Why would anyone wear camouflage while metal detecting?

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, but it is odd to wear camo metal detecting. And if I saw a guy in full camo walking around at a school or ballfield, I'd call the cops on him. Even if he had a metal detector with him. Let the cops figure out if he's got PTSD or has some other mental issue.
I have no idea where you are from, but in my neck of the woods many people wear camo all the time, including...wait for it...the teens at school and the parents at the ball field. I know many, many relic hunters, and we all wear full camo when hunting. Some may be sneaking on places, but mostly it is because it hides mud stains and can be worn several times over, and also it really does help cut the competition down. Also most camo gear has extra layers of fabric on the knees and lots of pockets.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camo? That's OK... But if he had hair like this....:tongue3:

joe dirt.jpg

laughing11.gif

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe he just likes wearing them.

I wear military camouflage pants a lot including detecting at times, I like having all the pockets and they are cheap since I buy them at thrift stores for $5-$6 a pair, plus I get 30% off vet discount every Wednesday at the one near my home.
Yep, I have better luck finding "treasure" at Goodwill than I do in the field!

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out why some people wear shorts and flipflops or go barefoot in rattlesnake country.

Yep, that's me. Shorts and my all-terrain Tevas during Oct-Nov deer hunting out in W. Texas. But I do look REAL careful where I step.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
I hunt tailings piles as I don't collect coins. There are no cammo's that match tailings are there? Don't keep coins out here cause the critters steal them and trade for doggy biscuits. Thought cammo was to hide from critters. So he was sneaking up on the FISH! Coil Shock Fishing- latest craze-turn up the sensitivity we're eating trout. Save the pinpoint switch for turtles and frogs. Whups; forgot to take meds at noon- sorry.
20,000 abandoned mines in colorado alone. If SHTF will probably be setting up house next to some of you. If I can see you coming. EMP's stop 20 feet inside a mine. So your detectors would be safe. The water inside has natural minerals...arsenic, telluride, etc. so don't waste money on bottled. Will find rattlers sunning on rocks and when detected-HOT, HOT, HOT.
Why is he wearing cammo?So he could dodge the IRS after finding gold. Where did that camo dress model keep her pinpointer? Is she a relic or gold digger? The pattern did look military, Atenshun!
Have found specimens with so many minerals inside not profitable to remove gold, silver, copper. Old timers left big specimens inside rocks cause no detector!!! Just tossed out the shaft with crystals and such. Look up old mines in your area. Track spikes sell for $2 each at the tourist shops. Candle nails $5. If you do find an old pair of blue jeans give me a call...will trade for new cammo's.:laughing7:
Happy Trails.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I have better luck finding "treasure" at Goodwill than I do in the field!
LOL, sometimes true, but I have found a lot of jewelry on the beaches.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Well, I'm wondering if my usual camo is even worth it.
I have some sun fishing shirts, some by Penn, Shimano, today went detecting wearing a bright Abu red sleeve thing. Just because my others were in the wash. I wear the sun blockers because here the sun is bad and have had melanomas cut out, bad ones from my younger days. Im there thinking when a big 4wd was coming right near me, here we go, so I stopped and waved thinking, yep im a beacon. They never saw me 😂

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it’s not what I think. It’s a joke about where I live. People from surrounding areas make comments like these about me and many other rural dwellers because we do wear camo a lot, and shoot a lot and coyote hunt, etc. I’m always hearing someone joking about Dueling Banjos, Deliverance, moonshining, etc. After a while, I just joke about it too. I figure they’re jealous of how I live. I won’t joke anymore. I seriously did not intend to offend. I guess this old red neck messed up, and for that I sincerely apologize.
Sir you did not mess up at all. I appreciate your kindness. It seems everyone from the North is moving to our mountains then they complain about our generational way of life.
Hope you have a super day. Busy here as it is calving season.
Moooo! Hooooo!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose if you're in a major city downtown and you detected nekked no one would bother you. Or maybe not. No, don't try that. I would never wear shorts detecting. Too many monsters in the grass, ticks, bugs, bees, aliens, etc.

Once upon a time ago I was detecting an old homeplace. Place was being dozed. I knew the farmer who was developing it. Some guy comes out from one of the townhouses and asked if I was using the machine to find radioactive material, or what the machines were for, or as many decades ago this was, it might have been I thought about telling him we were looking for radioactive materials. Can't remember anymore. Anyway it was priceless.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey many many years ago I was ASKED A LOT If i EVER find anything with that GEIGER COUNTER !!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In colder weather... any type of woods... i go for my digital print camo pants... or Desert camo pants... OR Kacki camo... OR... just plain ole Levi's.

Shirt... Optional.... :P

No... top half... if cold... then whatever i felt like at moment of dress... if cold... obviously a jacket.... never camo top.

Feet... woods and cold ?.... then yes... Millitary boots... i own a few styles.
Summer..... K-Swiss sneakers that i wear even in wet enviro like beach.

Why camo pants ? ? ?
Rip stop... breath well... and lots of pockets for trash.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-I d*on't- ow*n /bo... Cat is now done typing....I do not own boots anymore. Can't walk too good so boots wouldn't help.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be wearing camo in April when I go up north for a week of detecting. However, I will be including turkey hunting during the mornings. Here in Michigan I normally wouldn't think twice about seeing someone wearing camo when detecting. With that being said there are areas in southern Michigan that I wouldn't consider going out detecting in between November 15-30 without wearing ample blaze orange for fear of getting lead poisoning.
Where in Michigan? Newaygo area here.. Can get turkey out my back slider//deck.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to tube down the Muskegon

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. Ran into the guy the other day while detecting! Really nice guy who gave me a lot of tips regarding colonial spots to check out. I learned my lesson. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I assumed the worst about him and was totally wrong. I should have known better, since I used to get strange looks when I wore my Skynyrd cap detecting! Apologies to the guy and to all you guys who wear camo...

skynyrd cap.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update. Ran into the guy the other day while detecting! Really nice guy who gave me a lot of tips regarding colonial spots to check out. I learned my lesson. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I assumed the worst about him and was totally wrong. I should have known better, since I used to get strange looks when I wore my Skynyrd cap detecting! Apologies to the guy and to all you guys who wear camo...

View attachment 2073133
Well that's good to hear that your fears are laid to rest now.
Those book covers can really throw off the first impressions of many.
The well worn, are probably the best reads as in this case.

Outrider43

Dec 25, 2014
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites D6000, MXT All Pro and Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
Maybe a Survivalist going to recover a Cache tube that was buried to close the receding shoreline.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread