Why would anyone wear camouflage while metal detecting?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Rebel Son

Sep 7, 2013
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
For most guys Camo is a lifestyle choice not a fashion statement.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also:

Also: I hear technology is having an impact on employment numbers in the Dept. if Transportation. A new invention may eliminate 400 DOT jobs in Iowa. Someone invented a shovel that will stand up all by itself!
Maybe he does not have permission to be there or on the other hand does have permission but has had a problem with others being there without permission As for me I totally think keeping a low profile is the only way to go .The less others are aware of what I am doing the better .. Or perhaps he wears his camo because it is his get dirty clothes' He can put it over his regular clothing and remove it when he is finished for the day .So it could just be nothing about nothing

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a problem when you can't accept the fact that you're no longer in the military. You don't see cops or firefighters wearing their old uniforms after they retire, do you? I hope not! So why would you feel the need to try and appear to still be in the military when those days are long gone? Seems odd to me...
They earned the cloths they wear. And can recognize each other being they alone are allowed to continue to wear insignia.

For all the crap and non-welcomes home I recall Nam vets wearing thier jackets after.
Meanwhile I wore an army coat for many years gifted me by a refugee. No , no insignia.
Worn over a sweater I had a winter coat. Which due to budget was welcomed.
Probably still have it.

Veterans wearing hats denoting such get thanked here.
Others get thier bill paid at a restaurant without knowing who did it but as a thank you.
I'm not military. Or gung ho military. But I recall my generation awaiting it's turn. War ended (temporarily anyways) and we didn't go.
Had I not married young I'd have enlisted. Hindsight says I should have anyways.

You know Veterans? And where they stand returning to society today?
You know enough and you find they are not exactly heralded when it's time to receive medical care.
Knowing someone has been in the service matters to other Veterans. After all , you're not going to relate to them. If you did you wouldn't be fretting about what someone minding thier own is wearing.

When I was broke (most my life) military clothing was and is found durable.
And I've still sewn to repair articles. I hunt game. And that includes thier environment , often not gentle on clothing.
A used green wool heavy military shirt from an era few today can recall or care about cost me 3 dollars. Later I found a $5 in a pocket. Tell me you can beat that!
It served me well in the North. And still will.

My jeans knee tore today. Not my style having worn enough patches in my life.
Being one legged means I cut the other leg off new jeans. Not exactly a value given the cost of a new pair.
So I shouldn't go to the closet and grab a military pants to wear?
How about boots? How much for a good pair? Then I only wear one. Value?
Might as well throw away a hundred dollars.
Meanwhile a pair of military boots await when needed. A lady gave them to me after my trying a couple pair on for size. Can't beat that cost for durable footwear. And you'll not find me in less than sturdy footwear. Not because I'm an outcast military or tacticalcool freak or military wannabe. Worse , I'm not even a threat to society.

I didn't ask why they had surplus gear at thier barn sale. But it was a good cause they were directing the proceeds towards. So I bought some cold weather underwear cheap. I hope that doesn't offend you even if you can't see them.
I see value in thrift and durability. Had I money to buy the latest fashion or P.C. clothing I'd still direct it elsewhere. I'm no model.
The two camo sweatshirts I'm rotating were 40% off new. Not even scary patterns but hey , they are made of recycled material (yeah Earth!) and haven't shrunk to expose my belly yet.
Had I your money I'd find a place that sells medium tall sweatshirts and pay a premium.
Maybe even in a psychedelic or rainbow pattern or something more suited for the publics eye.
You know , to be more like someone I'm not to be accepted for who I am rather than what I look like. Even if I'm not.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Driving home today and saw a guy crossing the road in full camouflage and carrying a metal detector! He was headed for a pond that was recently lowered for dam repairs. It's a well known spot that's rumored to have colonial relics there. I've never found anything good there, but that's another story. My question is why would you wear camo to metal detect? And why wear camo to detect the shoreline of a pond that's wide open with no cover? Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
Why not?

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Maybe that's all he had clean to wear. LOL

judd

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2010
Why do we fill our dig holes? Are we trying to hide the fact we were ever there? Isn't that a form of Camouflage? Wearing Camouflage hides the fact that you were ever there.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good camouflage gear is hard to find. I have some... but I can't see myself wearing it.
R C you mean after YOU PUT your CAMO on you CAN'T SEE YOUR SELF ? LOL

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do we fill our dig holes? Are we trying to hide the fact we were ever there? Isn't that a form of Camouflage? Wearing Camouflage hides the fact that you were ever there.
We fill our dig holes out of RESPECT for the LAND and the people that own it. Not filling your holes is a good way of people not LETTING ANYBODY DETECT ANY MORE !!1

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometimes camos are more durable than other cloth. Especially if they are used military camos. The weave is made so that thorns and prickly stuff tends to slide off. They last, if not forever, then a really long time.

But... yeah... I wouldn't wear full camouflage around here.

ETA: Oh yeah, semi-waterproof and warm also. And pockets and comfortable. And tuck in boots easy.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Xmas present for the Mrs.
First piece of camo wear.
Trimmed in pink.
Note she doesn't hunt, fish, nor detect.
But these are the 🐈 ass for boots.
20230225_171919.jpg

CreekSide

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2023
I own a couple of pants that are camo. They are waterproof and insulated. If it was cold it’s very likely that’s why the guy was wearing them. I only wear the pants in the winter. In the summer I wear jeans.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in New Mexico. There are many hunting accidents because people here are too stupid. I wouldn't wear camo anytime during the year, either the game warden would stop your or some transplanted californian or new yorker would shoot you. They shot a guy off a 4 wheeler and said they thought it was a elk.
I can believe that

I am in Arizona and no way do I go any where near some of the areas when hunting season is in full swing (Big Game) because people are quite frankly stupid when they are hunting big game, and carrying a high powered rifle with them, they will shoot at anything that moves, and ask questions secondly

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My camo Speedos are great to hunt in.
thats a photo I do not want to envision ever again LOL, made me spit my coffee all over my PC

Last edited:

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because after 25 years if wearing it we have a lot of camo left when we retire.. As well of the fact that we are proud of what we have done and most people come to you for help when help is needed; they know most have had some type of emergency medical training and most will be willing to help anyone they can.. :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s not just for church, anymore.

Thinking back when I was in Boy Scouts about 80% of us wore Korea era Army surplus field coats and fatigues. Because they were cheap and durable. Woodland Camo and just solid drab.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I did 20+ years in the Army, I'm not going to throw out perfectly good stuff no matter what the color. Plus the number of pockets in the uniform is a plus so I can put my bobby dazzlers in the top pocket. Most detecting is done around homes/homesteads so there shouldn't be people hunting.. But that's OK since I will just shoot back anyway.
I would like to see just ONE news clip showing that a camo-clad detectorist got shot during hunting season. I like facts, not FEELINGS. Prove me wrong. What I wear for detecting is about comfort and/or suitability for the job I don't care about color.
The detecting hobby has a few rules like filling in your holes, but the fashion aspect has nothing to do with it.
Let people wear what is comfortable/affordable for THEM.
Rant over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread