Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut parks do not charge seniors from using state parks, but they do not sell permits, but only allow everybody to search the beaches only. Not right, Connecticut has a state income tax, and we should allow to search land. If you want to visit our parks, look out for geese and ducks poop. It is here and there and everywhere. Hold your nose, and watch where you step.

Last edited:
OP
OP
patiodadio

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not full of baloney, they sell quite a few of them. I'm local to Cave Run, I know of a handful of folks just from around here that buy them. I'll try to get down there November 1st and snap a picture. But trust me on this, that beach gets hit all summer long. Back in the late 90's, the Camp Grounds were maintained by civilian contractors and they crawled all over the beach after closing time. I was a volunteer for a summer, didn't have an interest in detecting back then or I could and would have joined them.
I think I would rather buy $63 worth of lotto tickets :laughing7:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. You hit the nail on the head (although I dunno about the dollar values you ascribe, haha) . It's the archie mindset, and those rangers have merely been brainwashed in that way of thinking.

Arrrgh the "AntiquiSearchers"!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Some person(s) was detecting a civil war battlefield & found 6 common bullets with a retail value of only $3, but they said the archaeological value was $18,000. Then I think they may have had car & detectors taken & forced to pay several thousands of dollars for huge ads in regional newspapers that said turn in metal detector users that are stealing our priceless one of a kind national treasures that belong to all of us

News to me. Can you cite your source for that figure?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some person(s) was detecting a civil war battlefield & found 6 common bullets with a retail value of only $3, but they said the archaeological value was $18,000. Then I think they may have had car & detectors taken & forced to pay several thousands of dollars for huge ads in regional newspapers that said turn in metal detector users that are stealing our priceless one of a kind national treasures that belong to all of us

George, I'm willing to bet that whomever it was that this befell, "could have known better". I mean, for pete's sake, was it an "obvious historic sensitive monument" ? And detecting during an archaeologist convention waltzing over their beach blankets ?

Such outcomes as this are going to be certainly rare. Whenever you hear of fines, tickets, etc.... it's usually someone who either couldn't take a warning, or someone night-sneaking an obvious off-limits place, or someone who ..... with a simple 3 minutes with google could have immediately known that Shiloh or Bodie or Ghettysburg is not a wise idea to go waltzing about with a metal detector.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are probably getting Hostile Remarks from detectorists
when they say " $63 for the permit and you can only MD on the beach after Nov. 1st and no where else. "
so every time they meet another detectorist they Mentally Duck expecting a verbal attack
Maybe that is the rule or the law, and the people asking for the money have no choice but to charge money for permits. I be outrage and very upset, but I would not take it out on the staff. You need to complain to our congress members, now, do not wait. I live in Connecticut.
Power the the people who complains.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used