Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, statistically you are more likely to be hurt in a robbery if you are armed. But if it makes you feel safer by all means carry.

Standard liberal propaganda, also the stats are flawed as they include suicides.. How many times a year nation wide do you think people use a firearm, fired or not to defend their selves...?

I guess I am also more likely to be in an auto accident if I have auto insurance....

I chose to be an armed citizen rather than be an unarmed victim...

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Canada we just get to be victims, we don't get the option to defend ourselves. Even at home everything has to be under lock and key, I dont think a criminal is going to pause while we go to our gun safe, punch in the code, or remove trigger locks, find the ammunition then load mags etc. We are dead long before. It is the world we live in, criminals have more rights.

This is sad.. The US Second Amendment protects our right to bear arms. Thank you to our forefathers.

Bud

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Plenty of research and statistics on Webb. The particular one sited was done in Philadelphia.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I can make a statistic say anything you would like it to say.

The stats for a group of Florida blue headed old ladies will be different than the stats of a 30 something crowd in the hood.

Everyone is different. Only carry if you can have the ability to use, and are prepared for whatever may result.

My wife won't carry because she realizes she may lose control of the weapon and have it used against her.

But then again, she says that's why she keeps me around. I get to do the heavy lifting...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The study compared the rate of injury and death in robberies only. Looking at those who were armed and unarmed. Those armed were injured / killed at a higher rate. 4. 2. It mentioned that those that carried tended to over react. I didn't write it, just reporting. Plenty of studies out there.

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
V3i, CTX3030, AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deleted not worth arguing about Im sure the cops will protect you all

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics. Like I said, without seeing EXACTLY what was studied, of whom, where, when I call bs. I can do a study and ignore specific aspects of a data set to make it say what ever I want.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Isn't that the beauty of statistics. You can have them prove what ever you want. It swings both ways. Nothing to be bothered about once it is understood.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that the beauty of statistics. You can have them prove what ever you want. It swings both ways. Nothing to be bothered about once it is understood.

except for when the media try to use them to sway the gullible masses.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
its a MD forum right? I think it's time to put the thread to bed. Just saying.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
except for when the media try to use them to sway the gullible masses.

and that's the trick that is working more and more these days..............If people just went by a little common sense, most of our problems would be solved.....Most.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a MD forum right? I think it's time to put the thread to bed. Just saying.

Joeb, the thread is legitimate thread asking about carrying firearms while metal detecting, replies have not crossed any lines regarding our rules yet......

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach.

Always get a kick out of this. She's "pro-gun", yet felt the need to mention it on the news. She instead seems to be perpetuating the fact that when some people see someone carrying a weapon, it seems "out of place", and someone needs told about it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm just saying that if everyone's "carrying", to me it seems that there is a greater chance for things to go terribly wrong.

If that were true, how do you explain the fact that the places with the strictest gun control regulations also have the most gun violence?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
People want to be safe. I get that. Statistics will not change that. But one in 4 Americans die from heart disease. That's a statistic to take serious. So I hope we all try to be safer and healthier this coming year by eating healthier and some form of regular excercise. And of course more metal detecting which is a great stress reducer, armed or unarmed. Happy New years to you all.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The study compared the rate of injury and death in robberies only. Looking at those who were armed and unarmed. Those armed were injured / killed at a higher rate. 4. 2. It mentioned that those that carried tended to over react. I didn't write it, just reporting. Plenty of studies out there.

Without a source I can only believe you misunderstood the study. www.ncjrs.gov reports the following:

"In robberies and assaults, victims are far more
likely to die when the perpetrator
is armed with a
gun than when he or she has another weapon or is
unarmed."

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, statistically you are more likely to be hurt in a robbery if you are armed. But if it makes you feel safer by all means carry.
Statistically speaking, how likely is the robber to be hurt by a victim not armed?

trsynsh

Oct 28, 2015
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of my gold hunting is done in the mountains of Southern California. I carry because I just feel a lot more comfortable knowing that if I were to run into a bear or the like, I can protect myself. It's probably not legal, I don't know, haven't even looked. I get the feeling that if I were to look into it I wouldn't like the answer, likely telling me that I'm unable to carry a pistol on my person, even in bear country. Ignorance is bliss. :occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of my gold hunting is done in the mountains of Southern California. I carry because I just feel a lot more comfortable knowing that if I were to run into a bear or the like, I can protect myself. It's probably not legal, I don't know, haven't even looked. I get the feeling that if I were to look into it I wouldn't like the answer, likely telling me that I'm unable to carry a pistol on my person, even in bear country. Ignorance is bliss. :occasion14:

I think you'd be better off researching the ballistics of your pistols against a bear!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread