patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to check out the beach at Cave Run Lake, you have to go thru the camping area to get there. I pulled up to the check in station, a fellow opened the window and gave me a big smile. I smiled back and said howdy. I asked where the beach was and he said the beach is closed for the season. I said I hoped I could metal detect the beach, since it was now closed and the lake is low at winter pool. The smile left him and he said "No metal detecting" ! I said I had read on the internet where you could MD on the beach. He said yes, only after Nov. 1st and only with a permit. I asked where I could get a permit and he said the Corp of Engineers office. I said thanks and he said "You can turn around there" pointing to the U turn place. Sheesh ! What a sour puss I thought. I went to the Corp office and talked to some woman who was smiling and nice until I asked about metal detecting. She said "No metal detecting" ! I told her the guy at the camp ground told me to come here for a permit. She said ok, $63 for the permit and you can only MD on the beach after Nov. 1st and no where else. I said no thanks and left.
Why do these people act so hostile toward metal detecting ? They were nice until I asked about MD ing. What's the deal ?

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they're detectorists themselves and don't like the competition :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are probably getting Hostile Remarks from detectorists
when they say " $63 for the permit and you can only MD on the beach after Nov. 1st and no where else. "
so every time they meet another detectorist they Mentally Duck expecting a verbal attack

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh at $63 a shot... You would think they would allow detecting year round...
Talk about making some money.
Guess they only like money part of the year there.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to detect a COE beach in IA and did not pay anything nor have to have a permit to detect. Just had to get a day pass at the gate--which was free because of my lifetime US Park Pass. Looks like someone was running a typical government employee scam.
I did get a ticket one day for forgetting to put the pass on the dash, so ranger could see I was in there legally.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Professional archaeologists get something like $3,000 for each thing they dig up, so we cost them thousands of dollars every time we show up & find something. Best wishes, George (MN)

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets be honest and call a spade a spade....Metal detectorists are often viewed by the majority of those in society as greedy individuals who are out to make a buck off people who lose things, who trespass, and destroy public property...No matter how good most of us are, there are those bad apples who ruin it for everyone...IMHO..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets be honest and call a spade a spade....Metal detectorists are often viewed by the majority of those in society as greedy individuals who are out to make a buck off people who lose things, who trespass, and destroy public property...No matter how good most of us are, there are those bad apples who ruin it for everyone...IMHO..

Bingo!

OP
OP
patiodadio

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So what can we do about it ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what can we do about it ?

Nothing organized. We each have to do what is right for us, our hobby, and the community. We have to understand we are not understood, and try not to attract attention. When we see another detectorist leaving holes or using a shovel in a public park we need to call them out.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State parks in Connecticut are free to us seniors. Same old story. Only beaches, 24-7, no permit needed.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You hit the nail on the head! I think the best thing to do is stay out of sight and out of mind. Lay low, hunt areas when least amount of public is around and never leave any traces that we have been there.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Ohio you can hunt the beaches at all state parks without a permit. Permits are free and are good thru Dec 31st. They can be obtained from the park manager at the park office. I actually think they were pulling your leg or how did they come up with the $63 price? I think they had experiences with some yahoos that did not fill in their holes.

OP
OP
patiodadio

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ohio you can hunt the beaches at all state parks without a permit. Permits are free and are good thru Dec 31st. They can be obtained from the park manager at the park office. I actually think they were pulling your leg or how did they come up with the $63 price? I think they had experiences with some yahoos that did not fill in their holes.

I'm gonna check farther, I agree $63 sounds funny. I'm calling the district office tomorrow.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly why I scuba - No one bothers me underwater..............:thumbsup:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some COE lakes here and it is free, just drive up park and get busy, acres of shoreline. I've never had a ranger say anything to me. Good Luck!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing organized. We each have to do what is right for us, our hobby, and the community. We have to understand we are not understood, and try not to attract attention. When we see another detectorist leaving holes or using a shovel in a public park we need to call them out.

Could not have said it better myself.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about this ...
Why only part of the year ?

Is this when the supervisor is gone on vacation each year ?... And the "employess" sell tickets to the now Un-supervised "show"...
OR...

Is the when the rare Africanized tree frog swamp bug eating toad skinned leopard print gazelle footed moss back gator belly...
Mates and lays it eggs.
And no one can dig because of these endangered eggs ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our county parks are open all year and I started a free permit policy so if we had damage we'd know who to call. Mainly it was to tell ppl where new grass was planted. One guy was leaving open holes an when park worker approached him about damage the worker was threatened. Our Deputies were called, TH'er went to court, fined cost to repair grass damage.:BangHead:
Only restriction was no detecting swim areas because there is fabric under the sand and didn't want it damaged by scoops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread