What's new

Who is marking the halves?

TheRandyMan

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
576
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done any CRH in almost a year now but I was hot and heavy into it for awhile last year, all of it in halves. I would buy 5k boxes a week but as will often happen, the dumping became a problem. But one thing I started to see was that many of the clad coins were being marked by some color of permanent marker. I assume this was from other silver hunters who were marking their coins in an attempt to either track if they were getting repeats or just make it easier to sort clad/silver should those coins come back to them in future boxes(?).

Any of you CRHers mark your clad rejects?? Seemed like I was seeing more and more of it right before I stopped after a long 20k dry run with no silver...that gets old, old, old... :(
 
Upvote 0
My last box of $500 had at least 8 coins marked per roll...

Came to 53% of coins in the box marked. >:(

In my case, with blue marker just right of kennedy's ear.

...532 coins marked, and the box was a skunk as well.

Similar to your box?
(I do not mark my coins because marked coins get me mad)
 
I had some boxes with that percentage and higher. It was one of the things that drove me to stop buying the boxes from Loomis/Brinks etc as it seemed like the marked coins were in much higher percentages in those. I guess it could help in some strange way as it doesn't take long to go through them when you can eliminate all the marked ones....wait a minute, what if they missed a silver?? Darnit, still have to go through em all anyways :tongue3:

So, basically, its a waste of time for you "markers" to keep marking them...please stop. :help:
 
interesting, i've only searched 2 half dollar boxes, but on my first box was a 1964 ender and on the back of that, a big mark with a black perminant marker??? ???

other thn that, it would've been a nice coin.

Box1: 1x 1964
1x 1966
1x 1967
3x 1968-d
1x 1969-d

Box2: skunk with 53% marked

expecting 2 more boxes sometime this week
 
TheRandyMan said:
I had some boxes with that percentage and higher. It was one of the things that drove me to stop buying the boxes from Loomis/Brinks etc as it seemed like the marked coins were in much higher percentages in those. I guess it could help in some strange way as it doesn't take long to go through them when you can eliminate all the marked ones....wait a minute, what if they missed a silver?? Darnit, still have to go through em all anyways :tongue3:

So, basically, its a waste of time for you "markers" to keep marking them...please stop. :help:


I agree with you about marked coins Randy, but you will get little sympathy here in that there seems that the coin markers' lobby has a fairly large contingent here. ;D

Jim
 
No I do not mark the coins. But I did see a lot of marked coins today.....Matt
 
I mark some with every batch I do. I know I am doing something right when I have yet to get one of mine back. ;D
 
Despite the fact that I mark some of the coins I get. I don't mark all of them only really beat up ones like ones used in casinos. I do around 20 per box. After 20k in skunks with plenty of marked coins, you may be in the midst of a "monster" CRHer or perhaps Loomis/Brinks is culling them. At least with marked coins, you know which one it is. Monster CRHers can ruin it for the little guy. Although I don't blame monster searchers (it's their money they can do what they want with it) because that's what I would do if I had the extra funds and spare time , I do feel for the little guy. More likely a monster searcher is in your area. I don't do enough volume to effect the system here much. People have gotten my marked coins along with keepers in their boxes.

If you got 20 k in skunks without marked coins, you'd probably be thinking that the sorting facility is culling them and you'd still be upset thinking WTF. :coffee2:
 
Yep..that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, among other things. Really blows after awhile. :'(
 
I don't keep firm stats but I would say 25-30% are marked in an average box, but all different kinds of marks - initials, numbers, dots in different colors and locations etc.

I did find a half that was painted silver yesterday!! - Someone is a real comedian. I don't mind as I date search every coin regardless, but still, that is going to really tick off the edge searchers/bulk searchers out there. I advise whomever it is, to stop painting coin!! It's dumb.
 
To Agcoinhunter. You mark coins and you've NEVER gotten one back? Wow. Do you live near a Fed Res border area? Mark 'em from one district and dump in another? If so that seems fruitless. If you're dumping back in your same district and haven't gotten any back yet I have a question.

How many boxes do you do per week?

I've gotten the exact same marked coin twice in one year. Marked one coin in March '09 and saw it again in Sept or Oct. '09. Kept it to show my sister-in-law. Told her when I marked it as it was the only coin I ever marked. Called her six months later when I got it back. Dunno how many CRH'ers there are in this Fed Res district but gotta be a BUNCH!
 
Got a couple marked coins today, beautiful 2010 D coins with big ol' sharpie marks on them.
 
fiddycent said:
To Agcoinhunter. You mark coins and you've NEVER gotten one back? Wow. Do you live near a Fed Res border area? Mark 'em from one district and dump in another? If so that seems fruitless. If you're dumping back in your same district and haven't gotten any back yet I have a question.

How many boxes do you do per week?

I've gotten the exact same marked coin twice in one year. Marked one coin in March '09 and saw it again in Sept or Oct. '09. Kept it to show my sister-in-law. Told her when I marked it as it was the only coin I ever marked. Called her six months later when I got it back. Dunno how many CRH'ers there are in this Fed Res district but gotta be a BUNCH!

Nope, I live smack in the middle of a district. Been doing it for almost 2 years now. I pickup with one provider and dump to two different ones. Do $2k a week. I do believe I have found a vault that a lot of CRHers are not pulling from. I do get dumps from other searchers on this forum from time to time but longest dry run I have had in 2 years was about 3 weeks.
 
My only question is...

What do you learn by marking a coin?

Really, I'm losing some grey matter trying figure this out.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
fiddycent said:
To Agcoinhunter. You mark coins and you've NEVER gotten one back? Wow. Do you live near a Fed Res border area? Mark 'em from one district and dump in another? If so that seems fruitless. If you're dumping back in your same district and haven't gotten any back yet I have a question.

How many boxes do you do per week?

I've gotten the exact same marked coin twice in one year. Marked one coin in March '09 and saw it again in Sept or Oct. '09. Kept it to show my sister-in-law. Told her when I marked it as it was the only coin I ever marked. Called her six months later when I got it back. Dunno how many CRH'ers there are in this Fed Res district but gotta be a BUNCH!

Nope, I live smack in the middle of a district. Been doing it for almost 2 years now. I pickup with one provider and dump to two different ones. Do $2k a week. I do believe I have found a vault that a lot of CRHers are not pulling from. I do get dumps from other searchers on this forum from time to time but longest dry run I have had in 2 years was about 3 weeks.

Yep.. I completely agree.. I don't typically get my current dumps back. Although I have gotten my dumps back before but not too often. I do get other people's dumps though.
 
47thelement said:
My only question is...

What do you learn by marking a coin?

Really, I'm losing some grey matter trying figure this out.

Learned that I am working the system the right way... I dont get my coins back hence I am searching more coins...not too hard to figure out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom