Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HEY...let's all get along and smile a little OK?

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Hey, "Doctor", did you ever get down to the PB Shore Club in San Diego after I found that 1947 5 peso silver piece in Pacific Beach last year with my HH PI? I am sure you will remember, because you PM'd me about it, asking me to tell you where I found it...I am terribly disapointed you don't find my posts more exciting, but I think I will keep posting anyway. I find it a little suprising that you would try to glean information from a "boring" poster like myself...

Sorry to bore you guys even more, but I have to expand on this because it is sooo ironic...it was almost exactly a year ago (May 28th 2011, please go to my post of that date on this forum) that I got my third PI...a Detectorpro Headhunter Pulse. I had had the PI 1000 and the Sand Shark, which I had used on the beaches of San Diego religiously. I made lots of great finds with the Sand Shark and thought it was the cat's pajamas. (The PI 1000 is really too slow to use in the wet sand and very shallow water). The problem was, sometimes I would also use an Explorer with a WOT to cover the vast amount of sand in the area at low tides. I say this was a problem because it just became blatantly obvious to me that overall, I was finding more and deeper targets with my Explorer than I was with the Sand Shark. Believe me, I liked swinging the Sand Shark a hell of a lot more than the Explorer with the WOT!!! The latter is more like working than spending a relaxing evening at the beach, even with a "swingy thing". This was just counter to everything I had been told about a VLF vs. a PI in an area of high mineralization like San Diego. I could only run my Explorer at around 16 sensitivity, but it was still deeper than the Sand Shark. I had been using the Sand Shark for several years and really just did not want to believe what I was seeing. It took me months before I believed it. To futher complicate matters I did not yet know how to air test a PI and I did not yet understand the validity of the air test. I got an Excal. The results were the same. It was deeper than the Sand Shark. I sent the Shark to Tesoro and it came back with a clean bill of health. I then actually went to the beach and buried rings on strings in the wet sand and tested the detectors over them. It was a revelation. It was then that I determined to try another PI. I got the Headhunter Pulse. The very first time I used it, I went over sand I had just crushed with all my machines...it was right in front of the PB Shore Club in Pacific Beach, right by where I parked my car to start detecting every time I went there. The very first time I used the Headhunter, I came up with a very blackened 1947 5 Peso Silver coin. It wasn't much in terms of value, although it is almost an ounce of .900 fine silver. The amazing thing was that it was May in San Diego and we had not had any erosion to speak of all year...the beaches had been building for weeks and weeks. Yet up came this huge blackend silver coin on one of the most heavily detected beaches in San Diego. The coin was amazingly deep and had obviously been there for a very long time...I made a post about the machine and the coin on this forum almost exactly a year ago. A certain member PM'd me and asked me where I found the coin. And now it has come full circle. I know this post was really, really, really boring, but it does have the advantage of being the truth. Sorry if any of you feel your time has been wasted.

Last edited:

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I remember, Hobbits are small quiet folk with round faces, furry feet, who love to eat, drink, laugh and "do not like adventures". In fact it has been said that you can tell pretty much what a Hobbit is going to say without even asking. Perhaps he is quietly awaiting for the unexpected party with Gandalf and the dwarf's to lure him into an adventure in which he finds "the one ring".

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
As I remember, Hobbits are small quiet folk with round faces, furry feet, who love to eat, drink, laugh and "do not like adventures". In fact it has been said that you can tell pretty much what a Hobbit is going to say without even asking. Perhaps he is quietly awaiting for the unexpected party with Gandalf and the dwarf's to lure him into an adventure in which he finds "the one ring".

"Crack the dishes and crack the plates...
that's what Bilbo Baggins hates"...

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A box without hinges key or lid yet inside golden treasures are hid".
"Losst it, my precious is lost, lost".

Oh what a great story!! Still a fun read after all these years. If you have never heard Nichol Williamson's narration of the Hobbit you are missing a real treat. The BEST EVER!

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
"A box without hinges key or lid yet inside golden treasures are hid".
"Losst it, my precious is lost, lost".

Oh what a great story!! Still a fun read after all these years. If you have never heard Nichol Williamson's narration of the Hobbit you are missing a real treat. The BEST EVER!

Eggsses! !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ww.jpg

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
yes and no doubt wonka also said "how can empty vessels make the most sound when the ones that are so full of it are louder?"

I agree. Tesoro homers are quite obviously the loudest posters on this forum and clearly are full of the substance you mention. Always personal attacks rather than facts. Just upgrade and you won't have to cry so loudly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning.....Verbal attacks on members will earn offenders a vacation..

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With due respect, Moderator, is not this whole topic including its title themed around a personal attack on one individual?

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
With due respect, Moderator, is not this whole topic including its title themed around a personal attack on one individual?
The really cool thing is that the original poster already looks so foolish because he was PMing me for advice on where to detect a year ago. He must have been REALLY bored.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, and it will be deleted this evening, want to be sure warning message is seen.

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My apologies...

I wanted to provoke a few smiles.

I respect everyone. It is just a little difficult to understand why a continuing theme on the "Sand Shark's lack of depth" needs to be posted in various guises and endlessly debated. I understand Hobbit has an opinion on the Sand Shark's depth..so do I...so does Terry. They are all opinions (in spite of attempts at quantification).

The title of this thread was an attempt at sarcasm of Hobbit's Titles: "Why is the Tesoro Sand Shark the shallowest PI metal detector on the market?", "Is the Sand Shark really this insensitive to small gold?"

I'm really NOT trying to belittle Hobbit's (or anyone else's) opinion. It's just that I've heard it enough now where I understand what it is.

Hobbit...can we be friends?

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to go with the lack of paragraph returns.

Past that? idk? Isn't everyone here one kind of nerd...or another kind? I know that I am.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, i knew it was posted more for humor than being serious that is why i didnt say anything. The warning is because the same people seem to be always in a flame war insulting each other , the war started on another website and has moved to TN and it is going to end here or vacations will be given to those who continue to break TN rules.

I have been told to handle things the way i see fit , that I have their full support..

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
My apologies...

I wanted to provoke a few smiles.i

I respect everyone. It is just a little difficult to understand why a continuing theme on the "Sand Shark's lack of depth" needs to be posted in various guises and endlessly debated. I understand Hobbit has an opinion on the Sand Shark's depth..so do I...so does Terry. They are all opinions (in spite of attempts at quantification).

The title of this thread was an attempt at sarcasm of Hobbit's Titles: "Why is the Tesoro Sand Shark the shallowest PI metal detector on the market?", "Is the Sand Shark really this insensitive to small gold?"

I'm really NOT trying to belittle Hobbit's (or anyone else's) opinion. It's just that I've heard it enough now where I understand what it is.
Sure

Hobbit...can we be friends?

Sure, Joe. I thought it was kind of funny myself. I don't see a need for it to be deleted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread