Why not a "Political" and "Religion" forum?

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not a "Political" and "Religion" forum?

One of the nice things about Tnet, imo, is that you can indeed spend so much time here perusing the many categories that cover almost every aspect of life. Treasure hunting topics, in all its forms, can indeed be found in political and religious situations...so the question arises...

Why don't we have political and religious forums here?

I recently had a topic deleted by a moderator that was considered "too political and religious"...hope I am quoting her correctly but something to that effect. I thought it looked like many of the other posts found in the "Everything Else" category but she obviously disagreed.

Vigorous discussions are the lifeblood of any site...if a site doesn't have areas where the blood can get pumping a bit...it might get boring...

Was the "Pub" where that stuff used to be posted? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
TheRandyMan

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why not a "Political" and "Religion" forum?

Went and got her PM response to my question as to why my post was deleted...did not want to misquote her...

Re: Why did you delete my Delta topic?
« Sent to:TheRandyMan on: June 23, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote Reply To This TopicReply To This Topic Save PMSave PM Remove this messageRemove
Sorry but it had political and religious undertones and was just going to open a can of worms.

I have seen more than a few worm cans opened on this forum...some of them really stank bad too :icon_sunny:

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

There was a Political Forum here a couple of years ago. There was one prolific poster that never missed an opportunity to start some "poo". It looked like the management saw it as a revenue opportunity since they made a slight change. One had to be a "paying" member to access the Political Forum.Since the Political Forum was stopped, many of the regular contributors to it have disappeared. I did a search on the "most prolific" person mentioned earlier and found that out of 400 posts the last 200 were Political. At that point I quit looking since I saw a trend. The real downside to a Political Forum is that you attract a lot of democrats and that's NEVER good.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

There are too many thin-skinned people in the world and those 2 topics almost always end up in an ugly exchange. The mod's would have to spend way too much time policing them and the rest of the forum would suffer. I really don't miss them a bit, I come here to see what people find not read about what they think about politics or religion.

HH Charlie

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree RandyMan but... Marc, the owner of this forum deemed it illegal to have free thought in matters of religion and politics on his forum, because in his own words he says- "In an effort to get the conversation back onto the topic of treasure hunting and metal detecting, we have removed the Politics and Religion forums."

So it shall be. We can talk about all other types of nonsense like what we had for dinner last night or who are favorite lead guitar player is, or heck he's even got boards for Pirate talk (Argh Matey), funny signs and ads, Global Warming, Games and Contests and get this one, there's even a board for... "Nonsense". So yes with boards like these we are sure to "get the conversation back onto the topic of treasure hunting and metal detecting"

Gimme a break Marc, This is the real world, where politics and religion are real topics, moreso than some of the other worthless boards on this forum that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with "treasure hunting and metal detecting" pr real life for that matter. It was for charter members only anyway, which was good. If people act up then ban them after a warning or 2, don't ban the board. Would you blow up an entire ship because it had one of Americas Most Wanted on it? I don't think so. The same applies here, think about it. I can send you to several posts that have political statements in them, does that mean they should be removed? No, because in the real world these topics are a part of real life. They exist and always will. But then I forget...we are on an internet forum that only exists is cyberspace so nothing on here is real. I'm done.

savant365 said:
There are too many thin-skinned people in the world and those 2 topics almost always end up in an ugly exchange. The mod's would have to spend way too much time policing them and the rest of the forum would suffer. I really don't miss them a bit, I come here to see what people find not read about what they think about politics or religion.

HH Charlie
I disagree respectfully.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Hey Diggumup, no problem :thumbsup: you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I remember when I joined the site a few years ago it seemed like there was always issues with the rubber room. I wasn't one of the thin skinned ones but some of the discussions did get a little heated.

HH Charlie

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

savant365 said:
There are too many thin-skinned people in the world and those 2 topics almost always end up in an ugly exchange. The mod's would have to spend way too much time policing them and the rest of the forum would suffer.
Roflmbo! :laughing7:
Amen, uh oh, sorry.......... :laughing7:

Many good ppl here, much love too, kindness, respect, but..........
I've watched all that go downhill in a hand-basket too! always cracks me up!

Marc, jeff need to run add says, Daycare workers needed, able to put skirts on all,
and time them out! so sorry........yeah rubber room director, sorry LOL! :laughing7:
I see where the trains run off the tracks, resulting in error. Not my judgment call though,
imo, this is Marcs' baby, I get no kickbacks for my opinion.

Kudos to those, that have good, positive exchanges, and promote good for all.
We're all better for that! Truly. :angel8:

For those that can't totally get a grip, uh, we'll pray for ya,(uh oh again),
Ya either helping or hindering, pick and choose your battles, carefully. :laughing7:
All said with love, and too much caffiene! :hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc got tired of the nasty name calling and complaints about the tone and hate in some of the posts in the pub and closed it. I know he contemplated putting a mod over the Pub and decided it was better to close it….

TreasureNet is Marc's house and he decided he didn't want the hate and trouble caused by the Pub in his "house" any longer which is his right, just as it is any member's right here to decide what is allowed in their own house.....

If two visitors are visiting my home and get into a nasty political argument involving hate and name calling in my home, I have the right to tell them to leave, and it has nothing to do with "free speech"....

The TreasureNet website has had no problem surviving the closing of the "Pub".
Charter membership has increased by 25 new charter members since the pub was closed.
General membership of TN has increased by 1181 members since the day the pub was closed and the membership trend is still up…

There are plenty of political websites members can go to and post their political comments and feelings and keep the hate off of Treasurenet....

OP
OP
TheRandyMan

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All my questions have been answered!

Thanks everyone!

:notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread