What's new

Why give up MD in the winter?

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I hear people talk about putting their detectors in storage during the winter. Why would you do that?

The weeds and brush in the woods will be dead and down, and the snow will make easy digging in the dirt when it melts. Does everyone stop in the winter? I won't!
 
Who said that?
If the ground ain't hard as concrete and we're not in the middle of a blizzard, I'll be scouting and detecting. That's why I have my insulated hiking boots, gloves, hat....

I Tried the Allegheny Plateau area with a foot and a half of snow a couple years ago....that was fun. Didn't find squat but a beer can about a foot deep, but it was beautiful and invigorating.

Al
 
if the ground doesnt freeze solid i will detect all winter long. usually around here late winter means 4 inches of solid ice though and that will end my season every time.
 
I got out all year long..in the woods and at the beaches and after storms too at the beaches.. foot warmers, hand warmers.. man I got it all covered... :thumbsup:
 
i have a hard time getting signals through the 5 ft of snow, then you have the 4ft frost line
 
Where I'm at, we have a "Meditteranean" climate. It rarely goes below 40, and rarely gets above 90. So I never even KNEW the meaning of "frozen ground" till one time ........ on a trip to the high mountains during the winter, I decided to go metal detecting! Doh! I spotted a park in an oldtown district, and saw that the snow wasn't entirely covering all the ground (some patches of grass had been sheltered by trees or whatever. I thought "easy enough!" But I soon discovered that ground freezes solid! Took me 30 minutes to retrieve a merc and never repeated that again!
 
Depends on where you live. Most of the south and midwest can be hunted year around. But the northern climes make it impossible due to frozen ground and precipitation. I hunt year around here in Oklahoma except when it comes a cold snap that might last for several days. My limit is about 40 degrees. When it gets to 40 or below I am too uncomfortable to hunt, especially if there is a brisk wind. My fingers and face tend to get too cold and it takes all the fun out of it. Otherwise you might see me out any day during the winter. Even during the coldest months, January and February we might have some 70+ degree days and then it's perfect. :icon_sunny: Monty
 
The ground freezes and you can't dig it. Here in New England, that usually lasts about 3 to 4 months most winters.
 
Thompy said:
i have a hard time getting signals through the 5 ft of snow, then you have the 4ft frost line
I agree with you Thompy. Last year we had a total of 99 inches of snow for the winter. Not counting the frozen ground underneath it. January & February the ice fishermen can dig the holes in the frozen lakes. I will sit by my fireplace and watch the snow fall, so I can go out and snowblow more of the white stuff. Shane :wink:
 
shane thats about what we got last year, 2 hours to the north, where im from they get 200 in, but 3 of the last 4 years up there we were in the 300 range, got to love the lake effect snows, you get allot of snowmobilling in with those snow totals
 
Hey Thompy,
I am with you. I am a troll, but not far enough South to be able to swing a coil while up to my waist in snow!
HH
Mark
 
Nope, my relatives and I hunt ALL year! In February 2006, we detected in a -7 F windchill, and with the doyt as hard as concrete. My uncle chiseled out a 1794 thick Liberty Cap large cent and Draped Bust largie. On average, it took him 30 minutes to chisel out 5 inches of doyt. :D

We'll be doing it again this winter!

Kyle
 
I quit when the ground is frozen. Usally sometime in Dec it starts-then start again when ground thaws,but I have hunted in January,february, before. I can take the cold, but my machine doesnt like 0 degrees. One other thing is I hate chopping through frozen ground -for 10 minutes just to dig a new penny up! ;D
 
Jazdo said:
I quit when the ground is frozen. Usally sometime in Dec it starts-then start again when ground thaws,but I have hunted in January,february, before. I can take the cold, but my machine doesnt like 0 degrees. One other thing is I hate chopping through frozen ground -for 10 minutes just to dig a new penny up! ;D

But, for an antique pull tab it is well worth it!
Mark
 
Ah ok didn't think about frozen ice. I guess it does depends if you are in the north or south.
 
I like treasure hunting in warmer weather, but when it comes to deer hunting, it just doesn't feel right without the cold.
 
I hunted in sleet last year. Hunted until the ground froze. Only missed about three weeks of detecting during the whole year last year due to weather.

I like hunting in the cold.
 
mastereagle22 said:
I hunted in sleet last year. Hunted until the ground froze. Only missed about three weeks of detecting during the whole year last year due to weather.

I like hunting in the cold.
Cold is no problem up here in Wisconsin. It is the 6 to 10 foot snow drifts that give us a little trouble.. Only good thing about winter up here,you have the whole Lake Michigan beach front to yourself. Not to many nuts taking a dip in the lake or trying to get a sun tan laying on the beach..May see a few brave harted fisherman but thats about it. At least we do not have to worry about the waves getting our feet wet, cuz its all ice LOL.. Wish I could MD all year round. Hate to put the machine away for a few months. But it gives me a chance to clean up all my clad's and dream about all the gold rings I will find in spring LOL Shane ;D
 
Last winter we had the most snow here ever since they started keeping records in the mid-1850's.
The frost line goes down to 42 inches here.
Sometimes the ground is frozen down that deep here.
 
You guys are whacked .Given the first 2 years i had md'tr I didn't want to give up....when the leafs get crispy I'm in the local history books, call me a wus but .sometimes it's nice dreamin about spring when the grass is all flat in the fields. And ,well call me a wus..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom