🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Wood carved figure of ??? From ???

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20211230_033146.jpg
    20211230_033146.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • 20211230_033512.jpg
    20211230_033512.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • 20211230_033540_(1).jpg
    20211230_033540_(1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20211230_033419_(1).jpg
    20211230_033419_(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of where this originated from or who it's supposed to be of and is most likely nothing, but am very impressed with some of the things that get solved on this forum. Figured I'd at least ask before getting rid of it. Thanks!
I saw something like that in a book on urban treasure hunting,can,t remember the guy who wrote it.His was connected to the Santeria worship and I believe it was called ogma or something similar.Found in NYC.Might not have any thing to do with yours,just something to look at.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more info like where bought/found?
Any more info like where bought/found?
I know I didn't leave you guys with much to go on, but didn't want to include something that I'm not positive of. With that being said, here's what I was told by my mother. She believes it was part of a huge estate sale at a very nice home in Portland, Oregon in the 30's, that her dad and his parents had gone to. I have seen the furniture they got from it as well as two unique looking Native American baskets. The furniture is still very nice and the baskets were authenticated as real. My mother believes they bought that figure because they believed it could be Native American also.
Sorry I don't have something 100% certain.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of an old movie called Trilogy of Terror.
Lol....great, now I look at that thing completely different and make it face the other way. Looked at the pics I posted and the one facing backwards makes it look like there's a gold twin facing it. Sure it's just a shadow but still weird.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw something like that in a book on urban treasure hunting,can,t remember the guy who wrote it.His was connected to the Santeria worship and I believe it was called ogma or something similar.Found in NYC.Might not have any thing to do with yours,just something to look at.
Appreciate you sharing that, gives me something else to explore. I've been trying to go off its looks, no clothes, and what type of wood its made from and just not sure.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate you sharing that, gives me something else to explore. I've been trying to go off its looks, no clothes, and what type of wood its made from and just not sure.
Just a thought that popped in my head when I saw it,and I hoped it might give you another avenue to explore.I like your figure,it,s real neat.I hope someone can ID it for certain as I,d love to know also.Good luck!

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Unclemac it does look Islander inspired and the wood looks like palm wood the pores remind me of palm but that also opens up a lot of areas of the world it could be from as palms are pretty common.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wood and style looks more Islander to me than NA American or even African.
I agree on ruling those out 👍 I've been thinking South America, but the Islander idea definitely should be considered. The wood has to be palm, as it is always lighter than what you're expecting it to be. It looks like the figure used to have more detail. Been trying to find matches that looks like the earrings and hairstyle. Will be able to narrow down to areas with palm trees. Thanks!

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread