What's new

Who's that hooting in my tree?

WilliamBoyd

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
648
Reaction score
341
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
post_localowls_160814_01.jpg

Great Horned Owl

post_localowls_160814_02.jpg

Old Red Eye

:)
 
Last edited:
Many mornings I have woke up on my days off to a hooting under the bedroom window. I chuckle now when I hear the neighbor trying to get a gobbler to sound off:tongue3:
 
I should be seeing those guys around my neighborhood soon. They come for the many rabbit around in the yards.
 
Last edited:
Always fun to see. They're showing up in my area now and they can really clean up on cottontail's around the neighborhood. Sometimes I'll find bits of bunny fur, flesh and guts under the trees from where the rip em up. I hear them hoot'n 2 to 3 hours before sunrise now. They seem to be passing messages to each other.
 
They love chickens, one flew through the glass window of my buddies chicken coup and killed 3 chickens, even after suffing a broken wing, he was still in the coup when he went to check on them in the am, they attack at night as they are nocturnal.

I put chicken wire over my windows on my coup even though they are plexi glass after seeing that.
 
Once upon a time ago, I saw one siting on the side of the road on the way back from church. We turned around and "captured" it. It had been hit by a car, head injury. Took it to the rehab place, they thought for sure it would die, but it didn't and was later released. Got to pet it.
 
sounds like a song.......

Who's that hooting in my tree,

it's got to be a quarter to three,

It's that Owl again,

and he's buggin me....
 
Great pix! I love hearing owls. Had the doors and windows open last night and heard two Great Horned Owls hooting at each other. Couldn't spot them as they were across the street in one of the neighbor's trees. I've also had screech owls in the back yard, but not this year yet or at least I haven't heard any
 
Great pix! I love hearing owls. Had the doors and windows open last night and heard two Great Horned Owls hooting at each other. Couldn't spot them as they were across the street in one of the neighbor's trees. I've also had screech owls in the back yard, but not this year yet or at least I haven't heard any

Speak of the devil, the screech owl just started calling about 5 minutes ago haha
 
They're back!

post_localowls_170908_01.jpg


The boy has been around for two weeks and hooting, the girl joined him today.


:)
 
Nice shots,I still have yet to get a GOOD owl shot.

GOD Bless

Chris
 
They sure do blend in against the trunk of that tree. I came up on an owl unexpectedly one time. It was daylight, and I guess it was sleeping in a shed. Anyhow, as I was walking by the shed, the startled owl flew, just missing my head. When he took off, he lightened the load he was packing, and a stream of white stuff just missed my nose by probably less than an inch. Sure got my attention.
 
the hooting is to draw in a mate and stake his hunting zone..i can speak owl well enough to call them to a tree nearby in my yard---learned to do it for turkey hunting
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom