Wonderful Stuff...Some Unknowns...Revolutionary War Onward

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,

I'm going to post a bunch of items we have unearthed over the past month via metal detector on my brother's 1683 four-acre property (a one-time tavern with blacksmith, farrier, 60-stable barn, Revolutionary War campsite(?), schoolhouse). We have found so many buttons, rosettes(?), buckles, so if anyone recognizes any of these items, we'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for viewing!

Lisa & John

Attachments

• Broach or Buckle - Back.jpg
    Broach or Buckle - Back.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 168
  • African Idol3.JPG
    African Idol3.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Brass Edge Buckle.jpg
    Brass Edge Buckle.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Buckles.jpg
    Buckles.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Buttons Front and buckle.jpg
    Buttons Front and buckle.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 211
  • Buttons - Backs, Buckle.jpg
    Buttons - Backs, Buckle.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Broach or Buckle.jpg
    Broach or Buckle.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Brass Stuff.jpg
    Brass Stuff.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Decorative Button.jpg
    Decorative Button.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Brass Thimble.jpg
    Brass Thimble.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Beautiful Thing.jpg
    Beautiful Thing.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Incredible Stuff.jpg
    Incredible Stuff.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 244
  • More Cool Stuff.jpg
    More Cool Stuff.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 19

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing site-the buttons and some of the coins are drool-worthy. :tongue3: If you happen to find a decent amount of old pottery shards or black glass in an area on the site it is probably an old trash pit. If you find one by all means dig it to find non-metallic relics (pottery, glass, wig curlers, etc.) and also scan the dirt with your metal detector as you dig it out. If you really want to find the good stuff from a pit, sift the dirt through a screen made of 1/4 to 1/2 inch wire mesh (half inch is easier to sift with).

Keep working that site-there's always more there.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice, thanks! We did incidentally find a shard from a plate with a classic, old blue design on it. Wish there was a detector for that type of stuff!

Interestingly, we started taking off the top layer of soil of areas we already investigated, and now suddenly we're getting hundreds or hits! It seems that since we disturbed the ground, it must've stirred up some more stuff. Looking forward to posting more. What a great group you all are! ~Lisa & John

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible group of finds. So much history on a place like that, you never know whether the next find will be 17th, 18th, 19th or 20th century. Congrats on the 5th Mass button. It is in great shape. Most people brush on a mixture of Elmers glue and water to coat pewter buttons. It can be removed if necessary since Elmers is water soluble. You should practice on other pewter scraps until you are comfortable with the process.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an incredible group of finds. So much history on a place like that, you never know whether the next find will be 17th, 18th, 19th or 20th century. Congrats on the 5th Mass button. It is in great shape. Most people brush on a mixture of Elmers glue and water to coat pewter buttons. It can be removed if necessary since Elmers is water soluble. You should practice on other pewter scraps until you are comfortable with the process.

Yep. I always use a 50/50 mixture of Elmers and water and brush it on. Worked well for me on a couple 1812 pewters, but haven't found a rev button yet....

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now!!!!....way to kick down the tnet door and make a grand entrance! That Rev War button is absolutely amazing. It's also a fantastic sign as well as many of the other finds that your site probably had heavy occupation during the late 18th early 19th century which is kind of the sweet spot for detecting finds. I also love the 1600s finds but they are much harder to find and unless you pull a silver coin or something there's not a whole lot from that time frame that's considered rare or valuable. I personally just love any early history so it's all cool to me if it's early. You have a very special site there and I'm going to give you a bit of advice. I would be taking one section at a time and journaling your hunts. Try to figure out what age finds are coming from where. You will eventually begin to gain a more clear picture of what was where and during what time period. I log all of my hunts and it's been very helpful. It also helps when you are putting together displays so you know what belongs in which case. I hope you love every second you spend pulling out these incredible pieces of history. These opportunities are extremely rare and getting more rare all the time. Keep the great stuff coming

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw I would certainly use a 50/50 Elmers glue and water mix to coat that button. If that baby flakes you will be heart broken. The key is to put thin layers on and let them dry completely in between coats. Good luck

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all your finds! Some very very nice goodies! Congrats on the super old military button as well! Wow!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice, thanks! We did incidentally find a shard from a plate with a classic, old blue design on it. Wish there was a detector for that type of stuff!

Interestingly, we started taking off the top layer of soil of areas we already investigated, and now suddenly we're getting hundreds or hits! It seems that since we disturbed the ground, it must've stirred up some more stuff. Looking forward to posting more. What a great group you all are! ~Lisa & John

What that tells you is that there are a LOT of relics that are too deep for your detector to find when you swing your coil across the soil. That is a good sign because the really old stuff is usually buried the deepest. I would systematically take down the soil a few inches one small area at a time (say 5 feet square), and keep detecting there until you aren't digging any more nonferrous signals. Or better yet, dig down to just below the level where the signals stop, then work through the pile of dirt and fill it back in after you're done. Then repeat the process for the area adjoining it and so on.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Down, thanks!! I'll share this advice with John. -Lisa
QUOTE=DownNDirty;5104443]What that tells you is that there are a LOT of relics that are too deep for your detector to find when you swing your coil across the soil. That is a good sign because the really old stuff is usually buried the deepest. I would systematically take down the soil a few inches one small area at a time (say 5 feet square), and keep detecting there until you aren't digging any more nonferrous signals. Or better yet, dig down to just below the level where the signals stop, then work through the pile of dirt and fill it back in after you're done. Then repeat the process for the area adjoining it and so on.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve, we're going to (squeamishly) try the Elmer's glue solution on the Grand Army button next time I go up to visit John. Will post pics after! Thanks again, -Lisa

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gaspipe, thanks! We are having a blast! L&J
Wow great site. Given the history of the site ,and it's size there should be a lot more to come and it it looks like you are the first to detect. Have fun places like that don't come along often.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Davers...our site keeps us very busy, for sure. And, this website and all you folks are amazing. -Lisa & John
WOW!
What a Site.
Scrappy's advice is Good IMO , Check out those Guy's mentioned. They know their Stuff , from experience.

Much much history ,you have uncovered there.
Davers

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Zach! L & D

Congrats on all your finds! Some very very nice goodies! Congrats on the super old military button as well! Wow!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great variety of finds! That property is looking like metal detecting heaven. Congrats, and keep it up!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Tommy! Posted some new finds last night! -L&J
QUOTE=Tommy G;5116403]What a great variety of finds! That property is looking like metal detecting heaven. Congrats, and keep it up![/QUOTE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread