WOT the Heck!

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Well, after yesterdays hunt at the beach watching Oscar (Sandsifter) finding a nice 14K gold ring and lotsa clad with his WOT equipped Sovereign GT, and me finding $0.29 with my SE w/stock coil, I went ahead today and ordered a WOT for myself. Being smart enough to realise that you have to get the coil over the target to find it, it appeared to me that he was able to cover a lot more area than I in the same amount of time. I'm aware of the increased depth capability of the WOT but I'm more attracted to it for its larger search area. Most of Oscar's finds were less than 6". But deep is good too!

Pete

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WOT is not only deep as you mentioned but the area covered is much more. It being a DD coil the field at the bottom is wider than a concentric coil which needs to be overlapped more to cover the same area. See Fig. below on a concentric coil without any overlap.

Attachments

• Coil Fields copy (WinCE).jpg
    Coil Fields copy (WinCE).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 483

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Remember when using the wot coil on the Explorer you will experience ground noise because they are very sensitive. You will most likely find that you will have to lower your sensitivty down considerably in the wet salty soil at the beach. Most times when I am using mine I rarely go above 20 in sensitivity. You can improve things by running in manual sensitivity, raise you sensitivity until you experience falsing then lower it until it stops. One problem you will experience is they can be difficult to pin point in high settings because the signal is so broad. You can generally get by by pushing pin pint button swing over the target gradually bringing the coil back towards you. Once you lose the signal the target is just in front of the coil. I have used mine for a few years and they are a great coil, I had one of the first ones released for the Sovereign and I really cleaned up with it as I was digging targets people previously couldnt reach. good hunting seeya Neilo ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Sovereign GT's, one is waterproofed for the surf, and both of them have the WOT coil. I loved my Excal in the past, but when I used it a couple weeks ago after not using it for many months, I could not get over the feeling I was hunting with a tiny coil and switched back to my Sov, I am so use to hunting beaches with the WOT now.

I may send Excal in and have a WOT put on it.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I wouldnt recommend putting a Wot on your excalibur, it makes the machine very hard to use in the water, the extra drag is murder. If you are using it in the surf you will need to do some muscle building. It might not be as bad in water with no current but it still will be hard work. If you have a balanced shaft it will be okay on the beach. If you do fit one try to get it fitted as a permanent connection wired into the machine dont use any joiners on the cable as they are prone to leaks and if they do leak can do major damage shorting out the detector. What ever you do good luck seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo,

I already hunt Daytona Beach in the water with my waterproofed Sov GT and WOT now up to chest deep, and for me it is not a problem at all. I have been hunting in the surf with the WOT for about 6 months.

It may just be me, but I have no more problem swinging the WOT in the water then I do the 10 inch coil on my Excal 1000, WOT coil is bigger, but it is also thiner and lighter to me. I will take the WOT over the 10 inch coil any time hunting beaches, in or out of the water.....

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Well, the WOT arrived yesterday!!
The first thing I did was weigh it and compared it to the stock 10.5 coil. It's only 3 ounces heavier. Not bad. Next, of course, I put it on the SE and took it to my backyard which which previously I have only gone over lightly. My house is not very old. My first impression was WOW! this thing covers a lot of square footage quick. The SE rang out a cent @6 inches, so I went into pinpoint mode and tried using both the DD cross and heel/toe methods and found that the crossing method with this coil seems to give a tighter location than the heel/toe method. Sure enough the penny was right where the SE told me it was. The "hot spot" is immediately in front of the shaft attachment. Only when I cranked up the sensitivity to 24 the SE started to get a little noisy but backing off just a bit quieted it down. I'm sure that different sites will vary. Tomorrow, I'm gonna take it to the beach and see what this baby is capable of!
I think this is gonna be a long happy relationship.

Pete

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to pinpoint on the wot is the "X" method, it is very accurate, at least on both of my Sov GT's.

It may not be good on small gold nugetts, but it sure rang loud and clear on a small ladies ring in 3 ft of water and 2 big scoops down with my beach brute II scoop a couple weeks ago.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread