What's new

Would you rather find...

Any silver coin dated before 1916 that will give a grade of extremely fine to A.U. It seems that most silver coins that have been dug has some sort of defect. Probably one silver coin dug out of a hundred may look like its never been in the ground.
 
Iron Patch said:
On the topic of restoration, I'm not a big fan. My pet peeve is adding material to a find... just don't believe in it, but under the right circumstance would probably do it.

Might wanna consider that when you dig that super rare belt plate--and it comes up in three pieces. :wink:
 
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
On the topic of restoration, I'm not a big fan. My pet peeve is adding material to a find... just don't believe in it, but under the right circumstance would probably do it.

Might wanna consider that when you dig that super rare belt plate--and it comes up in three pieces. :wink:


Chances are we wouldn't find all three pieces.
 
rare for sure.
 
I'll take the extra rare in extra fine condition...oh its not an option then I'll just go with the extra rare.

I'll take an only known example of a corroded military button over the nicest ever dug Merc any day of the week. Value does not even have to be the same...hell it could be a 1916 D.

I love history and would rather find something historic then valuable.

NJ
 
N.J.THer said:
I'll take the extra rare in extra fine condition...oh its not an option then I'll just go with the extra rare.

I'll take an only known example of a corroded military button over the nicest ever dug Merc any day of the week. Value does not even have to be the same...hell it could be a 1916 D.

I love history and would rather find something historic then valuable.

NJ


The situation you describe pretty much happened to me in 2004! ;D A button (Rev War) rarer than rare but worth no more than a low grade 1916D.
 
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
I'll take the extra rare in extra fine condition...oh its not an option then I'll just go with the extra rare.

I'll take an only known example of a corroded military button over the nicest ever dug Merc any day of the week. Value does not even have to be the same...hell it could be a 1916 D.

I love history and would rather find something historic then valuable.

NJ


The situation you describe pretty much happened to me in 2004! ;D A button (Rev War) rarer than rare but worth no more than a low grade 1916D.

NJ I found exactly what you described, but actually it was in real good shape, but it has the category of Unique and even though I found it in 1994, to this day I believe it is still the only known example found. It would be a 100 on Jeff's scale, a true 100. :D

So, I would favor a extremely rare find in decent condition over a very common find in excellent shape.

1820 - United States Topographical Engineer button, Tice TE100, Albert's TE-1
USTEbetter.webp
Don
 
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
I'll take the extra rare in extra fine condition...oh its not an option then I'll just go with the extra rare.

I'll take an only known example of a corroded military button over the nicest ever dug Merc any day of the week. Value does not even have to be the same...hell it could be a 1916 D.

I love history and would rather find something historic then valuable.

NJ


The situation you describe pretty much happened to me in 2004! ;D A button (Rev War) rarer than rare but worth no more than a low grade 1916D.

NJ I found exactly what you described, but actually it was in real good shape, but it has the category of Unique and even though I found it in 1994, to this day I believe it is still the only known example found. It would be a 100 on Jeff's scale, a true 100. :D

So, I would favor a extremely rare find in decent condition over a very common find in excellent shape.

1820 - United States Topographical Engineer button, Tice TE100, Albert's TE-1


Don


No, it's not exactly what he described because the button is worth more than a merc dime. ;D ... oh and the condition doesn't suck enough either.

My button was actually in my detecting bag when I was hunting with you and I didn't even know! :tongue3:
 
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
I'll take the extra rare in extra fine condition...oh its not an option then I'll just go with the extra rare.

I'll take an only known example of a corroded military button over the nicest ever dug Merc any day of the week. Value does not even have to be the same...hell it could be a 1916 D.

I love history and would rather find something historic then valuable.

NJ


The situation you describe pretty much happened to me in 2004! ;D A button (Rev War) rarer than rare but worth no more than a low grade 1916D.

NJ I found exactly what you described, but actually it was in real good shape, but it has the category of Unique and even though I found it in 1994, to this day I believe it is still the only known example found. It would be a 100 on Jeff's scale, a true 100. :D

So, I would favor a extremely rare find in decent condition over a very common find in excellent shape.

1820 - United States Topographical Engineer button, Tice TE100, Albert's TE-1


Don


No, it's not exactly what he described because the button is worth more than a merc dime. ;D ... oh and the condition doesn't suck enough either.

My button was actually in my detecting bag when I was hunting with you and I didn't even know! :tongue3:

What I just learned: I'm the only one around here not finding awesome buttons...lol. My time will come.

Congrats to both of you...you both make some great discoveries.

NJ
 
I'll take anything I can get. You can't be picky, IP. :wink:
 
Great conversation!My situation is the "era",I hunt is relatively,under the radar....not many people are into it.So most of our items are rare,to the market....if a market did exist,but there lies the problem,no collector base aside from a small circle.Our items if represented for what they are are thrown into another era(wrongly)and discounted,now take that same item and say it was found somewhere else and was from such a such and watch the prices go!!!
 
kuger said:
Great conversation!My situation is the "era",I hunt is relatively,under the radar....not many people are into it.So most of our items are rare,to the market....if a market did exist,but there lies the problem,no collector base aside from a small circle.Our items if represented for what they are are thrown into another era(wrongly)and discounted,now take that same item and say it was found somewhere else and was from such a such and watch the prices go!!!

Pop tops?? :wink:
 
Shoot, I get a lot of enjoyment out of almost everything I find. My favorite piece is really old and in great shape and rare, but it has little value, maybe $1000.00 at best, however, it represents years and years of early exploration and history. If it's not pure "junk" I enjoy unearthing it.
 
N.J.THer said:
kuger said:
Great conversation!My situation is the "era",I hunt is relatively,under the radar....not many people are into it.So most of our items are rare,to the market....if a market did exist,but there lies the problem,no collector base aside from a small circle.Our items if represented for what they are are thrown into another era(wrongly)and discounted,now take that same item and say it was found somewhere else and was from such a such and watch the prices go!!!

Pop tops?? :wink:

Ha!Yea,kind of "beating around the bush",......to stay under the radar,after all I dont dig for profit :thumbsup:
 
kuger said:
N.J.THer said:
kuger said:
Great conversation!My situation is the "era",I hunt is relatively,under the radar....not many people are into it.So most of our items are rare,to the market....if a market did exist,but there lies the problem,no collector base aside from a small circle.Our items if represented for what they are are thrown into another era(wrongly)and discounted,now take that same item and say it was found somewhere else and was from such a such and watch the prices go!!!

Pop tops?? :wink:

Ha!Yea,kind of "beating around the bush",......to stay under the radar,after all I dont dig for profit :thumbsup:

Thats cool...I had to bust your chops a little. :smileinbox:
 
allen said:
much rather find something really rare in poor condition.
most of my finds are in poor condition, just not rare... :laughing7:
Had to pull that quote Allen, considering your latest find.
 
At this point, I would be happy to find ANYTHING, however, if I had to choose, I would say rare in not so good condition every time. Even if not in great shape, I feel the best thing about finding treasures is to have something you don't come by every day.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom