researcher

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2013
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to re-identify information on a undiscovered wreck that occurred north bound east coast somewhere from Jacksonville north to South Carolina in late 1800's. As far as I can remember from my research at time, that wreck has never been located, and unfortunately I can not remember name of ship.

I remembering discovering this wreck's information in old newspaper clippings I had from a box lot I bought at auction many years ago. The paperwork has been misplaced since. But I vaguely remember this about wreck. It was returning from San Francisco ( in 1850's or 60's i think )bearing gold coin minted in San Fran. It had made several prior trips as well. It was caught in storm around Jacksonville and started floundering or had mechanical issues somewhere off coast of Georgia about Savannah or slightly north of there. Another ship came to rescue and took passengers onward to final destination of New York. Ultimately as far as I could tell the cargo was not offloaded or disclosed and it perished off Georgia of South Carolina I think.

I know this is not a lot of information to go on, but at time I thought it was amazing that I could not locate any information of anybody having found this wreck yet. I remember thinking that it lay in about 200 ft of water based on my rough calculations at time. I also remember calculating that this gold would be worth about $20 million or more at the time I read article and this was when gold was roughly $400 an ounce. So quadruple value now.

I just hope somebody does research and finds this wreck and treasure. It would be shame to have it go undiscovered. I am not a diver or dedicated treasure hunter. Just thought I would share this info in hopes somebody else can benefit from this info. When I have time I will start trying to research New York papers for information that spurred this information in first place.

Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea - good book about the recovery.

Thanks Jollyman and MPH200. Yes, that was the ship. Glad to see that it was located. I will look up book as well! ))

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back