What's new

William The Lion

robfinds

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
3,531
Reaction score
4,422
Golden Thread
5
Location
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well shaping out to be a season of firsts. Latest first for me is this full coin of William The Lion of Scotland 1165-1214. Over the years I've found several cut halves of the Lion, this is the first full one. The coin is in great shape, needless to say very pleased.:laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6906.webp
    IMG_6906.webp
    167.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6907.webp
    IMG_6907.webp
    198.9 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 46
Wow ! Rob is that about the size of a sixpence ? Good job Amigo ! another for the collection !
 
Beautiful piece of Scottish history! Love the looks of that coin!
 
Aye, to these old eyes, it looks like one from the period 1195-1205.
Edinburgh,Perth or Roxburgh mint??
History note: "Lion" not because of his valor (valour, if you please) but because he replaced the dragon on the arms of Scotland by the lion rampant.
Don......
 
Incredible find. Every time you guys across the pond find an old coin, I look up the history of that ruler. Great find, great history behind this one!

Congrats!!
 
Aye, to these old eyes, it looks like one from the period 1195-1205.
Edinburgh,Perth or Roxburgh mint??
History note: "Lion" not because of his valor (valour, if you please) but because he replaced the dragon on the arms of Scotland by the lion rampant.
Don......
Hello Don, cheers for the info.:thumbsup:
 
Congrats Robert - that's one awesome looking coin!!
 
That is an amazing coin to be sure.
 
Wow Rob that coin is incredible. Great find bud. What a nice looking specimen
 
I have the set of those, full/half/Qrter. I think 3 full.

Good addition to the collection or sale?
 
Never find one of those in NYC parks,,, I guess I'll have to travel,,, lol
Nice save:hello2:
 
Wow, A great coin with such history.
 
I love when you boys from across the pond post stuff . Its always an education and a chance to see something cool that I never knew even existed
 
That would make my day for sure, congrats on the find.
 
Congrats awesome looking coin....and old... drool..oh! Sorry!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom