Working Corn Fields

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to hit the field again this coming Saturday. Both the 1700's house and the 1900's house were by two well-traveled roads. On Sunday I worked the area that would have been right behind the house. About 20 yards from the road. I did find a lot of trash. Nice sounding can slaw.

The field is about 100+ acres. Would you guys start working the more toward the center of the acreage rather than where the houses were? I'm thinking less trash, but maybe less chance for good finds. It's going to be slow going since the stalks are still about a foot tall. Would you go with a smaller coil that's better in and around the stalks over a larger coil?

I'll be using my Impact, it worked very well on Sunday. The Legend was quiet. The Manticore factory coil will be too large, I think.

Any suggestions for corn field hunting?

Thanks...

Upvote 2
I FOUND A COPPER! It's a U.S., Lady Liberty is beautiful. It was hit by the disc, and I don't know if I'll ever get the date. Here is a pic right after I found her. It the reverse.

signal-2023-11-12-12-15-24-891.jpg

More to come after she's clean.

I am blown away at how the aluminum cans get so far out in the fields and get so deep. I get it's from plowing and tilling, but holy cow. I'm meeting the woman that grew up on the farm tomorrow and we're going to go over where the barn and outbuildings were.
Could also be from coming from the tractor operators.
I mumble to myself "dirty farmer" toss it out of window.
Sure some comes from other ways, but in the middle of a field, I think it's the workers.
You might start to notice a favorable brand also.

See Today's Finds post.

Hunt the area where the vehicles would be parked. Hunt the path between the house door and the vehicle(s). LOTS of coins there.

Hunt the area where the vehicles would be parked. Hunt the path between the house door and the vehicle(s). LOTS of coins there.
Unfortunately, it's almost all corn field now. The grassy area that remains is the spot the house stood. Going out tomorrow with the Manticore to concentrate on the edge of the grass and field area. From the grass to about 3 feet out into the field seems to be where the good stuff is. I found the 1822 Matron and late 1800's jingle bell in this area. Which would have been right off the back porch. The grassy area is also full of iron and aluminum trash. Probably something there though. Hard to dig, all stone under about an inch of top soil.

Spent 5 hours in the field today. Achieved my goal of swinging from the grass 3 feet out into the field around the where the house once stood. Got half a 5-gallon pail of can slaw again. The Manticore shows can slaw on the 2d as a good round target on the center line anywhere between 82 and 94 vdi. Frustrating to say the least.

Swung the grass today too. Lots of high tones, but again trash from tearing down the house. I did find a coin! A 1946 wheat penny. Rang up about 77, I thought it was either a penny or large iron. 2d did show a nice round center line target though. I decided to keep on swinging in this field. I found one 1800's coin, there's bound to be more somewhere.

Suggestion: Look the place over with a "wide angle" eye. Try to visualize where the garden was. They all grew there own veggies back then. If they had caches, they would be in the garden where disturbances in the soil would go unnoticed. Rings are also found there. ╦╦ç

Suggestion: Look the place over with a "wide angle" eye. Try to visualize where the garden was. They all grew there own veggies back then. If they had caches, they would be in the garden where disturbances in the soil would go unnoticed. Rings are also found there. ╦╦ç
Good suggestion. However, this place is a mess. The farmer didn't leave anything except where the 1700's home stood. Everything else has been plowed and planted over the years. Even the 1900's house.

I know a woman that grew up on the property. She has showed me where everything used to be. It's just loaded with aluminum trash. Mostly can slaw.

Good suggestion. However, this place is a mess. The farmer didn't leave anything except where the 1700's home stood. Everything else has been plowed and planted over the years. Even the 1900's house.

I know a woman that grew up on the property. She has showed me where everything used to be. It's just loaded with aluminum trash. Mostly can slaw.
There was also a trash dump on the site, usually downhill or far away from the water source. Full of trash, yes, but also full of GOODIES! No detector required there. ╦╦ç

One more suggestion: finding many iron farm equipment pieces will show you where they did the repairs. Nice coins, falling out of the bibs, will be found here after you pick out the trash. What are the chances you can get pictures of the property from WAY BACK? Me, Alpha105, Jimb, and Timc, hunted the childhood home of the guy that killed President Grant. I found a history book with a pic of the house, showing a large oak stump in the front yard. The stump was no longer on the property when we hunted it. The lawn was now manicured. I went to the location of where the stump was and found a V nickel. They sat out under the large trees back then on a summer afternoon to cool off, losing their change. ╦╦ç

Last edited:
There was also a trash dump on the site, usually downhill or far away from the water source. Full of trash, yes, but also full of GOODIES! No detector required there. ╦╦ç
I know the well for the later home (1700's)was on the back porch. I think I may have found the outhouse for the earlier home (1700's). There is a depression down the rise from where that home stood. When we dry out from the weekend rain I'll wonder out and have a look. Around where the earlier home stood.

One more suggestion: finding many iron farm equipment pieces will show you where they did the repairs. Nice coins, falling out of the bibs, will be found here after you pick out the trash. ╦╦ç
I searched around the area where the barn stood thinking I would find iron there. Again, mostly can slaw. I did find a brass handle out there. My friend showed me where her dad kept his cars and tractors. I haven't made it out there yet. I'll have to make a point to get there.

Note the change I made to post 31.... ╦╦ç

Note the change I made to post 31.... ╦╦ç
I have pictures that she allowed me to scan. They're mostly of the later 1700's home. I also have Ariel views going back to 1939 for building placement. She confirmed the use of each out building. Just a matter of hitting it all. The farm buildings and house took up about 4 acres.

I have pictures that she allowed me to scan. They're mostly of the later 1700's home. I also have Ariel views going back to 1939 for building placement. She confirmed the use of each out building. Just a matter of hitting it all. The farm buildings and house took up about 4 acres.
Sounds like you got a handle on it! RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! I will follow this thread. Research, clean out the trash, pick up the goodies. I love it when a plan comes together! ╦╦ç

How far can items be moved by plowing and tilling? I found a small valve cover about 4 feet from where the back porch of the late 1700's home stood. Where they kept the cars and tractors would have been about half an acre away. Maybe a little more. Is it possible the valve cover could have been moved that far?

Large items will move more than small items. I've hunted plowed fields were there used to be an old building, and the square nails from that building are still right around the foundation site even after decades if not centuries of plowing. Sometimes you can just look into the field and see darker dirt where the building once stood.

How far can items be moved by plowing and tilling? I found a small valve cover about 4 feet from where the back porch of the late 1700's home stood. Where they kept the cars and tractors would have been about half an acre away. Maybe a little more. Is it possible the valve cover could have been moved that far?
Yes, under certain conditions. May even been moved there by the farmer. May I also add that acres is an area term, not a distance thing, so difficult to really say how far you mean. ╦╦ç

Yes, under certain conditions. May even been moved there by the farmer. May I also add that acres is an area term, not a distance thing, so difficult to really say how far you mean. ╦╦ç
Good point. Thinking about it in shooting distance. I'd say 50 yards or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back