Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Republics are created for the citizens to thrive. However, in time, citizens forget what it means to struggle, which leads to complacency. Thus, by it's very nature, a Republic is destined to fail. The question I ask is...........Can a Republic survive it's own demise?

I believe it can.

Or stated differently, pain facilitates growth, so I do not see doom and gloom. I see the need for us to fail so we can grow as a nation.

Then again, I am an optimist so...................

Excellent statement.

That is what made America great "Optimism"

I remember many years ago old Texan Drillers words I knew down in Peru.

He would say to me there is no such thing as failure " just " a "set back".

It was this can do attitude that was much admired and looked up to.

Crow

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Crow means it's a quality of life issue. There's a big difference between living and existing. I figured that out when my parents got sick. In the end, they were just existing and no longer living. Same goes for pets I've had over the years. When they're no longer enjoying life and just existing, it's time to put them out of their misery.

I'd definitely prefer death over living on freeze dried rations and eating blocks of government cheese to survive. And If I ever become homeless, I'd prefer death over living in a cardboard box under some freeway overpass. If you look in the mirror and realize that you're just existing and no longer living, it's time to go. Just my point of view.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Crow means it's a quality of life issue. There's a big difference between living and existing. I figured that out when my parents got sick. In the end, they were just existing and no longer living. Same goes for pets I've had over the years. When they're no longer enjoying life and just existing, it's time to put them out of their misery.

I'd definitely prefer death over living on freeze dried rations and eating blocks of government cheese to survive. And If I ever become homeless, I'd prefer death over living in a cardboard box under some freeway overpass. If you look in the mirror and realize that you're just existing and no longer living, it's time to go. Just my point of view.

I find this all interesting how some would throw away life and others hang on to it. This is a bit removed from the original topic and way more so than that of a shtf scenario. Those that would say what's the use are to me like the idiots that jumped off roofs and windows when the stock market crashed in '29. That's the quality of life that was being referenced there because after the crash they were dirt poor. They chose suicide because they didn't want to live any other way than what their pampered rear ends were used to. Could they have turned things around and lived a good happy life later? The answer is yes. Even after a nuclear war one doesn't know what will be as it could get better even if below your standards. I about died 16 years ago because the doctor saw no hope in my living and he basically wanted to not even try with me. My wife insisted he try and give me a fighting chance with an operation. As the doctor said to my wife he did what he could, but it was me and my will to live that changed things and I got out of the hospital after about a month. To quote them, I was a miracle. I am not living my life like I was before my operation and have many problems, but it's unthinkable to me to just throw my life away for that reason.

As to the pets, it is your responsibility to allow them to live even if just existing. Most of the life on the planet is just existing. It's only pertinent to stop the pains of an animal if terminal. Beyond that is cruelty and it surprises me how many of you think so little of your own lives let alone the lives of pets.

Back to the subject of the dollar crashing, it looks like the population will go down by suicide. Less competition for us survivors then.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
grrrr, lost a post, hate that

I have mentioned Michael Greer previously and he has 1/2 million words on the subject of decline. He somewhat follows Oswald Spengler, another 1/2 million words. It is most unlikely that at the flip of a switch the world will plunge into anarchy, never forget momentum. Here and there, up and down, but steady down from the peak.

Ah, and who can call the top? Traders will understand the futility of calling tops. None of us are societal decision makers, with work, and luck, we may have and care for our families.
We can be proactive or see what our "leaders" will provide, but remember that politicians are concerned with getting and retaining power. And finally we get to something that the individual can effect: Is the society in which one lives the best (available) for them? Or perhaps one will choose to make a refuge within the society.

These are personal choices, also when ignored. But note that few have the motivation to cut their roots and transplant. I made my assessment and moved out of the US. Time will tell.

A note to survivalists, do read about the Russian family livivg in Siberia - Agafia Lykova. Sobering

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Swaveab

No one suggests killing themselves on the grounds of having bad hair day amigo or stock market collapse or a failed relationship. Nor in situation with a medical condition that has a chance.....That would be a travesty and utter waste of life.

Trust me on that I would be first one that would try to save anyone. But there are times amigo some people are better off dead....

Radiation burns is slow and very painful death.........

My old boy died a slow painful death of cancer back in the 80's We tried everything available he was veteran that had been exposed to the chemical Ancient Orange. It was pitiful sight amigo to see a once strong proud man a warrior reduced what he had become. The flesh shrank away from his eyes his teeth feel out.His hair had fallen out. His liver started to fail and his skin went yellow and green spewing the most foul smelling vile. I remember picking him up and he was so frail as light as child all skin and bone. He lingered in agony for 8 months. In the end I prayed for him to die.

He was the living dead. In the end he died in his own bed in his own home with his family around him. When he died I did not cry but overjoyed as as his gurgling breath stopped and his eyes glazed over I knew he would be in a better place than the agonizing pain he went through.

So from that day forward I became convinced I rather go out on my terms than die a painful lingering death. So yeah I can agree with Freebirdtim.

As for animal yeah I am a softy with them and hate to see them suffer but if it came to point they are in total pain they yeah time to go put them out of their misery. Just before pandemic over 12 months ago there was some big bush fires in Australia hundreds of thousands of stock was horribly burnt. Some of sheep on my mates property could not escape the fires.We shot thousands of sheep to put them out of their agony. Some had their eyes boiled out and cut from blindly running onto barbed wire where the fire caught up to them and feet burned off.

It was the most pitiful sight amigo.

sheep.jpg

When is the point when the price of life is too high. The most humane thing is put them down as quickly as possible.

Hopefully people who think they are survivalist will never have the heartbreak of really experiencing Armageddon.

Crow

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those saying they'd trade their food(survivability) for gold or silver during an apocalypse are just idealizing the situation from the warm safety of their keyboard, as one doesn't know when, if ever, the apocalypse will end.

If you have two years of food store, you don't know that the apocalypse is going to end in one year, or ten so you wouldn't be trading away your food and the survivability potential of you and your children for some unknown FPV (future potential value). Sure, once we have a handle on the apocalypse and it's clear we will survive and recover from it, we can start trading for gold again, but in the meantime, it'd be virtually worthless, other then maybe to make fishing sinkers out of or what not.

I do not think you understand the extent that I am prepared. Right down to materials for making my own black powder, producing electricity, and wood gas. I have nearly everything I need to survive for the next 50 years, minus some medications like antibiotics and such. But even then I have the knowledge to produce some of it myself if need be. I stated I would trade for gold in the collapse of the dollar, not sure what you mean by the apocalypse though. There are situations where perhaps I would not trade for gold....but history dictates that society recovers to the point of trading gold pretty quickly after it crumbles.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it's a pretty good to have quite a few of those laying around. Rubbing sticks together never worked for me....

And, methinks I'll try a garden again this year - failed miserably my first time at it and gave up that dream. But maybe I learned a bit from that experience.

I can rub sticks together to make fire....but it is a HUGE pain in the butt. For sure not using that method everytime to light up a cig haha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That said my applies as we have digressed a little from the original question. The dollar will fall but not crash it is more resilient than you think. You will go through some tough times but its not the end of the world. You will come out of it stronger and better for it.

Crow

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You Have Just Won...The Lottery!

View attachment 1906292

I am a survivalist who has listened to many of the experts over the years.

Live on my own log home property, my own sewage system, my own deep water well and a lake full of wild life and fish.

Years of stored food, gas, generators, and enough fire power to ward off a platoon of invaders.

The best advice was to purchase Physical Silver...a currency that has survived thousands of years.

With its recent rise in value.... earning me thousands of dollars in value and with the need of this commodity in the building of the Solar Grid...I only see great value in the coming future.

I have seen the great need for countries to have tried to spend their way out of Covid... only to have accumulated huge financial debt...US's 30 trillion or more!

I am of the belief that it will come down to countries defaulting on their capabilities to service this debt and the need for greater taxation applied to their citizens.
Here’s how I see it - more dollars needed to purchase an oz of silver is not a rise in value, it’s a loss in purchasing power.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One has to know that not all eggs are created equal. Now I can't keep the large eggs on hand as I just started selling them a large size gets $6.00 a dozen for organic fed. Now take a look at this post up of a few eggs and see what a large and a jumbo egg looks like. The jumbo is jumbo and my scale proves that.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/622622-gifs-pics-more-223.html

Jeff you living on the cheap really as we're paying $4.50 for that same gas. It take a $1000+ a month to rent a one bedroom cockroach hotel room, a house that sold for under a 100K are getting a 100K over asking now a year later.
A 5 gal bucket of hydraulic fluid was $35-now retails for a $100 a yr later.
Want to build anything a 2x4 will run a $1.00 a foot-where as it was 35 cents just a few years back.
Plywood sheeting 3/8" is nearing a $1.00 sq.ft.

But you can't eat money-nor silver/gold-just ask the good folks of TX how they made out with a little taste of the Mother Nature this past week or so back.
Power/water-better have a back up plan....food on store if there are no stores...how long can one get along?
Wow! $6/dozen. My Isa Reds are laying jumbos and they are half organic fed. Several friends will not accept my light brown eggs for free, I quit selling and I give them away. They won’t accept free produce from my garden either because it doesn’t come from a store. I’m rural and very few neighbors garden, if the do it’s a potted tomato plant on the back porch. IMO private gardens and anything related to self-sufficiency will be outlawed in the near future.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! $6/dozen. My Isa Reds are laying jumbos and they are half organic fed. Several friends will not accept my light brown eggs for free, I quit selling and I give them away. They won’t accept free produce from my garden either because it doesn’t come from a store. I’m rural and very few neighbors garden, if the do it’s a potted tomato plant on the back porch. IMO private gardens and anything related to self-sufficiency will be outlawed in the near future.

For me I love home raised eggs and fresh veggies from the garden and it doesn't matter whose garden they come from .

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think you understand the extent that I am prepared. Right down to materials for making my own black powder, producing electricity, and wood gas. I have nearly everything I need to survive for the next 50 years, minus some medications like antibiotics and such. But even then I have the knowledge to produce some of it myself if need be. I stated I would trade for gold in the collapse of the dollar, not sure what you mean by the apocalypse though. There are situations where perhaps I would not trade for gold....but history dictates that society recovers to the point of trading gold pretty quickly after it crumbles.

I've learned that we need very little to survive...Most of it is a mental "game". We own property(my avatar) 2 summers ago I spent almost a whole summer on that land with my wife and Son and pretty much nothing. We had to run home for Dr. appointments for my Son and a funeral. So, we didn't stay as long as planned. our longest stretch was 6 weeks. A tent, tarps, fishing poles, make shift woods shower, Solar panels and batteries mostly for lights and a DVD player since my Son was so little yet. We took hardly anything! washed clothes in the creak and even bathed in it daily when we didn't feel like messing with the water tank for the shower. ......We did it for fun!!! And could have stayed a long long time with no issues. Actually, if it wasn't for trying to provide my Son some kind of normal life, I could live there out of a hut....Wouldn't bother me too much. The mental outlook of the situation if things fell apart would be the key. Same when the dollar falls apart, a lot of possessions wouldn't be as important anymore....Huge Tv's, new cars, etc....for what? Mostly what we do and buy is for our entertainment. I look forward to the challenge if it crumbles.

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Fistfulladirt, I think your friends are pretty dumb. I'd trust something off of a farm before the store.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better question is .Who thinks the system is NOT going to crash.:tongue7:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the "free range" chicken and egg thing.

I always thought "free range" meant chickens raised like Grandpa used to raise them, running free around the farm, but it does not.

I was at a chicken farmer's place that has 2 giant chicken houses, i looked inside one, and they were not in cages, just walking around in their poop, packed in tight, feathers looked bad.

I asked him why they weren't in cages, he said that he can get more for them this way, they are "free range".

They honestly looked worse than the ones I have seen in cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions