Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Simon, what a frightening situation that must have been and the McDonalds employees displayed the lowest form of humanity. Imagine how much worse that situation could have been if guns were involved. Sounds like police handled it well and your son is very brave

Maybe, maybe not. Had I had my permit at that time I may have exposed my weapon and the attempted robbery/car jacking MAY never had taken place and I would not have had suffered a knife, box cutter, or razor blade cut to my arm.
T R U S T M E !, None of us "WANT" to use our "legally carried weapon". It requires MORE thought process than most can understand. When we took our classes, we were ALL told, by the county attorney's representative who was there to field questions, that if we ever fired as much as a single shot, whether we were within our rights or not, that we would spend the night in jail while the investigation took place, not to mention the mental impact of ourselves, our families as well as even the victim. Then the countless hours of legal defense, time in court, ect. ect. ect.. Legally carrying a firearm with the potential to end someone's life is a HUGE responsibility and almost everyone who does "legally" carry is someone who is a good, law abiding citizen. I would bet that you might be surprised how many people you believe are your friends may be "legally' carrying. Most that "legally" carry do NOT advertise it either. I respect your rights and opinion, I am just trying to shed some light from the perspective of those who do carry so maybe you can see our side also. Thanks claire

Doug

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I thank God for getting out of bed every morning. Only God knows what the day will bring, that is why I carry a firearm.

As to what I carry, it all depends on where we will be detecting. We mainly do deep woods detecting so it usually calls for a snake gun which doubles as a coyote repeler.

I respect everyone's right to carry or not, but please don't call me crazy because I do, I am the bread winner in the family and if something happened to me, all would be lost. Common sense dictates.....

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is totally false. The first time I was in the Magic Kingdom and I was politely asked to check my firearm with security. I did that with no problem. In fact, I was carrying my three year old and had been separated from my wife so he came behind scenes with me. They gave him Mickey Security stickers and played with him. No problem at all.

The second time I was in Disney Springs and I didn't realize I was not allowed to carry their either. I was with my nephew eating icecream at Ghiradelli and the cashier saw "a buldge" when I pulled my wallet out. They gave me the offer of checking or leaving. I chose to leave. We ate our ice cream as we walked.

Both times they were very polite and apologetic. They asked my profession, understand why I carried, and joked with me throughout the entire process.

Don't believe everything you hear. Disney was very nice to me.

Good to know, thanks for correcting the misleading info I'd read on the gun forums.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon, what a frightening situation that must have been and the McDonalds employees displayed the lowest form of humanity. Imagine how much worse that situation could have been if guns were involved. Sounds like police handled it well and your son is very brave

How much worse? In Florida the piece of trash would have been shot if victim was carrying and rightfully so, being attacked with box cutter is threat on his life........

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Wow, I'm sorry you had to experience that horror and I appreciate your explanation and I totally understand how your view has changed and I respect that. Honestly, I just become scared when I hear how many "nobody better come and take away my guns"!extremists I hear. The beach and metal detecting is a stress relieving enjoyable activity and I have never felt the least bit in danger and it saddens me that others feel differently. I appreciate your thoughtful discussion and best wishes

Claire I agree with you. I do not LIKE carrying a gun and never really wanted to ... it's definitely not for bragging rights or anything like that. It's uncomfortable at times, there are places where I can't legally carry it and I constantly need to juggle it between storage and waist band. Movies are especially uncomfortable because it digs into my side in those cushy chairs. I never worried about carrying a gun until I had one pointed in my face by a criminal, followed up with a carjacking where I watched a young mom be killed, and an incident where a good friend of mine was shot three times in a carjacking... which I believe was a hit attempt due to some business disagreements, and I found out I was also possibly on that list.

Having someone try to kill you is a scary scary feeling, one of complete helplessness. It's even worse when you know it's coming but don't know when. Calling 911 is not an option and even if it were they would show up 15 minutes too late.

From that point on I have carried every day. My wife and young daughter depend on me every day and I intend to be there for them.

I'm just not willing to let someone who contributes no value to society take me away from my family. I will also not let them take ANYONE who is near me.

I'm not a gun nut, but you can see why I would fight politically to be able to keep the right to defend myself. Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

I hope you never feel the need to own a gun, if you do feel that need someday I hope you get one with proper training rather than rely on your cell phone.

Even if you don't choose to own a gun please be open minded about those who take that option.

I think you would be completely surprised to find most gun owners are very nice people, just like you, and in most cases you would have no idea who is carrying and who isn't.

The nice bunch of detectorists who replied give you some idea. I bet you didn't expect that. Take care.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I always carry because it has a nice calming effect.

I'm calm because I know I can defend myself and my family if I NEED to. I'm not going to bust up a bank robbery- not my job anymore.

When I'm in the woods detecting and I see some guy walking my way, I'll talk to him and not get all nervous.

For the people who don't like guns.

Please don't ever buy one. Get yourself a nice can of pepper spray or bear spray. It fits nicely on the hunting belt, in the car, next to the front door, on the night stand...

You can't recall a bullet. Once it leaves the barrel, it's gone for good.

With pepper spray, if you make a mistake- it can be washed off. You would be more willing to soak a bad guy's face with bear spray than firing several rounds. It affords you the opportunity to disengage.

Think Non-Lethal force. It's generally pretty effective.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Beach is a Stress Reliever, but having a self defense item also is a stress reliever. Try it you may like it. It will become a part of your body.
Claire I agree with you. I do not LIKE carrying a gun and never really wanted to ... it's definitely not for bragging rights or anything like that. It's uncomfortable at times, there are places where I can't legally carry it and I constantly need to juggle it between storage and waist band. Movies are especially uncomfortable because it digs into my side in those cushy chairs. I never worried about carrying a gun until I had one pointed in my face by a criminal, followed up with a carjacking where I watched a young mom be killed, and an incident where a good friend of mine was shot three times in a carjacking... which I believe was a hit attempt due to some business disagreements, and I found out I was also possibly on that list.

Having someone try to kill you is a scary scary feeling, one of complete helplessness. It's even worse when you know it's coming but don't know when. Calling 911 is not an option and even if it were they would show up 15 minutes too late.

From that point on I have carried every day. My wife and young daughter depend on me every day and I intend to be there for them.

I'm just not willing to let someone who contributes no value to society take me away from my family. I will also not let them take ANYONE who is near me.

I'm not a gun nut, but you can see why I would fight politically to be able to keep the right to defend myself. Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

I hope you never feel the need to own a gun, if you do feel that need someday I hope you get one with proper training rather than rely on your cell phone.

Even if you don't choose to own a gun please be open minded about those who take that option.

I think you would be completely surprised to find most gun owners are very nice people, just like you, and in most cases you would have no idea who is carrying and who isn't.

The nice bunch of detectorists who replied give you some idea. I bet you didn't expect that. Take care.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Man with concealed weapon arrested at Disney World Dec 7th 2015.

Here's a genius...

I'm glad he was arrested without incident.

In part states:

BAY LAKE, Fla. —
A Miami lawyer was arrested last Friday afternoon after trying to bring a gun into the Magic Kingdom Park, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.
A Walt Disney World security guard was searching bags outside the park when she noticed a bulge in a man’s pants.
Andrew Gerson, 36, joked that the bulge was part of his anatomy, but deputies said it was actually a snub-nosed revolver loaded with five hollow-point bullets.
Gerson walked away and the security guard located a sheriff’s deputy, a Sheriff’s Office report said.
The deputy followed Gerson from a distance, and when he noticed he was being followed, Gerson started to run, according to the report.
That’s when the deputy pointed a gun at Gerson, commanding him to stop.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like I said, the day I feel that I have to carry a gun to the beach will be a very sad day. No offense but I think you all sound a little irrational

Clair, there are some (not many, but it only takes one) very bad people out there, and they have guns. Look at those poor dead people in California. They were at a company Christmas party. If even one of them was armed, some of those people would still be alive. Think about that.

Self defense is not irrational. It is common sense. The police cannot be everywhere all the time.

Clair, I sincerely hope you never have a bad experience that causes you to change your view. And if you do, I hope someone like me is there to protect you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man with concealed weapon arrested at Disney World Dec 7th 2015.

Here's a genius...

I'm glad he was arrested without incident.

In part states:

BAY LAKE, Fla. —
A Miami lawyer was arrested last Friday afternoon after trying to bring a gun into the Magic Kingdom Park, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.
A Walt Disney World security guard was searching bags outside the park when she noticed a bulge in a man’s pants.
Andrew Gerson, 36, joked that the bulge was part of his anatomy, but deputies said it was actually a snub-nosed revolver loaded with five hollow-point bullets.
Gerson walked away and the security guard located a sheriff’s deputy, a Sheriff’s Office report said.
The deputy followed Gerson from a distance, and when he noticed he was being followed, Gerson started to run, according to the report.
That’s when the deputy pointed a gun at Gerson, commanding him to stop.
He did not have a conceal carry permit and was carrying weapon illegally...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, the day I feel that I have to carry a gun to the beach will be a very sad day. No offense but I think you all sound a little irrational

No offense, though I find your post very irrational. No one forces you to carry a gun, I don't carry a gun.
That being said, how would it affect you or I if all these wonderful people from TN carried? - The more good people carrying, the safer I am out there. <----That's a period.
Common sense is a rational thing.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fl makes the news a good bit about our rights to shot about anyone lol. Most of those are a one sided story told by the person who feared for their life. I have a permit but dont carry...... however, dont make me go back to my Jeep to get my stuff back. I must admit ive ran into a few situations on the beach that made me uncomfortable, but for the most part i avoid the areas where you might be alone suddenly. Gun or not....... there will be a fight if you want my stuff.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So he carries a gun, yea and? It's his right. Way too many people nowadays with their heads stuck in the ground. I just don't get it. Hello, there are bad people out there, lots of them. Get it? This world is not all pixie dust and fairy tales. Ignorance is a mofo let me tell ya. Stay safe people, we are all we got.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few quotes:

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
- James Earl Jones

Two of my favorite:

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
- Thomas Jefferson

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."
- Christian Slater

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea Joe it's not like when we hunted 10 years ago or more, but now everything is drugs and they will do anything to get them, I got a ruger LCR 38 and a permit to carry it also, you need one joe.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
It is better not to step in crap then to step in it and scrape it off. I think I'm starting to get it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is better not to step in crap then to step in it and scrape it off. I think I'm starting to get it.

Huh? I like your analogy, just not sure what it means as related to the topic of this thread. Please explain.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Better to have a firearm and not need it then to need it and not have it" also "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6..."

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Got tired of the same old cliches. Thought I would make up my own. Not sure what point it makes. I guess it is better it is better to step over some things then it is to step into. Don't mind me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions