What's new

Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

eathan

Sr. Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
358
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

I'm super excited. We're finally finishing up the last of the remodel on our house in prep for selling. The house was built in 1900 and I've always hoped to find something cool in the walls. Well today, leaning up against the freezer in the pantry in a spot that's been hidden for years by some old shelves I found a Model 1902 Winchester, about the cutest little bolt-action rifle you've ever seen. It's only 33" long! It has a broken trigger guard and some damage to the stock, but no real rust.

I'll get pics up later this evening. Can't seem too excited right now or my wife will get annoyed (she doesn't like guns).
 
Upvote 0
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Good for you brother, cant wait to see a pic !!!!!
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

So...... you ripped out the shelves.....and there it was.
Having found that, I would be tapping, pushing and looking at the walls side on.
That is so exciting!
WTG
Can't wait for the pic :)
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Very cool.... can't wait to see the pics!!!
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

AKiwi said:
So...... you ripped out the shelves.....and there it was.
Having found that, I would be tapping, pushing and looking at the walls side on.
That is so exciting!
WTG
Can't wait for the pic :)
Actually, I ripped out the shelves last week, but the stock matched the wood panneling so well I didn't see it until I went to move the freezer. Now I'm extra eager to explore the under eaves storage space. :)
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

WTG on a super find .
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Don't forget the attic floorboard's while you're at it.......Can't wait to see the pic's,Sound's like a very cool little rifle :).
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Cant wait to see it!!
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Whip em out dude. Finding a gun in a house I'm about to sell, might make me reconsider.
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

TreasureTales, thanks for looking around. I think we did some of the same searches, because that Q&A is one of the ones I looked at earlier today. Pretty cool bit of history there.

I am still really excited. This is my best find to date. :)

Hey muleskinner, does that mean you might be interested when the house goes on the market...? ;)

Here are a couple pics with a pencil in there for size comparison.
 

Attachments

  • rifle.webp
    rifle.webp
    4 KB · Views: 3,524
  • rifle2.webp
    rifle2.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 4,078
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

How cool is that!! :D

Congrats on your super find!
~Hank 8)
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Since your wife doesn't like guns, and my wife likes guns, you can send it to me. ;D Nice find....congrats.
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Wow! What a find! Tear that house apart before you sell Eathan! :D

Nana :)
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Not interested in the house but interested in the gun if your lady wishes for you to depart from it.

Great find, how long you lived there? know any history on the place or gun other than 1900 build
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

The paneling is generic '70s ply. I think the previous gun owner did a poor varnish job on the stock, so the two matched really closely. The rifle was just leaning in the corner between the freezer (came with the house) and the wall.

bridgeendfarm, she'll be hard pressed to get me to part with it. As for the history, I read what was in the Q&A linked earlier, so know the Winchester was made between 1914 and 1926. The house I'm told was a doctor's in the early days, with his surgery upstairs. There was a fire that took out much of the second floor in the '30s and the yard is full of nails and bits. My detecting hasn't turned up much of anything.

Thanks again everyone. This is my coolest find yet! :)
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

NICE! Banner find anybody? Looks to be in great condition!
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

any idea of it's value ???

PLL
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

WOW great find!!
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

didn't think you would part with it, I wouldn't.

I would take a good look around before I departed.

Good luck with your sale too.
 
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

Cannonman17, thanks for the banner nod! That'd be sweet, but the top-end value is only around $250. Not sure if it qualifies, but still well cool to me!

pegleglooker, closed auctions I've seen seem to confirm the Q&A in the link posted earlier. They all hit at $250.

Thanks again all, and don't worry bridgeendfarm, I'll be giving the place a good once over before we leave. I've been in most of the walls over the last few years, but want to really look while I have the chance. It's a big old house, so may still be some goodies around.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom