would you buy?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be a penny/cents CRH dream?
An ad in a local classifieds
" These are all pre-1979 in original bank wrappers. We know that they are pre-1979 because they were part of a 500.00 bulk purchase in 1979. They are un-opened and may have many earlier coins included. They are solid copper, as mixed coins were not minted until the 1980's. Selling for less than the weight price of copper. Ten Thousand pennies for $200.00."

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats 2 cents a penny you would have to find some pretty good ones in there. And they might all be 1979's.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Does "mixed coins were not minted until the 1980's" mean mixed dates or mixed copper and zinc? I'm assuming the latter. U probably don't have much to loose because if they r mixed date rolls u should get some wheats even if they've been weighed to take out the best rolls. Idk, its kinda like all these sellers on ebay that sell rolls with the nice enders, u just don't know for sure what you'll get till u get it lol. It's like crhing but your paying more than face to hunt. Just have to calculate risk vs. reward and in this case there doesn't seem to be too much risk and maybe more reward. Good luck.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would offer $150 and pay a max of $175 for the lot. I am not a copper guy but it would be neat to have multiple sealed bank rolls of pennies from the 70's and older.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would be fun to search, but if you're looking for "value" its likely not there. Assuming a value of 1.2 cents per copper and 3 cents per wheat, you'll have to find over 4000 wheats in those 10,000 cents to break even and thats not going to happen. Even increasing the values to 1.5 and 4 cents respectively, it will take exactly 2000 wheats to get to "break even".

Of course any Indians, key/semi-key dates, rare varieties/errors, and/or high-grade coins can up an average pretty quickly. I've been saving and searching pocket change since before 1979. There weren't as many wheats floating around back then as you'd think. I've personally never found an Indian or semi-key date in pocket change or CRH for that matter. But none of that means anything really concerning these rolls. There might be a few 1909-S VDBs in there. However, my guess is that there is 300 wheats at most in those rolls and I'd expect the number to be much closer to 175-200.

At absolute worst, you're risking $100 to search 200 (hopefully) unopened rolls from 1979. If its worth it to you, then by all means go for it! Personally, I'd rather "gamble" that $100 on some silver, but its not my $100. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Still on my first cup of coffee and a little fuzzy-headed, so forgive me if my math is wrong. :laughing7:

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... should get some wheats even if they've been weighed to take out the best rolls..

???
Help enlighten this lost soul here.
I thought a wheatie cent weights as much as a pre-82 copper cent - both being 95% copper composition-no?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of my same sort of story. Back in the 1960's when my dad & I started coin collecting, we use to go to the banks and get bags of rolled pennies, ( just like we are all doing today), but in my case, it was a double jumbo bag ($50, 100 rolls) of all BU new 1962-d cents. I was going to pitch them, but dad convinced me to hold on to them as an investment. I still have them today, they haven't see the light of day since we sealed the bag up in 1962. I wonder what they might be worth? BU untouched since 1962. Hummmmm?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions