What's new

Why $11/oz. silver is good for us all...

wharghoul

Full Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
As I type this silver is holding strong in the $15.70/oz. range.

I think this is a bad thing in my own selfish little world, for two reasons:

1) Higher silver prices will only bring more players to the CRH game.
(I know, I'm fairly new at this as well, started in Nov. of last year, so I realize that I'm being a bit hypocritical)

2) At some point, it will be cost effective enough for the collecting/wrapping services to start culling the silver...maybe not now, but would it be worth it for them to employ a small staff and a little technology when the price hits $25/oz.?

What do you guys think, higher silver prices, good or bad for CRH?
 
Upvote 0
I am truly amazed that this is not already implemented.

You could call it a pre-process culling department, and it would surley pay for itself.

Every 1/2 dollar Quarter and Dime would run through this department. And I imagine it would be a profitable department.

Just thankfull this hasn't happend here. But you got to think on a individual Facility basis that if Brinks had a department that did, It would certainly pay for itself.

Maybe I just scripted a job opportunity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:


Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
I am truly amazed that this is not already implemented.

You could call it a pre-process culling department, and it would surley pay for itself.

Every 1/2 dollar Quarter and Dime would run through this department. And I imagine it would be a profitable department.

Just thankfull this hasn't happend here. But you got to think on a individual Facility basis that if Brinks had a department that did, It would certainly pay for itself.

Maybe I just scripted a job opportunity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:


Mojo

It's been said before but in today's world with less and less silver out there, it's just not cost effective. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
coinmojo said:
I am truly amazed that this is not already implemented.

You could call it a pre-process culling department, and it would surley pay for itself.

Every 1/2 dollar Quarter and Dime would run through this department. And I imagine it would be a profitable department.

Just thankfull this hasn't happend here. But you got to think on a individual Facility basis that if Brinks had a department that did, It would certainly pay for itself.

Maybe I just scripted a job opportunity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:


Mojo


It would not be cost effective at all. The cost of an employee is greater than many believe. Hourly wage, benefits, insurance (work comp), 1/2 of the employee's FICA taxes, etc. Plus, most courier companies have several facilities across the country, so they would need many employees doing this. You think it is even possible for somebody to sit at a table sorting thru coins? The volume of coins each facility handles would be more than several CRHing employees could cover. It would also take time and get in the way of the sorting and rolling process. Also, they would need to hire someone to watch over the employees to make sure they are not stealing coins as they sift.

I would imagine that the couriers make a lot of revenue simply doing the job they do now. In my opinion they could care less about culling silver. If we call CRHed for the profits, I imagine most would be very dissappointed. It is the excitement of finding that keeps most doing this, not the profit.

The only possible way they could cull that could be remotely worthwhile would be to have a machine do it. But that is not taking place in most areas as people are still finding silver here and there in the boxes.

Jim
 
Like I said, it's probably not feasable at this point, but at $25/oz. it could be. In my mind, I'm not picturing some poor schmoe sitting at a table sorting silver....I picture it being more of an automated process with a guy/girl operating a big machine.
 
I got back into this hobby the first of 2008. Lots of finds for months. I still say that after time involved, gas costs, etc, for me, it's cheaper and easier to buy the silver. FFD
 
I got the inside scoop. The coins are never touched where they are rolled. The machines used to sort,count, roll, etc. costs hundreds of thousand dollars and will never be replaced with machines that can sort silver. It was not worth it when silver was 50 bucks an ounce, and it is certainly not worth it now.
 
wharghoul said:
As I type this silver is holding strong in the $15.70/oz. range.

I think this is a bad thing in my own selfish little world, for two reasons:

1) Higher silver prices will only bring more players to the CRH game.
(I know, I'm fairly new at this as well, started in Nov. of last year, so I realize that I'm being a bit hypocritical)

2) At some point, it will be cost effective enough for the collecting/wrapping services to start culling the silver...maybe not now, but would it be worth it for them to employ a small staff and a little technology when the price hits $25/oz.?

What do you guys think, higher silver prices, good or bad for CRH?



Overall, a higher price probably does cause more CRHers to join in. But I still want to see silver, and gold, rise because I have a large position in both (large in proportion to my asset allocation). My CRHing is almost nill now, so as far as that issue is concerned I am not really bothered.

But if gold and silver do go up real high, that probably means the dollar is toast and our economy in general is in the crapper, even worse than it already is.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
But if gold and silver do go up real high, that probably means the dollar is toast and our economy in general is in the crapper, even worse than it already is.

Jim
And that my friends is the real reason cheap gold and silver is a good thing. Get it while ya can. HH Mark
 
Rich Hartford said:
I got the inside scoop. The coins are never touched where they are rolled. The machines used to sort,count, roll, etc. costs hundreds of thousand dollars and will never be replaced with machines that can sort silver. It was not worth it when silver was 50 bucks an ounce, and it is certainly not worth it now.

It's always been my opinion that the courier companies don't sort out silver coinage, that's not they're business and I think they do well enough with the services they provide now
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom