Wonderful weekend! CW Buttons, coins and Family!

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son got a great report card and review from his teacher, so I asked what he wanted to do special for his achievement. His response.... "Let's go detecting Dad!" My kinda kid! So we went to a couple civil war era permissions and had one heck of a day!He was using his Garrett AT Pro, and I had my XP Deus. I showed him and area where I was told there used to be a wishing well or a pond, so he headed straight there. 2 seconds later he is telling me he already has a signal, I can't believe it, however it turns out to be a wheat penny. I walk away and he calls me right back for another signal. I tell him to let me know what it is, and he says a dime, but then he gets really excited...1939 Mercury!His first silver! IMG_20161108_201634.jpg

I walk away no more than ten feet and get a real faint signal, but decide to dig it, 9 inches down is an amazing Confederate Federal Marines button! My mind is still blown. button.jpg

Next we find a few miniballs, but then the signals seem to disappear for a while. 20161108_121342.jpg 20161108_121409.jpg 20161108_115415.jpg

At that point, we decide to leave for another location. We head for the truck, but always detect our way out, and are we glad we did! I get a strong nickel signal and pull out a buffalo nickel, and 3 of her friends! Walk one more step and find a 1909 barber quarter! IMG_20161112_180014.jpg IMG_20161112_175440.jpg

AMAZING Day!!! I hope you enjoy everything as much as we did!!!

Rebelyeller and Colin

Last edited:
Upvote 27

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That pic of your kid with the merc is priceless. You are a very lucky man.

That Barber "dime" is actually a quarter, but after the Confederate button, I can't blame you. That button is really sweet. Bet your glad the kid didn't dig that one.

Very well played sir!

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds by both!! Good going Dad!! keep him swinging!!!

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing the awesome day you had with your favorite hunting partner.

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome day!! I try to get my boys out with me but they lose interest. Congrats on the finds and the time well spent bonding with your son.

OP
OP
RebelYeller

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, wrote the wrong thing, Thanks

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Your son will never forget days like that, and if he forgets the relics will remind him......I love that button.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you sure did have an amazing day. may you have many more like it. great finds. CONGRATS!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great, great stuff and great times with your son! Kudos to you (and him for the good grades)! I want to ask you about your button. I have one that I found not far from Toano (Not NEAR as nice as yours) but never heard it called CONFEDERATE. Can you give me a reference on the button? I'm intrigued. I'd love to read about it, or see other examples. In other words, I'm asking how to tell the difference between a Federal Marine button and a Confederate Marine button? I see some GILT on yours! I'll bet a 15 second dip in distilled vinegar (followed by a thorough and immediate rinsing in fresh water) would bring out some gold on that puppy.

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day. You both will remember that day. The great relics are a bonus. Nice post.[emoji106] [emoji106]

HH RN

OP
OP
RebelYeller

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great, great stuff and great times with your son! Kudos to you (and him for the good grades)! I want to ask you about your button. I have one that I found not far from Toano (Not NEAR as nice as yours) but never heard it called CONFEDERATE. Can you give me a reference on the button? I'm intrigued. I'd love to read about it, or see other examples. In other words, I'm asking how to tell the difference between a Federal Marine button and a Confederate Marine button? I see some GILT on yours! I'll bet a 15 second dip in distilled vinegar (followed by a thorough and immediate rinsing in fresh water) would bring out some gold on that puppy.

Walker, I will try to locate the article that I saw it in, and will send it to you. It stated that that type of button was used on the ironclad Virginia, it could have been mistaken though. Dave

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your son finding his first silver - PRICELESS! And you guys went on to have quite an adventure. Congrats on some great finds and quality time together!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really doesn't get any better than that! WTG!

(But....please get your son's tender lil fingers some gloves for protection! :) )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread