garrett GTI 2500 - It was ok but liked my $400 cheaper GTAx better. Not worth the price tag.
Minelab Explorer SE - Best machine out of the 3 with the biggest learning curve. Found my best finds with this machine.
Tesoro Outlaw - It's in the mail
others I've used;
Garrett Ace 250 - by far the worst machine I ever used. Wouldn't recommend at all.
White's XLT - I liked it but never used it enough to get it down, but has me itching to try the MXT Pro.
Tesoro Vaquero - hands down my favorite detector I've used. Most fun I ever had. This is the first Tesoro I ever tried, wish it didn't take 15 years.
I think Tesoro fits me like a glove. The heck with screens, tune your ears.
So you havent owned/tried a Vaquero? My only Tesoro's were a Compadre and Vaquero. I almost exlusively used the 5.75 widescan, as the depth was a about the same as the 9x8 concentric. I am only basing my particular opinions on my experience with the 2 Tesoro's I have owned. Maybe the Outlaw is much better then the Vaquero. I havent owned one so can't say. In my case, compared to the V, the X-Terra 505 was much easier to learn, had better separation, better (usable) depth & I can run all metal and not have to dig every target or thumb the disc to know what's under the coil. Not to mention the no-motion (plus visual) pinpoint makes target recovery much easier. To me, the Compadre lived up to the hype! The Vaquero (in my case) did not.
What brand, and why not....I always hear how happy everyone is with what they have, but there must be a few that are not...I have a Garrett 1350, that im not real excited about, it may just be me, but it tends to false alot, and is hard to pinpoint with....Thanks for any replys....Tom







