Why does excl detect deeper in water than in the air ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignore the air test. When is last time you saw a gold ring floating in the air.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oxidation in the ground not in the air.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oxidation in the ground not in the air.

Yaaaha..........No!!.....(SP?)..... Oxygenation happens everywhere!! Other wise known as rust...!!?? Gold won't rust!! Unless it is really cheap gold (G Plated) or maybe 8K gold! Or if the gold has been sitting on rust for some time!! Halo effect on gold and plat I don't think so!! Excal just rocks.

SnT

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very difficult to tell depth in the water.... miss a target the first time and it appears to have been down there 15 inches or more. MLs dont air test well and are one of the few machines that seem to get better depth in the dirt than air. Could be there is a factory setting if they cant compensate.... much like the DFX when they cant GB in the sand.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing is true of my CZ-21. "Usually" hunts deeper then an air test. You may also notice water temp/sand temp, having an effect on performance. Strong, fast moving currents can also effect performance. Nothing like actually testing a machine in the hunting field, there are so many factors that can effect the way it performs.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with all of the above, air test are only good for one thing....HeadPhone quality testing. Interesing is the difference between one Xcalibur to the next, and these numbers can change once in the field.

Attachments

• DSC_9489.jpg
    DSC_9489.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 109

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the quality of the components inside the detectors, not all are created equal even in the same model or brand. Add to this the locations from each poster and comparisons can't be made. Not all beaches have the same salt content nor black sand either and this can change within a few feet. Bigscoop brought up a good point in the water temp, sand temp and currents having an effect on preformance as all these come into play.

The only gold standard is that your girl friend or wife is out buying shoes when your enjoying time away from all the chores she thinks up for you to do.:laughing7:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT and Excal are both very deep when the target is under wet sand than test air.
In other hand so if you put one ring in under sand, give no good result.
I found gold ring 15 g with Sov GT. The deep is beteween 40 and 50 cm.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe that nobody mentioned soil conductivity?

You get better depth in wet soil than in dry.
Why? Water is a better transfer agent for electronic signal.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You get better depth in wet soil than in dry.
Why? Water is a better transfer agent for electronic signal.
Wetsand yes, but once the xcalibur starts hitting the deeper Saltwater, she starts falling on her face. That's why Pi's rule the deep saltwater. Now in fresh water there seems to be no issues as far as loss of depth on the further you go out.
BigScoop is correct........
I had noticed a few years ago how saltwater temp and salinity really affect performance, warm weather less senstivity needed, cold the more senstivity needed. And I'm guessing this is a combo effect because salinity changes some between summer beach's and winter.
Bigscoop is also correct on current affecting depth and causing falsing.
Electric fields exist whenever a positive or negative electrical charge is present. Sodium chloride (salt) is an ion. An Ion is simple a molecule with a electrical charge, Water ruptures the bond, giving you Sodium n chloride, giving you both positive n negative charges
Magnetic fields arise from the motion of electric charges. Waves, currents, motion of salt water.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also noticed that swift currents and/or turbulent saltwater can simply overload the processor's ability to absorb the rapidly changing information. Smaller coils can help to reduce many of these various issues and in some cases they can even offer you more stability and depth with higher sensitivity settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread