What's new

Why do you treasure hunt? How? and Why?

chukers

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
1,824
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make it a poll but I'd rather have more interaction... and if this has been done before I apologize for stealing someone's idea.

Don't be bashful or embarrassed we all understand why we are here and why we do what we do. SPEAK UP!

First of all I Treasure hunt several ways...

1. I use a metal detector in the traditional way.
2. I go to Yard/Garage/Estate Sales.
3. I scrap... it kinda goes hand in hand with the other reasons.
4. I don't "dumpster dive" but I have been known to pick things up off the curb
5. I do CRH on occasion (takes money to make money as I have always known)

As for why... for me its several reasons...

#1 for the knowledge of things from the past & places no one knows about any longer... soon places/home/businesses in my area (and yours) will be lost to faded memories... people today don't care to remember what used to be they only care about now.

#2 I do it for the thrill of the hunt
#3 Profit... not really to make money or get rich (but if that happens I'd take it) its to pay for my treasure hunting adventures!
#4 to gain knowledge of the past through the things I find.


Chukers
 
DITTO


Not much I can ad to that. :icon_thumright:
 
“There's gold, and it's haunting and haunting;
It's luring me on as of old;
Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
so much as just finding the gold.
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.”
― Robert W. Service
 
no one is interested in this subject? wow its not like I am asking for your hunting grounds... The reason I posted this is because it might help someone one with ideas on how to feed their treasure hunting addiction!

Chukers
 
OK i do like to hunt ..... It is fun......... But i do it to find Silver & Gold & Jewelry to sell. If i find something old and it is worth something i sell it......... If it is not worth any thing i scrap it.......... Like i said i don't collect i am not a collector...... Things setting around to just look at just clutter up my space and are worth more in my bank account..............
 
I've done some dumpster diving with great success. My real forte is bottle diggin. A good bottle dump or pit will pay off a thousand times better than metal detecting. If I have a hot spot bottle dump, I spend all my time digging it. If I have a hot spot coin spot, I spend all my time digging it. If I find a yard sale on my way to said hot spot, I hit it. Treasure is fickle.
 
Keppy said:
OK i do like to hunt ..... It is fun......... But i do it to find Silver & Gold & Jewelry to sell. If i find something old and it is worth something i sell it......... If it is not worth any thing i scrap it.......... Like i said i don't collect i am not a collector...... Things setting around to just look at just clutter up my space and are worth more in my bank account..............


I've got a 5 gallon buck of brass and 5 gallon bucket of copper I've dug up... saving it for when the price goes back up. Man they are heavy!

Chukers
 
gleaner1 said:
I've done some dumpster diving with great success. My real forte is bottle diggin. A good bottle dump or pit will pay off a thousand times better than metal detecting. If I have a hot spot bottle dump, I spend all my time digging it. If I have a hot spot coin spot, I spend all my time digging it. If I find a yard sale on my way to said hot spot, I hit it. Treasure is fickle.


it is! isn't it!
 
To me, it's such a stress reliever from the extreme pressure of my career. I can zone off and separate into a focused zeroed in little world, breathe fresh air, and find peace and contentment in the hum of the threshold and listening for those sharp hard beeps. Plus, it's thrilling to me, to hold in my hands, a piece of history that was lost but now found. The older the better!
 
It's like the old prospector in the western movies looking for that big gold strike , as soon as he finds it he moves on to find the next big strike.

Jonnie
 
I do it for the exercise and the thrill of the hunt. Digging up lost targets that would have remained buried and wasted otherwise is a fun part of the hobby as well as thinking about who lost it, when it was lost, and the circumstances that led to it being lost.
 
K Chuck, as sick as this world is today....its better than watching the sin on tv or quite frankly any other hobby I've ever had. Of course unless it's an old good black & white movie...might have to toss a dime. For me its very peaceful & a stress reliever...& also the thrill of never knowing what you will find. And my passion is relic finds even though I've not been successful. But even being where I know so much history played out, & existed back in the old days gives me a sense of wholesomeness.kind of makes me sad too sometimes. Only thing people could find from this generation 100 yrs from now is junk, fake gold chains, & nothing but pure junk. So take advantage of it now, & appreciate!
 
I will post a forty year pic spread of my greatest hits soon. After that, you will all decide to quit treasure huntin.
 
Gleaner....quit.....don't feel like the negativity crap.
 
okdiggermark said:
To me, it's such a stress reliever from the extreme pressure of my career. I can zone off and separate into a focused zeroed in little world, breathe fresh air, and find peace and contentment in the hum of the threshold and listening for those sharp hard beeps. Plus, it's thrilling to me, to hold in my hands, a piece of history that was lost but now found. The older the better!

This is so true!
 
iCandy said:
K Chuck, as sick as this world is today....its better than watching the sin on tv or quite frankly any other hobby I've ever had. Of course unless it's an old good black & white movie...might have to toss a dime. For me its very peaceful & a stress reliever...& also the thrill of never knowing what you will find. And my passion is relic finds even though I've not been successful. But even being where I know so much history played out, & existed back in the old days gives me a sense of wholesomeness.kind of makes me sad too sometimes. Only thing people could find from this generation 100 yrs from now is junk, fake gold chains, & nothing but pure junk. So take advantage of it now, & appreciate!


I too think of the treasure hunters of the future... I think what will they find that is worth having... not much we lose more than we ever have... but compared to stuff 100+ years ago our stuff is just junk. it is sad.
 
gleaner1 said:
I will post a forty year pic spread of my greatest hits soon. After that, you will all decide to quit treasure huntin.

Please explain..........
 
There is solitude in grabbing my shovel and hitting the woods,leaving the un-sane world BEHIND to grovel in their self made miseries,as I, thoroughly enjoy the Thrill of The Hunt,never knowing what will be unearthed. To bad world!!! God Bless HH Chris
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom