Why buy.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
image.jpg image.jpg ive been looking at dirt for about 14 years now and while this isn't all that I have found on one site, it is the brunt of it. I do have quite a bit to add from this last year. Anyway the wood frame has the best of the stuff, and while it is priceless to me, to most it would merely be interesting maybe. I like to buy because I would like a collection with somewhat of a wow factor. Nobody can hunt where the majority of the good stuff was found.

In recent years the government has been covering the sites along the mighty mo here in South Dakota (Probably north too) with truckload after truckload of huge boulders to keep them from being hunted, (you still can pick up a arrowhead off the surface according to the law). So, in a nut shell, the good stuff that was picked up by the bucket load back when it was legal, is all that is really left out there to get from the best hunting places we had.

imagejpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice site assemblage! Some only hunt, some only buy, some do both. I'm in the latter group myself.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice site assemblage! Some only hunt, some only buy, some do both. I'm in the latter group myself.

Thanks Charl!

I have three sites I have assembled things from. That was the stuff from the most productive site. You are in with a good group.: - )

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
98% of my collection is personal finds. Rarely purchase. I just recently purchased a point for $20. It is a nice piece but nothing special. Why did I buy it? Because it came from a location not to far from me off of a documented site that I have yet to get permission for and have always wished to walk. Have bought a few from friends too.

ps: nice collection!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in what ever makes you happy.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look a lot and buy once in a while usually whole collections not pieces. If the price is right and they pass the loop test I wait for them to make the 1st offer if it sounds fair its mine.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that completely.

But there are others with a different perspective or two.

To each their own. Doesn't matter what others like what matters is what you like.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It's the old "your collection HAS to be tainted if you didn't find it all, since there is so much fakery out there" thing.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing wrong with buying as long as you buy things you know about. I try to buy local piece whenever possible because I know the types and the materials they should be. I have found some incredible deals at our local Flea Market and I can't wait until they open back up.

I did have to buy a few pieces for my States Collection I put together and took a chance in doing so, but I was lucky and got good pieces from everyone. Most of who I bought from were from here or Arrowheadology so I trusted them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some collectors that have collections that only buy then others that wont buy just hunt for them. Then people like me that will buy once in a while but hunt a lot. Most of the best looking pieces have already been picked up that are on the surface. Every once in a while I find a real nice one but it isn't often. So to each their own. I only buy collections from my area that I can see and hold. Sometimes collectors will pass on and their spouses don't know what to do with all of them rocks. If I get a call I will go have a look. If they want to let go of them for a reasonable price I will take them so they don't end up in the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread