Wormy looking Geode, Nodule or what...and crystal/quartz piece...

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..Found this rock, has interesting outside & inside. So was wondering which to call it?
RSCN8258.JPG RSCN8250.JPG RSCN8251.JPG

...and this quartz piece with crystals in it....:)
RSCN8356.JPG RSCN8363.JPG

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda cool pattern on the outside (never seen one like that before)....reminds me of a cross hatch pattern. Inside looks like there may be 3 - 4 different shapes...

In a name game.........I would call it... " Cross Hatch Delight "

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to guess you found these in or near an area with volcanic rocks. The nodule appears to have zeolites on the interior. The crystaly piece is something I have recovered before and is a kind of geode however these types are formed inside pockets in volcanic magma from highly mineralized water. I'm sure there is a proper name for them but never cared to look. They are cool and very fragile. The outer shape is where the crystals formed on the magma pocket and grew inwards. Some specimen's I have recovered were as big as an egg but most were smaller.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cariboo....:laughing7:..that's a good name for it!

DDancer...oh yes, very volcanic area here. Thanks for the information! Still would like to know how the rock gets that "worm" look?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worm look is most likely from the magma's interface with the mineralized water as it pushed thru cracks in the magma as it cooled. The process creates micro bubbles and occurs along fractures in the volcanic material. The micro bubbles push out creating a rounded effect along the cracks. To test this you can use a microscope or loupe and in the sharp broken edges of the nodule look at where the solid structure interfaces with the wormy cracks.
Zeolites, silicates *quartz*, sulfides and air pockets will cause similar patterning. Chalcedony *an opal like silicate* is probalbly also present in the area and will create a similar wormy appearance. Look up Chalcedony Desert Rose and see what it looks like... most forms of it look like melted wax and some forms hold value as Fire Agate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you DDancer for all of the information, can't wait to get out my loop & check it out again. We do have a lot of Chalcedony, the roses and some fire agate as well...I've got quite a few posts on it, think I made people sick of it! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Awesome" was my first thought, but you want something more scientific - looks like a thunderegg? I've found ones that were conjoined like that, and it has the chalcedony in it. Google thunderegg/ thunder egg images to compare. Awesome exterior though - very nice display sample.
Tigger

Upvote 0
S

stefen

The worm look is most likely from the magma's interface with the mineralized water as it pushed thru cracks in the magma as it cooled. The process creates micro bubbles and occurs along fractures in the volcanic material. The micro bubbles push out creating a rounded effect along the cracks. To test this you can use a microscope or loupe and in the sharp broken edges of the nodule look at where the solid structure interfaces with the wormy cracks.
Zeolites, silicates *quartz*, sulfides and air pockets will cause similar patterning. Chalcedony *an opal like silicate* is probalbly also present in the area and will create a similar wormy appearance. Look up Chalcedony Desert Rose and see what it looks like... most forms of it look like melted wax and some forms hold value as Fire Agate.

Desert rose was my first thought...one with the pedals knocked off...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread