AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Working seasonal drainage's or gorges?

So fairly new to prospecting but have been doing an enormous amount of reading, love all the knowledge to be gleamed from the threads on this site as well. One question I have, however, and it is probably area specific is what are your experiences as far as working gorges or seasonal drainage's/ravines that flow into known gold producing rivers/waterways?

Should I look for certain geology? Quartz, etc? Or in your experience is it a waste of time?

Reason I ask Is I came across what I believe is a very old coyote hole style mine shaft in a crazy steep area above a gold bearing river, however I don't see any quartz or other indicators of gold within this gorge/ravine?

I didn't have the equipment to worm my way in (or protection from wildlife, big enough for a Mountain Lion to fit in) but I would be willing to bet that nobody has worked or seen this since it's construction - completely obstructed from view and I only happened to find it after taking a fall.

The sides of the shaft make it clear its man made, I just find that it is in the oddest of places, and don't want to waste my time or risk my safety accessing this if it is unlikely to pay off in any way.

Geology appeared to be granite and maybe slate - shaft is unobstructed and is deeper than I could see with a one LED headlamp.

Input is appreciated. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
You obviously are feverish. It is best to be careful exploring in mines, mine shafts or holes resembling mines, coyotes or drifts. It is good you had the presence of mind to think about Mountain Lions, Rattle Snakes. Everyone on this forum wants to hear from you for many years. Please stay safe.

Goldenmojo

I'm no expert on hard rock, but I know they would sometimes start a tunnel to intersect a possible vein or ancient riverbed a hundred ft. below the actual target. As far as exploring gulches, small gullies above gold-bearing rivers, I'm a true believer. The steeper, more inaccessible, the better. Of course, safety first.

Last edited:
Old mines are dangerous and not worth your life. Take a quick online course for mine safety if you must explore these places. Tell someone where you are going or bring a friend. Look for old camps and mine tailings. It is best to look where gold has been found before. There are many sites that keep records, or old newspaper clippings and such. Good luck.

I am probably a little feverish. As far as the suggestion for the online classes, I am arleady fully MSHA schooled and am aware of the dangers that this shaft would present - I wont attempt an entrance past a few feet without an SCBA and proper safeguards in place.

It's just I have to know. Its there, in this off the wall location, almost like it was constructed purposely in a concealed fashion - I am kicking myself for not looking into it a little already. It's all I can think about. I have reviewed old records of the area show no claim in the immediate vicinity, closest was a gold claim about 1/4 mile away long, long ago..:-\

Last edited:
If it will help and for a 50/50 split you can tie a rope around your waist and I will stand at the entrance of the cave in case you need to be pulled back to safety......

I hope you don't find the owner inside. Coyote holes are death traps..

Is the hole in rock or dirt?

I hope you don't find the owner inside. Coyote holes are death traps..

Is the hole in rock or dirt?

It appeared to be rock, but I only got a quick look with a one LED headlamp, I am assuming that it could change to dirt past the entrance.

So my tentative plan is to head there on the 15th or 16th this month, maybe the weekend after that depending on how fast I can come up with the gear I want. I'll keep everyone posted as to my results.

stayoutstayalive02_800.jpg

Pretty much says it all........

I don't even bring my cell with. Bad enough big brother can keep an eye on you every other day of the week. Nobody will be nosing in on me. And I use an older digital - no harmful metdata. Only person left with details of my location and emergency instructions is the girlfriend.

Last edited:
Try some old, and I mean OLD topo maps. Most of the online maps, USFS maps have had a lot of old mine locations redacted.
They figure if it doesn't show on a map, then it never existed...same with old trails.
Do a search for old topo maps for your state and you just might find a mine icon ('Y' figure) for your coyote hole.

Bob

Did you try inspecting the material downslope of the entrance - I'm talkin maybe 50 ft. farther down the gulch - that excavated material had to go somewhere, and just a few tiny rock fragments might tell you the story.

Did you try inspecting the material downslope of the entrance - I'm talkin maybe 50 ft. farther down the gulch - that excavated material had to go somewhere, and just a few tiny rock fragments might tell you the story.

Didn't even think of that Fullpan; that would have been a great idea, I was just to concerned with getting back to my vehicle before dark set in entirely so I didn't stick around and inspect things as long as I would have liked to. I think that is the first thing I'll do when I head back up there, probably pan a little of it. :thumbsup:

You might also check to 30 yds left and right, to find any trace of a path or trail. If you find a trace, you know they came and went over a period of time - not just a one-time-shot.

Hello Woody86, I've been in a number of old mines in various parts of NorCal and out past Bakersfield though I've NEVER gone into anything with a small to tight opening. After you've inspected down hill, left & right of the hole take a look above the hole. OK, now you've got the outside inspected. Before crawling into the hole and with a high Lumen headlamp (100 or more) as well as a handheld (always have a spare light not just spare batteries) look right up at the inside top lip of the hole to be sure there is nothing up there that will come out at you, rock or animal. Then, still on the outside, take a good close look around in there starting at the opening and leading in, a 360 degree look. Also pay attention to the floor, is there buildup on the floor from the roof caving in. Are there spider webs, shed snake skins, any tracks in the dirt of the floor. What does the air just inside the opening smell like. If there is rubble on the floor then consider that the roof is weak. If this is a dirt tunnel with river rock in the walls, any disturbance (bumping into the wall, making a loud noise or pulling a rock out of the wall) could cause the place to cave in. Yes, yes you told us about the mine safety training just think of this as your fairy godfather watching over you kindly. If anything in there makes you cough, smells bad or causes the hair on the back of your neck to raise up Leave Now Right Then not a few steps more. Wear any form of strap on type hard hat/helmet you can get your hands on. Old mines are great adventures just do not make it your last one. And watch out for holes in the floor.....................63bkpkr

Gulches, little gullies between hills are where you get clues to what else is 'out there'. A good clue is finding a 5 oz nugget. Good Luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back