What's new

Why do you treasure hunt? How? and Why?

gleaner1 said:
Why? To find treasure. How? The best way. Why? To find treasure.
Got right to the point .. No BS .. I like that .. :icon_thumright:
 
I am cursed by the gods of treasure hunting to wander the earth with a coil in hand. It's the penance for the ultimate TH'ing sin, committed by me in my youth as a snorkeler in the gravle pits. Oh yeah, had a few nice finds, a few moments of brilliance (missed by you all of course) and a lot of fun.

But yeah, still paying back the gods of treasure hunting for my sin.
 
gleaner1 said:
I will post a forty year pic spread of my greatest hits soon. After that, you will all decide to quit treasure huntin.

40 years of stuff? from treasure hunting? I know what that will tell me... LOL
 
I was blessed or cursed to have had an old time treasure hunter in the family. Uncle Hi, in search of outlaw gold in the Wichitas. He had a lot of info that he did not share with you that I don't know how he came by it. That did create a little spark in me. My family came out of the Indian Nations of Oklahoma, and were familiar with the Daltons', Youngers', and James' gangs. My grandpa was born across the river from Younger's Bend in the Choctaw Nation and they knew Belle Starr. The most impressive thing they remembered about her was that horse she rode would walk across a railroad trestle, and knew to step on every tie. All the old people in my family got religion in their later years and wouldn't tell you a whole lot about the old days in the Nations. They thought treasure hunters were feckless lazy people who should get a job, but I did hear quite a few legends at a young age. I metal detect. All my finds go into a big jar, of which I have several. I'm not in it for the money, although there was a rough time when I metal detected for enough change to buy a cup of coffee and a newspaper every day, and always hit that goal. If I ever hit the big one, say found a chest full of gold coins, I'm afraid I'm the type of guy that would just keep it, never sell it, and when y'all came over I would bring it out and say 'Cool, y'all wanna see what I found?!'.
 
I just noticed this thread and decided to chime in.

I'm a firm believer that treasure is where you find it, whether it be digging in an old dump, a brand new dumpster, behind the walls of houses I work on, or with my detector. I love flea markets and swap meets, and yard sales. I guess the thing for me is that I never know what I might find, but I know I'll always find something and sometimes it's something great.

When I do find something there's a real satisfaction in knowing that if it weren't for me and my desire to poke around, that item may have been lost or stayed lost forever. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and my grandfather who I spent many long hours with, digging bottles from the river bank, prowling old buildings, and who introduced me to metal detectors is partly to blame. He loved finding things even more than I do if that's possible.
 
I think we all though we would get rich and some may. but the thrill of treasue hunting is kind cool don't you think and not knowing what you will find and man is it just FUN . :blob7: :blob7:
 
Why do I treasure hunt...hummm

I guess what got me interested was my father. He was not a treasure hunter but loved to read and would always tell me different stories of treasure and adventures. He loved his westerns too...I have a huge box of Louie L'Amour books that I will never sell and if I ever get some spare time will read from cover to cover.

I was never one to just read about something so as a kid I would explore the woods. Look for lost items or things I could make into something else. I was the kid that had the bike with shocks, disc brakes, gear shifts and an Army jeep steering wheel.

Fast forward to adult hood. I purchased a detector in my twenties but was still too busy with the single life style to use it much. It was not until I got married in my thirties that I really started detecting. I have never sold anything that I have found although I've given quite a bit away. Not to say that if a find came under my coil that was super valuable that it would not go to auction. I have also given some historical finds to museums. It is a great feeling to add something to the historical record and the kids get a kick out of seeing daddy's name on a plaque in the museum. Metal detecting is definitely my main form of treasure hunting.

I've also: CRHed, looked for fossils, searched garage sales, estate sales and the such, beachcombed, check coin return slots, look through my pocket change and my wife's.

I want to try: hunting for meteorites, gold panning, bottle hunting, rockhounding and look for Megladon teeth.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff since I'm always adding to my wish list but that is all I can think of right now.

NJ
 
I do all the above... Md, Garbage pick, CRH, buy sell junk
I also Raid The Casino...
People leave money in the machines I cash it out.....
3 hours in the last 3 days = $89.61 had $99.61 but lost $10.00 in the slot machine.

I do it for the thrill and to help pay the bills
 
$ Casino Raider Bob $ said:
I do all the above... Md, Garbage pick, CRH, buy sell junk
I also Raid The Casino...
People leave money in the machines I cash it out.....
3 hours in the last 3 days = $89.61 had $99.61 but lost $10.00 in the slot machine.

I do it for the thrill and to help pay the bills

I was in a Casino out in Arizona...sat down at a poker machine and discovered it had $67 dollars in it. I wait a few minutes to see if anyone would come back to claim it but when nobody did...cha ching...just that much closer to being a millionaire which now a days is not that much...lol.

NJ
 
chukers said:
gleaner1 said:
I will post a forty year pic spread of my greatest hits soon. After that, you will all decide to quit treasure huntin.

40 years of stuff? from treasure hunting? I know what that will tell me... LOL

Yup chuckers, I'm getting old, almost fifty, started diggin bottles at age seven, got forty years experience on that. I have a ton of carefully wrapped and boxed bottles. Lots of cool stuff, baked enamel signs, crocks, jugs, crazy stuff. I have been tectin twenty years, never found a real good rare coin, but a lot of oldies and over three hundred silvers. Been hittin flea markets, garage sales, antique shows and estate sales for thirty years. Someday I will post a spread of some of my greatest hits. Just hard to find the time or energy.
 
WOW I am impress with your posts... it brings back memories of the things I did when I was younger... like the casino stuff... I once found $65 in $5 coins in the tray... this was before digital slots... and I was happy to get it... I was up there for a week and on day two I was out of money and needed to eat! LOL ahhh being young dumb and stupid! those were the days!

Chukers
 
When I grow up Im gonna be just like chukers!....LOL .......nice post buddy!
 
kayden said:
When I grow up Im gonna be just like chukers!....LOL .......nice post buddy!


woo hoo! LOL


Thanks!
 
gleaner1 said:
iCandy said:
Gleaner....quit.....don't feel like the negativity crap.

Please do not address me. Try to address the post, it works great!!!
LOL ....OOOOOOOOOOOOO ..you2!
 
To stand in the woods, at the foot of an old foundation is one thing. To be where someone has been 50, 100 150 years ago is a history lesson in itself. But then, my mind start thinking - here's the sidewalk or boardwalk. There's the edge, and into the dirt, like an old coin or button. Behind the foundation is the privet. Old bottles? Tins? what about inside the foundation, what about a cache? Or, out by the cistern? what was hidden there? What was DROPPED there, out of an apron while water was being fetched? Perhaps a gold locket broke loose and fell into the grass...

I guess there's the hunt for history, for me. Granted, I haven't found much, but even when I walk down the side walk in town, I still find my brain trying to NCIS it, to determine the best chance of finding something. It's very meditative, being outside by ones self and just going over things in your mind. It's a kind of work out for your brain. Admittedly however, I panned a little gold in streams in ID and never knew if I was going to come back to reality only to look up into the face of a bear or catch a bullet in the back of the skull. I did not enjoy that as much as I could or should have. Perhaps with a clear conscience and/or a clear title to my own claim, I will!
 
I readstories of pirates and treasure.seen Wallace berry movies and listened to the stories of treasures my grandfather heard from his father who was a miner in Arizona.I bought a two-box did my research and forever after roamed the Arizona mountainsjust me and my two-box.
 
Gosh, sorry about those of you that have to get the scraps at the casino......I don't! I am the master of black jack baby!! I can't stand the vulchers that look over my shoulder as I'm playing the table or slots. Throw them a little bird feed here & there & they'll think you're their hero & keep em away for awhile.
 
iCandy said:
Gosh, sorry about those of you that have to get the scraps at the casino......I don't! I am the master of black jack baby!! I can't stand the vulchers that look over my shoulder as I'm playing the table or slots. Throw them a little bird feed here & there & they'll think you're their hero & keep em away for awhile.


I think you missed the point... its just another aspect of treasure hunting... my ordeal was a one time thing many many years ago.
 
iCandy said:
Gosh, sorry about those of you that have to get the scraps at the casino......I don't! I am the master of black jack baby!! I can't stand the vulchers that look over my shoulder as I'm playing the table or slots. Throw them a little bird feed here & there & they'll think you're their hero & keep em away for awhile.

I love the scraps at $120-$140 a week... FREE no money out of my pocket no chance of losing any money

No wonder why you have had trouble on this site... Maybe the mods should boot you off.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom