Wish List Finds - no. 3 & 6 in the same day!!! - UPDATED.......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish List Finds - no. 3 & 6 in the same day!!! - UPDATED.......

Went back to the backfilled Arkie trenches & had one of our best days :headbang: (10 man hours)

27 Roman Bronze Coins (best 1 day total this year!) - taking us to exactly 250 this year
1 Roman Silver Coin
Roman bronze locking pin terminal
Nice Harts Militia Button!
Wish List no.6 was my first Early Saxon Strapend circa 8th Century :)

Wish List no.3 is one I have raved about for some time & today is finally the day ;D ;D ;D
Saxon Sceatta, circa 710-760, Series J. This fills a massive hole in my coin collection.

More importantly we have located a roman site which continued being used into the Saxon period. We have no other Saxon Sites in our local area, so you can bet we will be doing more of this field in the future :hello:

I'm so happy, I don't even care its work tomorrow, time for a drink :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,861
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,844
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,826
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,671
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,759
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,783
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,813
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,711
  • 9a.JPG
    9a.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,649
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,835
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,855
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,783
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,726
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,762
  • 9a.JPG
    9a.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,646
Upvote 0
Re: Wish List Finds - no. 3 & 6 in the same day!!!

Congrats those old coins are amazing i cant believe the condition wow. Banner !!!!

terryo said:
Hey Crusader! Another great hunt, I see ! The largest thing in the first picture, is that a piece of an ammonite(fossil)?
Oh, yeah, Banner too !

Thanks, & Welcome to this amazing site.

Don in SJ said:
Cru, enough is enough, I just filled out my passport application this weekend, headin over!! ::)

You sure are having another great year, and this group of finds is beyond most wildest expectations, you are a good hunter, lucky hunter, and sure am in a great location for our hobby.............

Don

Thanks Don, we are having an amazing year, & we haven't even got to our best fields yet. Every year, we think we can't get better but we do!

terryo said:
Hey Crusader! Another great hunt, I see ! The largest thing in the first picture, is that a piece of an ammonite(fossil)?
Oh, yeah, Banner too !

Yeah, its a fossil, eyes only, next to Roman pottery bits.

BuckleBoy said:
Incredible! Those are some BIG finds there!
Beautiful sceat--in Beautiful condition. The strap end is wonderful, and even some of your Roman scrappies look like they're in Excellent shape.
Incredible. :o
Best Wishes and HH,
Buckles

Cheers, mate, its still sinking in, I keep looking at it & can't believe the condition. The book only Grades them up to VF & mine is EF, easy.

Once again.....quite simply amazing!! Banner!!!!!!! :hello2:

:icon_thumright: Are you trying to wear out my blinking "Congratulations"? :icon_thumleft:
Big Congrats.gif

Attachments

• Big Congrats.gif
    Big Congrats.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Big Congrats.gif
    Big Congrats.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,279

Picture no. 6 would make a great banner pic. My vote is in. :thumbsup:

Randy

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Stunning Sceat :o :o banner for sure, and a strapend :notworthy: what more can you say :notworthy: clipped silaqua is it a julian? :thumbsup:

Honorius & they all fell to the XP :wink: I'm over the moon & will dream whats in the crop around the small areas we can do ::)
I have never only seen one sceat come from a field, there is always more :thumbsup:

Thats what I'm hoping, no experience of this of course, but I think I'm near a Saxon Homestead (walking distance from River & nice crop marks, that at first glance looked Iron Age). We haven't detected over the crop marks yet, we are a little distance off.
I have always thought that the clipped Roman silver coins were meant to be passed of as sceats, in the Saxon period, I mentioned this to Dr M Allen who said, there was no proof that they were, but I personely think that they were, you often see them come out on Saxon sites.
Here's one Mr Searcher.

Attachments

• sax.jpg
    sax.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,221
  • sax.jpg
    sax.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,217

Wow Cru, just great and wonderful finds! Really good quality!

Just wondered if you have recorded your coin(sceat) with the coin corpus :P and have you any feedback from Dr M.A. :read2:

Damn you UK guys! Why do i have to be stuck in america where there just isnt that much old history!!?? South Arkansas doesnt have much in the way of old coins. man i wouldnt give for a week or 2 detecting around Virginia, Philly, Il, areas.

Silver Searcher said:
Just wondered if you have recorded your coin(sceat) with the coin corpus :P and have you any feedback from Dr M.A. :read2:

Only that they called them 'shats' in Saxon times. :laughing7:

CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:
Incredible! Those are some BIG finds there!
Beautiful sceat--in Beautiful condition. The strap end is wonderful, and even some of your Roman scrappies look like they're in Excellent shape.
Incredible. :o
Best Wishes and HH,
Buckles

Cheers, mate, its still sinking in, I keep looking at it & can't believe the condition. The book only Grades them up to VF & mine is EF, easy.

I bet you had a tall frosty beverage or two after finding that. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Buckles

Re: Wish List Finds - no. 3 & 6 in the same day!!! - UPDATED.......

UPDATED:

I have recieved information that this land is covered by a MAJOR Roman Site :icon_thumright: You can bet we will be doing this after harvest & our coin count will hit the roof :laughing7:

Absolutely beautiful history you have returned topside. My Banner vote is in. That coin is a dream.

wow! i've missed this :o

major congrats mate :icon_thumright: that was some day you had there, and i know how much you wanted that sceat!

why no banner? :dontknow:

sorry for not being excited,but I have no clue what they are or how rare of a find it is... must be something good with all the banner votes.. (tip: to vote banner click on vote banner under name of orginal poster an type Banner in the box an send)

What AWESOME finds!!! I need to make my way out to England. Congrats on the great finds!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back